Good solution for rotating a monitor from portrait to landscape?

Nolan

Jan 19, 2014
DX11 has finally pushed me over the edge, I need to play this game in portrait mode.

Does anyone use a normal monitor with some kind of rotating vesa mount arm to rotate it in and out of portrait when you want to play?

is such a thing viable?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Dell makes a line of monitors that have rotation built into the stand. Check out there site or maybe Newegg. I am sure there are probably some mounts has well. I think maybe Planar makes some.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Asus VG248QE. Nuff said. Actually any of its sister monitors would do just fine, I happen to have that one and it's been rock solid since day 1. 1ms response time @ 144hz. Refresh rate not an issue for TPA which locks at 60hz but the response time practically eliminates flipper lag.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
funny you should ask
I just bought one that does just this. Its fantasic since I can setup in cab mode(with second monitor as Backglass), or as single portrait mode but on a 45 degree angle for better depth perception..or just landscape for other stuff.
this is the one i ordered.(i ended up with a clone actually that isn't rated for the same weight ..but it workedout ok..but that a seller issue vs product)
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00EQ7HTG6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Its currently holding up with a 27 Viewsonic VG2728wm with vesa 100x200 adapter just fine even tho its about 4 pounds over the rated weight for the one that was sent.

heres 3 pics in different configurations.

cWSptAX.png
standard dual monitor mode
qxn2SCV.png
TPA portrait mode camera 4 mode
VZlovjz.png
Dual Monitor with Backglass support mode. It can lay much flatter but untill i get a pinball controller that works well while sitting

Nolan

Jan 19, 2014
Thanks for the heads up guys.

Id love to find some way to justify a whole new monitor, especially that one, but Im looking to spend as little as possible.

That arm looks good, is it pretty simple to rotate? Does it require any kind of lock and or tension adjustment, or is it just a simple grab and rotate?

Does PBA have a similar backglass mode? Thats damn cool.

I found this guy that might fit my weird playstation monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Easy-Adjust-Monitor-Stand-MS110MB/dp/B0013CD0DI

I think that arm gives me far more options, and for only 10$ more, thanks a bunch.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'm just using 2 monitors in my PC set up. One in each orientation. So yeah, I essentially have a monitor solely for TPA.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I'm counting the days until you guys build cabinets

They come in all sizes you know. You just need two old monitors, some wood or cardboard...
Some guy even came up with the portable cab made out of a laptop plus monitor for the weekend trip to his mother in law.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks for the heads up guys.

That arm looks good, is it pretty simple to rotate? Does it require any kind of lock and or tension adjustment, or is it just a simple grab and rotate?

Does PBA have a similar backglass mode? Thats damn cool.

I found this guy that might fit my weird playstation monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Easy-Adjust-Monitor-Stand-MS110MB/dp/B0013CD0DI

I think that arm gives me far more options, and for only 10$ more, thanks a bunch.

the arm is very easy to adjust its got a gas spring inside that you can adjust the with an allen key so the weight of the monitor is balanced and just floats.
Pull forward up down twist to portrait (either direction) its worth it.

Nolan

Jan 19, 2014
I'm just using 2 monitors in my PC set up. One in each orientation. So yeah, I essentially have a monitor solely for TPA.

This is entirely the right way to go, and I am ashamed Ive been doing it wrong for so long.

I'm counting the days until you guys build cabinets

They come in all sizes you know. You just need two old monitors, some wood or cardboard...
Some guy even came up with the portable cab made out of a laptop plus monitor for the weekend trip to his mother in law.

Ive actually made my own fight stick and have the beginning of a MAME cab in my garage. Once Im done MAME, this would probably be a cool project.

the arm is very easy to adjust its got a gas spring inside that you can adjust the with an allen key so the weight of the monitor is balanced and just floats.
Pull forward up down twist to portrait (either direction) its worth it.

Went with the arm you recommended, thanks a bunch sir.

Nolan

Jan 19, 2014
appreciated sir!

Got it all set up, just need some tension adjustments and cleanup and Ill be ready to go.

Its beautiful

YZj6Hf0.gif

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
glad it worked out for you!
I feel like its the first stage towards pincab club..but its very practical and not to expensive so its easy to justify :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.