DX11 Public Beta Bugs

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Nvidia's actually throwing in 2 games - Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight.

In order to also get Batman Arkham Knight, you have to purchase a (non-mobile version) GTX 970 or GTX 980. (I was within minutes of getting the 970 till I realized it would have been a stretch for my current power supply both connector-wise and suggested wattage-wise. At which time I decided to instead get the GTX 960 which gets just Witcher 3.) Note: I don't think that all vendors are providing these games on behalf of Nvidia. Here is an article from Nvidia about their current offer: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...witcher-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle

Last edited:

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
In order to also get Batman Arkham Knight, you have to purchase a (non-mobile version) GTX 970 or GTX 980. (I was within minutes of getting the 970 till I realized it would have been a stretch for my current power supply both connector-wise and suggested wattage-wise. At which time I decided to instead get the GTX 960 which gets just Witcher 3.) Note: I don't think that all vendors are providing these games on behalf of Nvidia. Here is an article from Nvidia about their current offer: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...witcher-3-wild-hunt-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle

Getting just Witcher 3 is already a bargain
Supposed to be a top game

Bruno

Apr 30, 2014
I tried Overclocking adjusting the voltage too. Did not help on my AMD R7770. Oh well, the Nvidia GTX 960 is now scheduled to arrive here in two days, Friday. And to answer your rhetorical question, Bruno.. It will wind up costing me, after rebates and shipping, $190 U.S. Since I agree with you that it could be related to an optimization issue (or I sometimes wonder if there could be a driver related conflict involved too), it would have been harder for me to justify this purchase in my mind if it wasn't my birthday coming up. :) (NVidia is throwing in a free Witcher 3 game at least, too.) I am hoping this new GTX 960 graphics card not only fixes lag in certain DX11 tables such as CV (and Black Hole I just confirmed is slow on my R7770 like yours too), but I also hope the GTX 960 will improve the pixelation I get on object edges in even other tables such as Addams Family (which is one where I get a nice 60 FPS). Plus moving to this more modern generation GTX 960 certainly will help me on other games if I ever find the time to play them.

I'm also planning on buying a gtx 960, maybe this summer, but can't really afford it right now. Let us knows if it fixes the fps drop issue.

I hope they optimize the dx11 build, as a lot of PA fans don't use a 200$ gpu.

hitman12

Jun 11, 2014
Don't need gpu for 200 bucks,DX11 is poorly optimized,on my GT710m most of tables running in 60 fps,only few of them having slowdowns.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Don't need gpu for 200 bucks,DX11 is poorly optimized,on my GT710m most of tables running in 60 fps,only few of them having slowdowns.

I agree that it's an optimization problem, which I hope for all that Farsight resolves before the DX11 versions leave Beta. And since this is the DX11 Bugs thread, it's good that so many of us have mentioned it here. I would not have bought the new more modern NVidia graphics card if it was just for the few tables that I have lag on. But, rather, I am also hoping that it improves the object edge distortion/pixelation that I see on all the tables (such as on the edge of ramps, etc.). And heck, my wife wanted me to get a birthday present anyways, so it's a good time to be more frivolous!

Last edited:

Arcade

Apr 21, 2015
I am playing on and old ATI 5670 and AMD Phenom 2 CPU in my cabinet.
I am not maxed out on settings but I am running a respectable
and ball lighting turned on with no problems. Nice smooth gameplay. Some slowdown on Funhouse and CV, but hoping that will be fixed with optimization.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I'm also planning on buying a gtx 960, maybe this summer, but can't really afford it right now. Let us knows if it fixes the fps drop issue.

I hope they optimize the dx11 build, as a lot of PA fans don't use a 200$ gpu.

I have the newly arrived Nvidia GTX 960 installed tonight, which has replaced my AMD R7770. It has indeed fixed the fps drop in CV and Black Hole. (Approximately doubling the fps from before on those two tables, that are amongst those tables that many of us feel are unoptimized in the DX11 implementation.) In fact I was even able to crank the MSAA to 8 without experiencing lag, something I could not do before on any of the tables under DX11. Even with MSAA=8, I am now still getting 60 FPS in Cirqus V. I was hoping that the new card and drivers would also fix the shimmering/pixelation I saw on the edge of objects (such as the horizontal bars over ramps) when there is screen movement in DX11 version. But it did not fix that, so I wonder if what I have been seeing in that case is the same for everyone. Or, is there some setting I should be changing in the Nvidia Control Panel to help with this, such as an Aliasing setting? (I already have all the TPA DX11 Config settings cranked to their maximum.)

