So Zen visited Stern today...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Anyone see this? It was posted by Stern in the Twitter feed and on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153368360379244

Now check out the comments, specifically this exchange...

Mike Haakenson If somehow a deal could be made for a company like zen to make digital versions of the new games so you could try them out I think it would increase interest in buying a new in box for some people.
Like · Reply · 12 hours ago

Stern Pinball ........
Like · 7 hours ago

Mike Haakenson This blank response excites me!
Like · 7 hours ago

Eric J. Rodriguez I'd be bummed if Zen did it, only because Farsight has eons more experience with Stern's machines than anybody else digitally.

Curious, no? FarSight has the license to Stern and I don't know that there is an end date to that. If FarSight loses it to Zen, that'd be a major blow. And the reason I think it makes sense happening is Zen has proven they can deal with big time licenses and are willing to kick in the money for them. I don't know, what do you guys think? Would you trust a Stern Facebook post for anything more than them just messing with people?

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I'd still like to see Farsight making Stern machines; so many are left to be digitized. Zen's games, as much as I like them, doesn't feel close to a real game.

Someone has to do SAM and Spike emulation, and if I'm correct, someone at Farsight handles the ROMs for almost each game...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Which begs the question...how long can FarSight claim they can't do it before they need to figure out how to do it? Because that is the surest way to lose something. We heard last year Stern say they were interested in making digital versions of the tables right before they actually came out as a way of both testing and building up excitement, but the inference was they were looking to do it in house and not through FarSight. I know FS is in communication with Stern regularly, so who knows. I just don't want them to fumble away modern releases because they either can't pay for big ticket licenses or can't figure out how to emulate the tables. And we all know, it's not that they can't emulate the tables, it's that they can't emulate for all platforms and older operating systems.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Hmm...
First thing that came to my mind is that maybe it's the other way round. Maybe Stern wants to integrate virtual game elements in their physical machines. The spike platform could handle it I guess...

Anyway, SAM Emulation already works well on VP. And with newer platforms being more and more similar to a pc environment there may be not much need for emulation...

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
This would be a blow to Farsight if it happened (though I'm not sure of the legal possibility of it, given the contracts). But I think the key difference is that Farsight are unable to emulate current Stern systems, but Zen will be able to recreate them with some accuracy, as their experience is of building game rules from scratch. Though it will be a waste if Zen don't build some more accurate ball physics.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
If Stern wants to show off new machines virtually I hope they talk to Farsight first. Maybe they could even help with the licensing since they could wrap up the virtual rights (if one can call 'em that) at the same time with no or little extra cost; could be a win win.

I would be really bummed out if Zen 'bought out' Farsight.... I just don't play the FX tables, they feel weird :cool:
Maybe I should buy a couple before I commit myself eh?

Should one post to support Farsight in that thread.... a dammit, I will just post a little reminder under Rod...

Argh, the worries of the privileged ;)

wolfson

May 24, 2013
mates how many Sterns have we got in TPA !!!:cool: NOT MANY. who cares who does the Sterns,i buy all tables from TPA and ZEN so it doesn`t bother me who does them. :p i pre ordered Batman today then end of august pre order MAD MAX,FORZA 6,then November NEED FOR SPEED !!! PROJECT CARS has been great,well done to our Pommy cousins for a game well done!!!:cool:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
If FS isn't going to make them, then I'm fine with Zen doing them. Let Zen or ASK also take EMs as FS ignores them as well.
I'd prefer FS make them all, but they seem to either have no interest in, or not capable of making these types of pins happen.
Just my worthless opinion of course.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
If FS isn't going to make them, then I'm fine with Zen doing them. Let Zen or ASK also take EMs as FS ignores them as well.
I'd prefer FS make them all, but they seem to either have no interest in, or not capable of making these types of pins happen.
Just my worthless opinion of course.

If Farsight won't make EMs I highly doubt Zen would. Have you been on their forums? At the worst of times they view any real machine as if they're EMs.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Why can't FS cobble together the money/resources to license stern's latest machines?

Because money doesn't grow on trees. AND they can't emulate the ROM for newer Sterns (yet?) so they can't even make the latest machines digitally, AND androids and iphones aren't powerful enough to handle the modern Stern ROM anyway so they would be looking at a much smaller market to sell the tables to. Not a viable business model at the present time. Hopefully will be in the future when/if mobile devices have enough processing power and more people play The Pinball Arcade.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
If Farsight won't make EMs I highly doubt Zen would. Have you been on their forums? At the worst of times they view any real machine as if they're EMs.

I was thinking more Zen for the newer Sterns and ASK for the EM's. ASK is currently doing Zacc EMs and doing a smashing job on them.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
When does Farsight's contract with Stern end, I wonder? Perhaps Stern are getting tired of Farsight choosing the dregs of the Stern tables (due to licensing and technology issues), and are going to a company with licensing pulling power and who are able to build complex tables from the ground up, removing the need for emulation?

This is all complete speculation, please don't make me start a rumour.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Speculation or not, it would make sense. Not a lot of Stern pins reproduced and nothing new. Probably not the boost in pin sales I assume Stern was looking for.

Speculation of course on my part.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
I am probably in the minority, especially here... but I really like the feel of the Zen tables better. I am an old guy who played plenty of real pinball back in the day, and really love Pinball Arcade alot. But the "feel" of the Zen pinball engine is more fun to play on a game console IMO.

One thing for sure is I play too much on both games... and not any real tables any more.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I would think Zen would tweak their physics to match an actual table. Also, the can do ball spin which is huge. I just want to see FarSight put up a fight and get in the game with modern pin.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
I would think Zen would tweak their physics to match an actual table. Also, the can do ball spin which is huge. I just want to see FarSight put up a fight and get in the game with modern pin.

Agreed. If Zen were to recreate current Stern tables I have to wonder if they would be able to control themselves and not add in all the useless and obnoxious animation!!

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Exactly.

If Zen can swing it, I say go for it.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I hope Stern stays with Farsight - ZEN tables look very nice but also very cartoony (i.e. not photo-realistic - not that TPA does but they are a lot closer to that look than ZEN) and ZEN table physics don't feel real, TPA does better than that department.
I'm sure if Stern would privide Farsight with the original artwork files so Farsight would not have to tear a table apart in order to take photos of the playfield and plastics they could have (even) sharper looking tables... so I hope they manage to secure some sort of working-together-better deal.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts