Bug STILL very poor audio quality on the PS4 version after almost 2.5 years

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I do not have PS4 but sorry to hear of all the troubles. Responding because I do have the 360 version and love the audio. I play through an exceptionally calibrated home theater system, and it seems accurate without popping, clicking, or dropouts on the 360. Thanks!

As far as sound accuracy on the 360, you are correct. The sound and music, IMO, just didn't sound as clear as it did when I first got TPA and the 10 available tables after the update. I remember the sounds (and especially the music) sounding so awesome before the update, and I did try them out the night before the update became available. Why FarSight can put suitable sounds into any system except for the current-gen PS4 is beyond me.

Yes, the 360 version is overall solid, but the lack of table support hurts it. It would be nice of FarSight to at least continue bringing out tables for 360 users, especially given that getting tables released on the 360 has been so grueling.

I continue to hope that bugs from the PS4 get ironed out, for the benefit of those who've paid 400 bones to get what they've hoped would be the best version of TPA.

Last edited:

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
As far as sound accuracy on the 360, you are correct. The sound and music, IMO, just didn't sound as clear as it did when I first got TPA and the 10 available tables after the update. I remember the sounds (and especially the music) sounding so awesome before the update, and I did try them out the night before the update became available. Why FarSight can put suitable sounds into any system except for the current-gen PS4 is beyond me.

Yes, the 360 version is overall solid, but the lack of table support hurts it. It would be nice of FarSight to at least continue bringing out tables for 360 users, especially given that getting tables released on the 360 has been so grueling.

I continue to hope that bugs from the PS4 get ironed out, for the benefit of those who've paid 400 bones to get what they've hoped would be the best version of TPA.

Yeah rehtroboi40, I think all of us fans have more than one gripe that is very legitimate. I have two...the lack of tables on 360, but more than that I am so, sooooo tired of the inability to release on Wii U, even after many promises to do so. I am not gonna build a library any more on Steam, despite it seeming to be their only successful non mobille platform. And, after going out trying to campaign in the world of Nintendo pinball players about its pending release, but still not yet realized release there, well, I am about to give up on TPA.

It's impossible for me to grasp why they have troubles on all the consoles when I think so many players want to play this game on their consoles. The way Farsight does business is starting to remind me of Pinky's Arcade. The hole in the wall, shady business where I played alot of Gorgar in middle school LOL.

Here's to them fixing the audio bugs for the PS4 players! Console players deserve a bug free, playable TPA.

Last edited:

thefly0810

Feb 13, 2014

Pinball Arcade wasn't the main reason I bought a PS4 at launch but it was one my most anticipated games when I first got the system. And I didn't mind repurchasing the tables because Farsight had told us that the game game had been rebuilt from the ground up and was supposed to be the superior version. Other than a fresh coat of paint and lighting, in a lot of ways, it has been a step back due to the lack of support and updates almost 2.5 years after its release date. In hindsight, I don't think I would be as critical had they offered cross buy like Zen Pinball 2. I would have chalked it up to " well, at least I'm getting 3 versions for 1 price." Then I could believe that Farsight had an ounce of any sort of appreciation or support for their paying customers.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Apparently they can help if you send an email to their tech support. Maybe we should be doing that instead of posting here?

From Facebook today:
Matt Henzel
When will the scratchy and popping sound get fixed on the PS4?
Also there is a new bug on most of the tables introduced with version 1.12 on the PS4 where translucent white pinball are showing up in the plunger lane and sometimes under the flippers as well.
The Pinball Arcade
We can help you out, just send a message to support@farsightstudios.com

Matt Henzel
We've all done that over the last couple of years. Along with video proof, but I either think they can't fix it or don't think it's severe enough of a problem which is unfortunate.
There are pages and pages of discussions regarding the poor sound quality on digitalpinballfans.com forums, but they go ignored by Farsight support. It's very discouraging that the PS3 and Xbox versions sound perfect, but the PS4 is plagued with these audio issues which are now going on over 2 years.
Matt Henzel
I know Farsight employees frequent the page and often welcome hearing about bugs and other suggested improvements (which is awesome), but they always steer clear of the audio bug discussions.
Here is one such thread, with audio examples and details about how it sounds.
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...on-after-almost-2-5-years?p=237164#post237164

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Yeah rehtroboi40, I think all of us fans have more than one gripe that is very legitimate. I have two...the lack of tables on 360, but more than that I am so, sooooo tired of the inability to release on Wii U, even after many promises to do so. I am not gonna build a library any more on Steam, despite it seeming to be their only successful non mobille platform. And, after going out trying to campaign in the world of Nintendo pinball players about its pending release, but still not yet realized release there, well, I am about to give up on TPA.

It's impossible for me to grasp why they have troubles on all the consoles when I think so many players want to play this game on their consoles. The way Farsight does business is starting to remind me of Pinky's Arcade. The hole in the wall, shady business where I played alot of Gorgar in middle school LOL.

Here's to them fixing the audio bugs for the PS4 players! Console players deserve a bug free, playable TPA.

The WiiU logo has appeared on TPA website and FB graphics since, at least, 2012. Frustrating for anyone who has been wanting it for the WiiU.
Maybe FarSight is running things more like "Blip's Arkaid". I'm sure there are folks here old enough to remember that show.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
That's weird. Do you have the launch model PS4 or the revision with better cooling and physical eject button?

I'm using the latter and have not had any audio problems with any other title. I use Netflix and YouTube daily and I've not even rebooted the PS4 since the last FW update over a month ago.

I also use a good pair of Sony MDR headphones connected directly to the Dual Shock 4 controller.

