Round 4: Q&A With Bobby King: Answers

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
1.) We asked you in the past if Farsight would ever consider allowing the fans to vote on table releases, and, since you said it was in the plans, let's take it one step further: would it be possible to have a poll on the TPA Fans Forum for voting on unlicensed tables for future release? It seems like it would be a great way to involve and expand the community.

Bobby: "We love this idea! You guys can expect digitalpinballfans.com to host the first fan poll for a table this December. What do you guys think would be a better poll – a Stern or Gottlieb EM to add to the schedule or a selection from a list of more modern unlicensed tables that we already know that we’re doing in 2013/2014 and select which one we release first? The first option could include a round of nominations."

2.) Will you be changing the menu layout soon? If so, how?

Bobby: "Yes, this should be in for the November update. There will be a main menu that will lead to table select screens based on the mode chosen. We're still planning to support horizontal and vertical menus throughout the entire menu system. Currently, there are 8 table icons viewable in portrait (there might be room for 10 though) and 9 tables icons viewable in landscape."

3.) Why have we not seen any in-progress videos or demos of The Twilight Zone - and when will we?

Bobby: "We’re working on editing a Twilight Zone Making Of video this week, but it takes time. We're a relatively small team. The emulation/engineering work as well as the artwork is underway. We'll post the making of video, screenshots and a demo video once we get further along. My best guess would be the end of October through early November to be the right time to roll out this development progress content."

4.) Do you have plans for adding a single-player tournament mode (PAPA rules, no extra balls, separate leaderboard, etc.)?

Bobby: "Yes, the first tournament rules we implement will be a bit of a hybrid - but we are planning to support many optional tournament formats including PAPA.'

5.) Would you ever alter a table's backglass if that were the only licensing impossibility?

Bobby: "If this was our only option to include a table that would otherwise never happen and the modification was minor, we would be in favor of it. However, we would still need permission from the table manufacturer to make a change even if it was minor."

karl

May 10, 2012
Good, interesting and promising answers from Bobby King. Thanks for setting it up Jeff! I would go for the option to vote on popular already decided tables for 2013. Can't wait to hear what they have in mind. Let's hope that Whitewater, High speed, Cactus Canyon, fish tales and Roadshow is among them :p

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
Thanks for setting this up Bobby and Jeff! I would love to vite on more modern unlicensed tables from a list of 2013/14 tables. I do hope FarSight acquires tables from the eighties like Embryon, Fathom, Grand Lizard, Scorpion, Meteor.....oh I can go on and on!

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I like it actually. We get to be teased about future releases without spoiling too much.

Chances are they'll only 'announce' four to six tables per poll which prevents them from giving the entire years game away.

Unless we will only be voting for unlicensed tables with Farsight keeping the other tables all hush hush until something crops up.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
1.) We asked you in the past if Farsight would ever consider allowing the fans to vote on table releases, and, since you said it was in the plans, let's take it one step further: would it be possible to have a poll on the TPA Fans Forum for voting on unlicensed tables for future release? It seems like it would be a great way to involve and expand the community.

Bobby: "We love this idea! You guys can expect digitalpinballfans.com to host the first fan poll for a table this December. What do you guys think would be a better poll – a Stern or Gottlieb EM to add to the schedule or a selection from a list of more modern unlicensed tables that we already know that we’re doing in 2013/2014 and select which one we release first? The first option could include a round of nominations."

Great news, though it's a bit disappointing to hear Stern games referred to as EM, since most of the early Sterns are SS machines with ROMs (I hope this confusion isn't part of the reason why the early SS games aren't emulated). I would like to see both polls myself.

Apr 8, 2012
I would rather vote on EM or early SS tables to recreate instead of tables that they already have in the pipeline. If they already have definite plans to do a machine then that is good enough for me. I don't care if it comes 1 month from now or a year from now as long as it's coming. I feel that voting on tables that are not pre-decided would have more of an impact. Or am I misunderstanding the offer?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I agree with crazy above, voting on which tables to acquire and start converting is far more attractive than voting on what order the tables FS have half converted already come out.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Great news, though it's a bit disappointing to hear Stern games referred to as EM, since most of the early Sterns are SS machines with ROMs (I hope this confusion isn't part of the reason why the early SS games aren't emulated). I would like to see both polls myself.

Didn't Stern make a handful of EM tables in the early years? He didn't say Stern EM or Gottlieb EM tables though so maybe he just meant early Stern EM or SS OR Gottlieb EM tables?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
4.) Do you have plans for adding a single-player tournament mode (PAPA rules, no extra balls, separate leaderboard, etc.)?

Bobby: "Yes, the first tournament rules we implement will be a bit of a hybrid - but we are planning to support many optional tournament formats including PAPA.'

Oh if only there was a follow up to this asking WHEN?

At least we know the 'when' of menu and TZ video.

I'm torn as to what poll I'd want. Not being a fan of old Stern and Gottleib, I don't really care what comes out. Then again, if I was given a choice I'd actually do some research and see whats the what. But then I really wanna know about the more modern tables and make requests. Ah, the agony!

bossyman15

Feb 28, 2012
Last edited:

esp2000

Jun 4, 2012
This is great news seeing everything that is coming. Can't wait to see the Twiglight Zone preview videos to see how it is coming along.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Didn't Stern make a handful of EM tables in the early years? He didn't say Stern EM or Gottlieb EM tables though so maybe he just meant early Stern EM or SS OR Gottlieb EM tables?

Other posts suggested confusion over EMs (EM tables were mentioned one time after a question about Black Hole and Gorgar in regards to emulation, despite neither being EMs). I feel preventing confusion over EMs will get us full emulation of older tables faster. According to ipdb, Stern was mostly SS, with only 4 EMs (3 if you count that 2 of the tables are variations of the same table). "Stern EM or Gottlieb EM" is awkward wording. He said "stern or gottelib EMs", with no mention of SS.

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I wonder what this means for the early SS bally's tables. That was supposed to be the first vote.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I would love to see a sneak peek of the upcoming 2013/2014 schedule, and get to vote on some upcoming tables (I would be particularly ecstatic if Safe Cracker was on that list, but that is purely from a self-serving perspective).

Consider this: if the development schedule runs into 2014, we can look forward to at least another 24 tables during 2013! That in itself is terribly exciting news!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.