Last edited:
R

Rhandos

I was hoping that the new card and drivers would also fix the shimmering/pixelation I saw on the edge of objects (such as the horizontal bars over ramps) when there is screen movement in DX11 version.
Are you talking about that static grid that seems to be over the entire screen and is visible with camera movement? That bug has been there since DX9. It vanishes only when post processing is turned off so I assume there is some scaling problem in the PP code that causes this weird grid/image shift. Out of interest, what is your resolution? I see it in 1680×1050 (16:10) in DX9, but not yet in the DX11 beta running in 1080p (16:9).

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Mark & Rhandos

Still not sure what you are talking about, but I play in portrait mode and have no camera movement.
Could this be a work-around for your problem?

p6800

May 17, 2013

Just got a "like new" gtx 760 for 150$, replacing my dead 7770, still on a 1280x1080 monitor. dx11@2560x1920, 4x, 100, 16 = butter smooth CIV! :D

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Just got a "like new" gtx 760 for 150$, replacing my dead 7770, still on a 1280x1080 monitor. dx11@2560x1920, 4x, 100, 16 = butter smooth CIV! :D
wut? 1280x1080? what kind of monitor is this? Do you mean 1280x1024?

p6800

May 17, 2013
wut? 1280x1080? what kind of monitor is this? Do you mean 1280x1024?

Yup, my bad! It's a 19" with 1280x1024.

2560x1920 buffers is too much even for this card on civ multiball... During crazy action it sometimes goes to 56-57-58, just enough to distract... Guess it needs MOAR gpu power, lower buffers, or some more optimization.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Yup, my bad! It's a 19" with 1280x1024.

2560x1920 buffers is too much even for this card on civ multiball... During crazy action it sometimes goes to 56-57-58, just enough to distract... Guess it needs MOAR gpu power, lower buffers, or some more optimization.

I think you should use a 5:4 backbuffer on your 5:4 monitor.
1280x1024 or 1600x1280 require less gpu power.
Now you can try to maxmize the remaining settings (8x,100,16).

Last edited:

p6800

May 17, 2013
I think you should use a 5:4 backbuffer on your 5:4 monitor.

You are right. At first i thought it's an issue with 5:4 stuff, but after two alt enters the image is on all the pixels of the screen, no black bars on either side.

Took screens from 1600x1280, to 2880x2304.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2ufw5dzu/

First is blurry, last needs more gpu power. 2560x2048 with some optimization from the devs could be best.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Are you talking about that static grid that seems to be over the entire screen and is visible with camera movement? That bug has been there since DX9. It vanishes only when post processing is turned off so I assume there is some scaling problem in the PP code that causes this weird grid/image shift. Out of interest, what is your resolution? I see it in 1680×1050 (16:10) in DX9, but not yet in the DX11 beta running in 1080p (16:9).

I am in 1920x1080 or 1080x1920, so 1080p. With AMD drivers under DX9 I was able to reduce the jaggie edges some by using the Catalyst Control Center setting of Supersampling Anti-Aliasing Method. Since I just installed the new card last night, I haven't tried Nvidia Control Panel settings for this at all in DX9 or DX11. (DX9 didn't look that great when I tried briefly with Nividia Defaults last night.)

Last edited:

frostyarcade

Apr 15, 2015
You are right. At first i thought it's an issue with 5:4 stuff, but after two alt enters the image is on all the pixels of the screen, no black bars on either side.

Took screens from 1600x1280, to 2880x2304.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2ufw5dzu/

First is blurry, last needs more gpu power. 2560x2048 with some optimization from the devs could be best.

Very nice. I hope they add support for 5:4/4:5 screens at native resolutions! Still getting my image cropped out, unless I want letter boxing at higher back buffers.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Mark & Rhandos

Still not sure what you are talking about, but I play in portrait mode and have no camera movement.
Could this be a work-around for your problem?

Yes, even in DX9 version tests (with now Nvidia defaults) the jaggies are bad for me when there is camera movement, for example when the camera is moving to display the plunger for a new ball or moves back to the playfield. (Or in the initial fly over of the table.) However once the ball is in motion on the playfield and I have the table locked, the jaggies are gone. (With exceptions, for example the two horizontal parallel ramp rails/pipes immediately behind the electric chair in Addams Family always has jaggies for me even on a locked camera.) Note: When I had the AMD in DX9 using Supersampling Anti-Aliasing, the jaggies were much reduced when there was camera movement.

In DX11, with AMD I did not use the Supersampling because of performance issues. And I am not sure it helped anyways in DX11.

For NVidia I haven't tried anything but the Nvidia Control panel defaults yet in DX9 or DX11. I will have to learn the Nvidia control panel, or search other threads for what other users may be using under DX9 at least.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts