Positional independent DMD window now a reality.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
There is already an answer to this from noex himself like five posts above.
No, there will only be one DMD floating around.
The stretched aspect ratio is still needed if you want the playfield to properly fit the screen.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
There is already an answer to this from noex himself like five posts above.
No, there will only be one DMD floating around.
The stretched aspect ratio is still needed if you want the playfield to properly fit the screen.

Doh...didnt see that...I even checked twice to see if there was anything on this... :) I shall have a word with myself :)

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
The monitors have not to be placed in a T shape anymore but next to each other and there is only one DMD visible, which can be moved and resized.
Exiting news even for me who does not 'yet' own any kind of pincab setup (maybe I can build a small support and just put the monitors in when I want the real deal).

Now I use all 3 views (wouldn't mind a fourth.... cough...) and was wondering if the movable/stretchable DMD can have position data for each view? So when I switch view it wont get a DMD in an awkward part of the screed.

Thank god for NoEx

NoEx

Mar 12, 2015
This is not planned for now, as the backglass / dmd are only displayed when the cabinet mode is ON and on a 2 or 3 screens setup, the DMD isn't supposed to be displayed on the playfield monitor.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
NoEx's Camera Mod v1.4 IS OUT!
Full 3 screen movable dmd support is ready to try
head on over to the camera mod subforum to check it out, updated setup guide, updated backglass files all are ready to go
A big thanks to NoEx for all the hardwork! I'm excited to see how all you 3 screen cab players like it.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
NoEx's Camera Mod v1.4 IS OUT!
Full 3 screen movable dmd support is ready to try
head on over to the camera mod subforum to check it out, updated setup guide, updated backglass files all are ready to go
A big thanks to NoEx for all the hardwork! I'm excited to see how all you 3 screen cab players like it.

Gonna have a look now... :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Ok...Ive made a start. Having a few issues, although its more than likely me, not the mod.

After a few tweeks, Ive managed to get the backglass images on the correct screen, but the images are not filling the screen, just part of it. Im guessing this could be a conflict of resolution settings, but Ill try changing the tv res and see if that works.

Managed to get the moveable window onto the correct screen, but whilst it is moveable, its not the whole dmd, just a small part of it...the rest of the window is 'part of the table'. Ive obviously messed up somewhere there, so will need to suss that out.

Also, for some reason, the whole thing is really stuttering. Not sure why, its never done that before. Perhaps its the window mode, but haven't tried altering anything until Ive sussed out the above.

Slowly getting there, and will work on sussing out the above, but not bad so far as Im not really that well up on computers.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Well...Ive give up for the night. Really having difficulty getting it working. Im pretty much 100% its me because Im not overly familiar with the mod, but I'm getting there slowly. So far Ive managed to set everything up perfectly with the mod showing in windowed mode. It's all running smooth now for some reason and the dmd is aligned perfectly, and saved too. However, when I then go to run the game in fullscreen mode, the dmd monitor is blank/black and I've tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to work. It works fine when i go back into windowed mode, although I do have to click on the bring to front button, but other than that, its fine.

Noex/Robert...if ur able to advise that'd be great. Cant wait to get this sussed cause it looks great when everything runs in tandem. And Robert, is there any chance of sending me the raw backglass images so that I can resize them to suit my monitor? My monitor res is 1920 x 1080 (i think) and as far as Im aware, there are no camera files at this res.

Great work guys by the way. Please let me know if i need to be posting this in the other section of the forum (freecameramod) as Im not 100% sure if I should be or not. Thanks in advance. :)

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Heya L33
You have to run the mod in windows mode.its the only way to stretch the screen to make the mod work properly.Its running as a borderless window which fills the screen like fullscreen anyways.

I'll update setup guide to clarify.

The backglass files can be resized as you wish(try setting your backglass monitor resolution to 1600x1200 if possible tho)..heck resize em all and post em as an alternate resolution pack for others to use, it was always the intent to be a community project in this regard. :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Heya L33
You have to run the mod in windows mode.its the only way to stretch the screen to make the mod work properly.Its running as a borderless window which fills the screen like fullscreen anyways.

I'll update setup guide to clarify.

The backglass files can be resized as you wish(try setting your backglass monitor resolution to 1600x1200 if possible tho)..heck resize em all and post em as an alternate resolution pack for others to use, it was always the intent to be a community project in this regard. :)

Ah right...so when it comes to playing the game for real, you play it in windowed mode? For some reason I thought you set everything up in windowed mode, then played the game in fullscreen mode.Not sure why I thought that. I'll try that in the morning then.

Regarding the backglass images...I didn't realise png files were lossless (a quick google) so yeah, I'll just resize them to suit. For some reason I thought they were jpeg which don't like being overly compressed etc.

