TPA - Android vs iOS

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I'm fortunate enough to have both an Android tablet and iPad2 in my household so I can directly compare the two.

The iOS version makes me want to sell my Android tablet and get an iPad, the difference is night and day, the iPad version is much sharper, there's anti aliasing, ball reflections and its a silky smooth 60fps. Is Android ever going to manage this? Makes me feel like I'm using a beta OS in comparison to Apple's offering!

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I'm fortunate enough to have both an Android tablet and iPad2 in my household so I can directly compare the two.

The iOS version makes me want to sell my Android tablet and get an iPad, the difference is night and day, the iPad version is much sharper, there's anti aliasing, ball reflections and its a silky smooth 60fps. Is Android ever going to manage this? Makes me feel like I'm using a beta OS in comparison to Apple's offering!

Well remeber apple is a closed and very refined hardware and software platofrom(in theory) and andorid supports low to high rangeyou need to go for the lowest common dominator ..id say within a year even base android handsets will have morenthan enough power for tpa mobile almost console like i hope

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, it's a shame... I know the Tegra 3 in my tablet can do much better than this, but it's like Heretic says. Develop for iOS and you only have to worry about a handful of different hardware configurations, so it's easier to optimize... with Android, there are countless.

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012

The iOS version makes me want to sell my Android tablet and get an iPad...

I haven't got one yet, (i.e. an iPad3, I will wait for iPad4 and new A6x chip goodness before upgrading from my 2), but everyone who has seen/played TPA running on an iPad3, says it is everything you noticed + even more beautiful than iPad2 lovelies.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I haven't got one yet, (i.e. an iPad3, I will wait for iPad4 and new A6x chip goodness before upgrading from my 2), but everyone who has seen/played TPA running on an iPad3, says it is everything you noticed + even more beautiful than iPad2 lovelies.

I'm on an iPad 1 and am also waiting for the iPad 4 to upgrade. TPA is going to look great on that. Too bad we have to wait until spring for it to come out.

Bride of Trolls

Jul 29, 2012
I'm on an iPad 1 and am also waiting for the iPad 4 to upgrade.
Same here.

For me the TPA looks very good, even if you only have an iPad1

But of course i will be glad if iPad4 arrives and i think i will buy it.
I will buy a new iPad only because of the TPA, because for TPA the
CPU power an RAM of an iPad1 is sometimes not enough, RBIOT
is unplayable on iPad1 for me, it its so fast that i sometimes did
not see the ball befor he drains, i tried it on an iPad3, wonderfull!

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
This was a video I did to compare but in the end it didn't come out very well as youtube is limited to 30fps, can still kinda see that the iPad is way smoother.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Well remeber apple is a closed and very refined hardware and software platofrom(in theory) and andorid supports low to high rangeyou need to go for the lowest common dominator ..id say within a year even base android handsets will have morenthan enough power for tpa mobile almost console like i hope

Android has way more than enough power now. Even the Nexus 7 is has more CPU power than the iPad 3. And some handsets have quad-core CPUs (iPhone 5 is still believed to be dual-core). Android hardware has always outclassed Apple's hardware since the beginning.

Heck, PinMAME was emulating ROMs and the Sound ROM (which TPA doesn't do) on machines with far less power than what's available today.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Android has way more than enough power now. Even the Nexus 7 is has more CPU power than the iPad 3. And some handsets have quad-core CPUs (iPhone 5 is still believed to be dual-core). Android hardware has always outclassed Apple's hardware since the beginning.

Heck, PinMAME was emulating ROMs and the Sound ROM (which TPA doesn't do) on machines with far less power than what's available today.

Nexus isnt eaxctly low end dude heh even to your perfectly right cpu wise its much more powerful than thec a5 infact im gonna be purchasing one once funds allow:p

As for pimame emulating on much slower, you have to to understand power wise mobile couscarent measured in ghz...a 2002 era p4 with decent graphics would more than likely wipeout all tablets, but that is changing fir the better..,,i wasnt insulting andriod so untwist yer knickers man

Considering pinmames author is the guy behind farsights emulations tech ( as far as i kniw) were bith guessing

Yus its not even ten am n i be drunk but tbf been up since two

Go new fringe!

Walters my god

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

According to information in the Android threads, there are High-detail models planned for an upcoming release (when has not yet been specified).

The android devs confirmed these were in the works, and have been updating the table models with each update behind the scenes. When Farsight gives the nod to enable these hi-detail models, the table files will not need to be downloaded again apparently. The option in the game menu will switch the graphics assets on.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...rsion-1-4-2-Bugs?p=23544&viewfull=1#post23544

I've asked a pointed question about this today in the Android forum http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...tail-table-models-available?p=32960#post32960

Thanks for reminding me about this Carl. :D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.