A new app on the way from Stern and Farsight

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
And I probably care only if it's on PC. Or XBox360, since I have one somewhere. If enough stuff comes out on tiny-screen devices, I might start looking for a textbook to Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Mobile.

But it would probably be financial suicide to not release on console.

From what I've seen on the boards, it's actually a kick in the wallet to release on consoles. One of the things that initially held up the release patches on the 360 (before Crave went belly-up) was M$ charging $40K per patch to release on the 360. Apparently Sony does the same thing. That's why releases are so intermittent, bugs go un-fixed even more than on Mobile/PC platforms.

And that's why I migrated to PC for TPA. Glad I did, especially now that Zaccaria has been greenlit for steam. I don't think mobile is a good platform for anything other than "match-3" or RTS games. As a retro-gaming fan, I will say the classics do not translate well to mobile systems. Too bad mobile is the wave of the gaming future.

Mobile is fine for music, tv/movies on the go, and, um, well, phone service, but not for gaming IMO.

Last edited:

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Whilst the purest might not like mobile. It can't be beaten for playing on the move and accessibility. Mobile allows me far more play time compared to pc/console. Especially when sharing a TV with family and having a job involving travel. Mobile is also harder and more suited to portrait play.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Amen to that! I couldn't get the playing time in on console or PC, so I'm strictly on iPad. I'll play anywhere with Wifi.

mewzard

Apr 18, 2015
I'm completely the opposite. I can barely stand phone/tablet gaming, unless it's something well designed for it (playing Myst on the iPad? That can work).

I use a PS4 controller on the PC for that feel that works fairly well (I'd prefer a proper cabinet if possible, but that's just not financially viable for me at the moment).

But yeah, looking forward to seeing what games come with the Stern App. I'm hoping we get a release date soon.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Playing pinball on tiny screens just doesn't feel right to me either, especially with PA, where you're getting an immersive arcade experience (but I gotta admit, it still could be a lot more immersive).

Let's hope this will be a simultaneous release with PC. I'm waiting patiently for more news on this.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I don't think mobile is a good platform for anything other than "match-3" or RTS games. As a retro-gaming fan, I will say the classics do not translate well to mobile systems. Too bad mobile is the wave of the gaming future.

Mobile is fine for music, tv/movies on the go, and, um, well, phone service, but not for gaming IMO.

Choosing the right hardware platform for mobile is the key to enjoying gaming on it.

What makes a gaming platform right for one person will make it wrong for another.

Choice is key. Mobile is prolific.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I use a PS4 controller on the PC for that feel that works fairly well (I'd prefer a proper cabinet if possible, but that's just not financially viable for me at the moment).

Your can do that on android. Even get controllers that hold your mobile for you.

It all comes down to portability vs performance, and genre.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I say use whatever suits you best !!! we are so blessed with the gadgets of today.some of us old boofs can remember when we were kids,all we had was a ball.:cool:

Drathro

Jul 28, 2013
I imagine I'm in the minority but if it's a separate App I probably won't bother, I like all my tables in one place. I uninstalled Zen for that very reason

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I imagine I'm in the minority but if it's a separate App I probably won't bother, I like all my tables in one place. I uninstalled Zen for that very reason

That would eliminate Pro Pinball's Timeshock for me. No chance that is happening any time soon. Best pinball simulation out there right now, there is not even any close competition from ANY company. And, it's only in beta on pc so far.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014

if your on PC go take alook at PinballX

I have all my pinballgames in one place with it.
TPA PBFX2, ProPinball, Visual PinballX and soon to be Zaccuria I hope :)

heberts811

Feb 26, 2012
I just upgraded to Ipad Air2 so now I can look forward to this app and down on people with older devices!!! :)

Gary

PS Just Kidding about the second part!! (In case you missed it)

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Congrats on the new shiny device! When I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an Air 2, a lot of my scores instantly improved, better framrate, clearer/crisper graphics and easier to hold for longer periods of time. I have been eyeing the Pro, but without support for native resolution, I'm afraid it will feel like taking a step back. Aside from the question if the screen is too big to control comfortably (nudging etc.).

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
At least we have a date. That's more than we normally get. The assumption being Stern told Farsight a date and Stern also told Farsight that they could tell us the date.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.