The Movies I Saw In 2014

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Apparently I forgot to do this back in January, so I'm correcting that error...7 months late.

MOST LIKED 2014
John Wick*
The Raid 2
Gone Girl*
Birdman*
X-Men: Days of Future Past*
The Way, Way Back
Her
Guardians of the Galaxy*
Edge of Tomorrow
Mad Max: Fury Road (Trailers 1 & 2)

Yes, I put the trailers for Mad Max on this list because they were hands down some of the best things I saw all year. Guardians and Edge of Tomorrow only made the cut because I wanted 10 things on here. The surprise for me was how much I enjoyed The Way, Way Back. It struck a chord with me, partly because I worked at a water park in my youth. It’s also got a very dry sense of humor, which I like. John Wick turned out to be what I thought The Raid 2 would be, pure action with little story. The Raid 2 instead had a very complex story, while still having some of the most brutal action sequences ever.

By the way, the * means I saw it in the theater.

BETTER THAN AVERAGE
The Hobbit: Battle of the 5 Armies*
The Lego Movie*
Godzilla*
Interstellar*
About Time
Wolf of Wall Street
In A World…
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I thought I’d like Lego, Interstellar, and Hobbit more than I actually did, and was not expecting to like Godzilla as much. So my expectations kinda outshined my overall enjoyment. Compare that to In A World… and About Time, of which I had no clue what to expect and I found myself really enjoying. In the grand scheme of things though, The Hobbit is the one movie that I could change my mind on and bump up to the Most Liked category.

MOVIES I HATED
I, Frankenstein
12 Years A Slave
Beasts of the Southern Wild
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Identity Thief
Pompeii
300: Rise of an Empire

Let’s just say I was complaining about these while watching. I knew 12 Years a Slave was going to be tough to watch, but wow. Spoiler alert, he’s a slave for 12 years. And it sucked. End of movie! I had to immediately watch Django Unchained afterwards to cleanse my pallet and see get some satisfaction. Beasts of the Southern Wild didn’t even bother to have a story. It was no Tree of Life, but it was close. Can’t believe the Academy gets suckered by these kinds of clap trap. The other movies, I don’t suspect anyone would argue with me over. And I kinda knew they’d make this list before even viewing one minute.

SPECIAL AWARDS
Movie I knew would suck but I watched anyways: G.I. Joe Retaliation
Movie I thought would suck but didn’t: We’re the Millers
Movie I regret paying for: Monty Python Live (presentation was weird)
The “curse you shakey-cam!” award: Captain Phillips, Beasts of Southern
The “maybe I just don’t get it” award: Young Frankenstein
Movie I’m glad I turned off 30 minutes into: I, Frankenstein
Movie I realized I didn’t wanna watch within 5 minutes: Much Ado
Movie I wish I’d turned off but didn’t: Beasts of the Southern Wild
Movie I could have immediately watched a 2nd time: John Wick
The “why did you have to remake that?” award: Robocop, Brick Mansions
The “well that was depressing” award: 12 Years a Slave, Prisoners

EVERYTHING ELSE I SAW IN 2014
22 Jump Street
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Robocop
3 Days to Kill
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Bad Words
Divergent
Non-Stop
Bad Grandpa
Muppets Most Wanted*
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Brick Mansions
Walk of Shame
Snow Piercer
Monty Python Live*
Expendables 3
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay*
Enough Said
American Hustle
Anchorman 2
47 Ronin
Grudge Match
Ender’s Game
Thor: The Dark World
Runner Runner
Captain Phillips
Escape Plan
The Counselor
Riddick
Prisoners
Rush
2 Guns
Elysium
We’re the Millers
Kick Ass 2
The World’s End
Pacific Rim
R.I.P.D.
Red 2
The Conjuring
The Internship
This Is The End
Much Ado About Nothing
Man of Steel
The Heat
The Great Gatsby
The Hangover Pt. 3
Pain and Gain
Jack the Giant Slayer
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Admission
Bullet to the Head
Gangster Squad
Young Frankenstein

And there we have it. 80 movies seen, 12 in the theater. Main reason for the uptick, and the lack of quality, was I had free Cinemax for a while, and I pretty much anything that remotely interests me. And yes, that means I'm interested in a lot of crap flicks!

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Wow, nice repertoire.
Agree mostly with your top 10!
but I would put grand Budapest hotel more at the top (fanboy) and also Pacific rim, which was just too colorful not to be great.
Or were they 2013?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
No, both Budapest and Pac Rim were 2014. I just rewatched Grand Budapest and had the exact same feeling as before. It just doesn't have any magic to me. There are plenty of moments in it I liked, but they never came together as a whole. Pacific Rim was entertaining while I watched it, and then I promptly forgot everything that happened in it. I literally could not tell you a single plot moment if asked. I also just watched Cap 'Merica: Winter Soldier again, that could see that clawing its way into the 'better than average' category. It's weird looking over this list so far removed from when I made it. Thankfully I still stand by it!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.