I made a video of the 1.12 update last night and the audio glitches are as bad as ever. They are very easy to hear on Gorgar because the lack of music doesn't cover them up like on some other tables.

http://youtu.be/zFfCxtkFjS4 To hear some of the bad audio go to 7:21 to hear the most obvious bits during Gorgar.

We have the release PS4. Guess maybe thats the difference.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
When many tables are counting up the bonus, the sound clips all over itself so bad that you basically only hear bits of the audio. It's practically clipping itself out of existence. Many tables have this issue with repeating sounds (bonus count/spinners) clipping over themselves instead of just playing the same sound over itself like it should. Say the sound in question is ZING on a spinner, instead of smoothly going ZIZIZIZING, it choppily goes Z...Z...Z...ZING.
I probably explained that poorly, but I hope you get my meaning. Certainly most of the people in this thread knows what I mean.

It's almost like some sound property is set wrong......I rem an old PC that I had this sort of issue with sound.....I forget the specifics, but I changed a setting in the sound properties and the problem went away globally. Maybe TPS has a similar problem.....some essential sound setting is flipped the wrong way.

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
Has anyone from Farsight commented on the audio bug as of yet?

To be fair, since my (re)raising the issue of the audio debacle this month, as well as a few other long-term PS4 related problems brought up by players, Farsight was kind enough to not just merely respond to one of these issues, but made sure to quickly resolve it as well. It really shows that they actually do care. Care about what, you might ask?

A forum member reports:
Downloading new tables issue. Not able to purchase in game.

Oh no, revenues might be lost?!:eek:

Four friggin' minutes later, Farsight staff responds that they are on the job. No less that two employees keep the masses calm for the next few days with constant updates and a compassionate interest in fixing the problem, no excuses:

What's up everyone! Just wanted to come give you an update regarding the Season Five issue on PS4(U.S.). We just spoke to our account rep and they are working to fix the problem with the store rules ASAP. In defense of QA, this is not something they can test as it is set up only on the live store and is not visible until release. From the sound of things, it seems this should be fixed today or tomorrow.

You may be happy to hear that in two days, the crisis was averted as the disabled money flow was turned back on. Yeah, we know what they actually care about.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
To be fair, since my (re)raising the issue of the audio debacle this month, as well as a few other long-term PS4 related problems brought up by players, Farsight was kind enough to not just merely respond to one of these issues, but made sure to quickly resolve it as well. It really shows that they actually do care. Care about what, you might ask?

A forum member reports:

Oh no, revenues might be lost?!:eek:

Four friggin' minutes later, Farsight staff responds that they are on the job. No less that two employees keep the masses calm for the next few days with constant updates and a compassionate interest in fixing the problem, no excuses:

You may be happy to hear that in two days, the crisis was averted as the disabled money flow was turned back on. Yeah, we know what they actually care about.

They should realize that this sound problem is also costing them as well. Many people haven't purchased additional table's after being disappointed with how their current table's are sounding.

I'd be happy if they just responded with a confirmation that someone at Farsight is actually working on this bug.

To be fair, I brought up the issue with the large Pinball Arcade logo covering the DMD with shared PS4 Videos and they replied saying they were working on it and with this last patch it was removed.

I think they are truly stumped with this widespread audio bug and that's what scares me.
They can't merely sweep it under the rug and act like it doesn't exist.

PeacemakerPIN

Nov 19, 2015
They should realize that this sound problem is also costing them as well. Many people haven't purchased additional table's after being disappointed with how their current table's are sounding.

I'd be happy if they just responded with a confirmation that someone at Farsight is actually working on this bug.

To be fair, I brought up the issue with the large Pinball Arcade logo covering the DMD with shared PS4 Videos and they replied saying they were working on it and with this last patch it was removed.

I think they are truly stumped with this widespread audio bug and that's what scares me.

If they can't fix it, at least give us back the option of launch quality audio. Anything is better than what we currently have to endure.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013

Were going to address the Sound issue in the next update.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
+1. They did say that they would add emulation to fix Black Knight 2 or 3 years ago. I still have faith that it is coming, but I am starting to feel like an idiot from waiting so long.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
+1. They did say that they would add emulation to fix Black Knight 2 or 3 years ago. I still have faith that it is coming, but I am starting to feel like an idiot from waiting so long.

Black Knight has needed that and a massive graphics overhaul from day one. In the last newsletter three weeks ago, they also said that the new UI would be available "next week", and it's still nowhere in sight save for beta (not that I'm rushing that monstrosity). There are so many other examples of things FarSight has said they were doing, but have not followed through on. How are you doing on "Orbals", by the way? :p

FarSight seems to have, unfortunately, boxed itself in. All of these extra items and bug-fixes won't make them money and require personnel to work on. The only thing they can seem to do is keep putting out tables in the hopes of selling. Frankly, I'm not sure FarSight has the manpower to polish up their product. Their income is also affected by inability to put out titles in a timely manner on Sony/MS consoles due to their restrictive polices and high costs.

PeacemakerPIN

Nov 19, 2015
Black Knight has needed that and a massive graphics overhaul from day one. In the last newsletter three weeks ago, they also said that the new UI would be available "next week", and it's still nowhere in sight save for beta (not that I'm rushing that monstrosity). There are so many other examples of things FarSight has said they were doing, but have not followed through on. How are you doing on "Orbals", by the way? :p

FarSight seems to have, unfortunately, boxed itself in. All of these extra items and bug-fixes won't make them money and require personnel to work on. The only thing they can seem to do is keep putting out tables in the hopes of selling. Frankly, I'm not sure FarSight has the manpower to polish up their product. Their income is also affected by inability to put out titles in a timely manner on Sony/MS consoles due to their restrictive polices and high costs.

Incoming ÜberPatch Kickstarter?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.