I'll have another go at setup tomorrow and sort the above out first and see how I get on. I have a feeling the backglass images are a little to one side for some reason but I'll have a better idea once resized...is there a way to shift them over a bit do you know?

Cheers for the reply by the way...cant wait to get this working :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Cheers for the help last night Robert...made some progress this morning.

First off, now I'm running the game in windowed mode the dmd does appear on start up. One thing Ive noticed i have to do on loading the first game, is to click on 'bring to front' to bring the dmd to the forefront. Not sure if there is a way to make this automatic, but it only has to be clicked on once and it will stay in the forefront even when selecting another table. I'll probably look at making a black trim around my dmd panel the same shape as the virtual dmd silver border...that way it'll look an absolutely perfect fit.

I tried copying the dmd saved file for a few other games. First off was Addams Family. Then I realised that this is a different shape with the 'thing' letters at the bottom. So I 'cropped' the letters off and just had the dmd show instead. It's so easy to drag, size and save the virtual dmd. So I'll work through each of the tables manually.

Ive also resized a couple of test images to 1920 x 1080. This size works well, although it could do with a slight shift to one side...not sure if thats possible?

Anyhow, overall this mod is the dogs doodahs! Im going to have to go through every table and manually set everything up, but I guess everyone has to do this as everyones table setup is different from the next. Having tried a couple of games, its so much different having the dmd in place and the backglass image is the icing on the cake. Ive a lot of setting up to do regarding the camera angles etc, but I'm actually looking forward to doing this.

Once again, cheers for the help, and MASSIVE credit to noex because this mod is just genius. Once Ive finished setting everything up I shall make sure to click on that little beer icon on the mod :) I feel a new video coming on...Ha Ha!

This is as close to the real thing as one can get, and to be honest, playing the game like this makes you more likely to go out and buy the real deal. Ive already started looking :)

(EDIT) Just had a thought on the DMD...when its resized it keeps its aspect ratio...is there a way to resize without keeping this ratio? For instance, F14 dmd is quite a bit longer and not as high as some, so when you resize it, its not possible to get it to fit without losing some of the display and when it does fit, there are noticeable gaps. Being able to free transform the dmd would solve these issues.

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
ya my source art was mostly lower res pics from other backglass files i've collected from various sources..just been doing alot of cropping and combining ect.
my monitors are 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 but they both display 1600x1200,
if you use irfanview to resize them to 1920x1080 if you don't want to change the resolution of your backglass monitor

edit: all the alpha numeric scores won't fit your dmd window perfectly..they were never built with the same proportians as DMD's right now best you can do is scale and position as large as possible with no loss. Tables like Centaur will be worse since those scores were actually on the backglass themselves.
NoEx would have to comment on the feasibility of stretching in one direction..might be a good topic for a specific feature request thread in the Camera Mod forum honestly tho.

also if you set the background wallpaper color of your dmd monitor black..or charcoal grey..you won't need to create a bezel

edit again! LOL Lets see a video of your progress L33! :)

Last edited:

Nate

Jan 20, 2015
NOEX you sir are a great man!!! Thank you!! Is there any chance of setting up your program so that it doesnt depend on the version # of the game??? I ask because I am on TPA's ongoing beta test team and because of that i only get to enjoy TPA on my cab for at the most a couple weeks a month, the rest of the time I am playing on a single screen because we often get 5+ beta builds in between official releases and each one carries a different version number which prevents me from running the mod. Since your code is all external and doesnt actually do anything to the software is there a simple way we can make it work? because right now if i want to play using the camera mod i have to opt out of the beta on steam and download the official build and to beta test the current build which is just too time consuming with my internet cause im on the outskirts of the city and very slow dsl is all thats available to me. And if i have to choose beta testing will always take priority over cabinet play, i really wish i could do both at the same time because my cabinet ends up going untouched for weeks at a time since i hardly play VP anymore and zen is just alitTPStle goofy to me after a game or two. Even if this isnt a possibility thats ok I will live and i thank you for what you have done for ALL of us TPA players that get to enjoy a more realistic and fun pinsim experience!

Pinandy

Aug 30, 2012
You're welcome.
It took me not really time.
I did it with an App called BatchImageResizer on my Mac.
So it was done in an minute. ;)

At this point a big thanks to Noex and Robert.
Really, really great work.
Playing TPA is so much more fun now.
Thanks !!

Ginsonic

Sep 25, 2015
Thanks, thanks, thanks NoEx and Robert ! The new floating DMD mod is amazing, it lifts TPA up into new dimensions :D

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
great work Moewe! You should add a thread for 1920x1080 media pack in the freecamera mod subforum a ton of others will be appreciative :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.