Android - Bug Observed Bugs in Twilight Zone (v1.7.0 BETA)

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
just to reiterate. I just definitely got the yellow skill shot, yet the standard goal did not register. This is on beta 02

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I took a closer look as to how the TPA Gumball Wireform Habitrail looks, and I think there may be a problem with how the wireform has been rendered where it goes from the half loop to the sharp right angle.

The real table:

Gumball_IRL.jpg

As you can see, the rail goes into a sharp right angle to put the ball into the gumball. At the exit of the habitrail, there is a metal box where the opto sits which is where the ball hits against.

Compare that to how the TPA version is rendered:

Gumball_TPA.png

You'll notice that on closer inspection, the front right rail looks like it is bent in a bit. I'm not sure whether this is just an anomaly of the view in TPA, but the rail looks really mangled at the exit. In fact, the gap in the rail at the front is way bigger than the IRL version. Perhaps this is why balls are getting caught on some devices?

Unless the rail is just for "visual look" and when coded the ball actually follows a ball path coded into the game (I think vPinMAME tables had this feature for getting balls to travel on ramps and things).

Could be a lod thing, I might post this in the art area

N

Nik Barbour

Can you guys try beta 2 non-emulated tables and see if you still see the slow down (black hole, black knight, big shot) ? Make sure the ghost bug is not in effect.

Beta ver02 installed -

Test played in reverse release order.
Big Shot
Black Knight
Gorgar
Black Hole

Had a tiny bit of lag when first started Big Shot, but only lasted a couple of seconds, then device settled and no lag or framerate drop in any of the listed tables.

Not even BK during multiball or a faster table like Gorgar. I really rattled the ball around as quick and fast as I could too (this being because fast ball speed really induced lag in TZ ver02 on my device - ie ball coming off a pop bumper).

N

netizen

Can you guys try beta 2 non-emulated tables and see if you still see the slow down (black hole, black knight, big shot) ? Make sure the ghost bug is not in effect.

Going to get you guys a new build to mess around with tonight (meant it for lastnight but had to run down the mountain to grab a check).

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7"
CPU: TI OMAP 4430 [ARM] 2 x 1.2 Ghz
O/S: ICS 4.0.4
hardware acceleration enabled, auto sync disabled, a hard limit for background processes set to 2.

Gorgar plays equally as well with either a skinned or default ball.
Big Shot seems to play equally well with a skinned ball as with the default one.
Black Hole is noticeably faster with a default ball than with a skinned one.
Black Knight is a little more difficult to describe. If anything i'd have to say that the default ball acts as if it has more "mass" if that makes any sense. It appears to accelerate faster going down ramps, and follow the ramp exit paths more accurately. Whereas the skinned balls exit off the ramps a bit more randomly. Not totally sure how or why, but my observations for what they are.

N

Nik Barbour

ah yes I forgot Gorgar is non-emu too. Ok... well they are looking into it, but I want to run one more test. Here is a link to a beta 2 build but with the ball code and art assets reverted to before.

http://androidfiles.pinballarcade.com/beta/AndroidPinballActivityTemp.apk

Ignore the totan logo in the custom ball screen, that area is hacked out.

TZ beta ver03:-

TZ plays perfectly with no lag.
Dark ball colour is back - obviously no different colour for power ball.
Camera angles are same as ver02.

Activated multiball twice without any lag. Also hit a lot of shots into bumpers to accelerate ball speed, again without incident.

Summary :- ver03 plays without lag or framerate drop on my device.

Plays very similar to ver01, but with ver02 camera angle mods.

You even managed to fix the Big Shot portrait / landscape HUD scaling! :)

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
also SS should end properly. Can you test the hof button on your side Nik? Seems to be working on my end.

Ok, so that means something with the custom ball tech was messing with it =\ now to figure out what the hell that might be...

Also that camera 4 in TZ should be fixed

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
ah yes I forgot Gorgar is non-emu too. Ok... well they are looking into it, but I want to run one more test. Here is a link to a beta 2 build but with the ball code and art assets reverted to before.

http://androidfiles.pinballarcade.com/beta/AndroidPinballActivityTemp.apk

Ignore the totan logo in the custom ball screen, that area is hacked out.

Quick Test on Twilight Zone

Multiball, and random framerate drop is eliminated in this release.

Also, I think the door panel lights have been sharpened or something. I can tell if they are lit or not much better in Beta v1.7.3

Was also able to earn the yellow door panel off the first plunge. This was really hard to do on v1.7.2

K

Korven

Sv: Observed Bugs in Twilight Zone (v1.7.0 BETA)

HoF-button still closes the app for me on Nexus 7.

N

Nik Barbour

also SS should end properly. Can you test the hof button on your side Nik? Seems to be working on my end.

Ok, so that means something with the custom ball tech was messing with it =\ now to figure out what the hell that might be...

Also that camera 4 in TZ should be fixed

TZ beta ver03 :-

HOF - pressed at end of game, causes app to freeze with screen exactly at state when button pressed. Only escape is pressing back to close app.

Landscape camera angle 4 confirmed fixed.
4u9u3uqy.jpg

Is it my imagination - or does x scaling look a tiny bit too pinched?

Landscape plunge camera 2 confirmed fixed (as it was in ver02)
be9are6e.jpg

Thanks Ryan!

N

netizen

HOF still crashes
BS HUD is fixed
TZ now has no Powerball!! Or the issue with the service dot and switch 26/trough recognition are somehow also affected by the ball skin/alpha layers as I had the service dot that we have determined signifies switch 26 and I put 4 balls in the Gumball machine but no Powerball came out, or at least no visibly recognizable one, nor one that was identified by the table/game.
ESS now goes through an end of game sequence.
ESS Family mode settings are still mixed up in Pro Mode which makes them inaudible. Set to "Off" by default, which is not true, and changing to "On" doesn't enable them. :-/

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
what tables were you running when you tested the hof button? I can't for the life of me get it to crash or hang

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah that is due to the ball skin back i put in, its temporary, i was just using it to try to diagnose the problem. It will be back ;)

HOF still crashes
BS HUD is fixed
TZ now has no Powerball!! Or the issue with the service dot and switch 26/trough recognition are somehow also affected by the ball skin/alpha layers as I had the service dot that we have determined signifies switch 26 and I put 4 balls in the Gumball machine but no Powerball came out, or at least no visibly recognizable one, nor one that was identified by the table/game.
ESS now goes through an end of game sequence.
ESS Family mode settings are still mixed up in Pro Mode which makes them inaudible. Set to "Off" by default, which is not true, and changing to "On" doesn't enable them. :-/

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Ryan, is there any chance that you can add a selectable silverball skin that rotates like the other ball skins? I'm sure those of us with more powerful devices would like to have this option as the rotating ball skins work great on my Galaxy S III.

N

netizen

I tried hof on TZ and BS all i did was plunge the ball and let it sink, repeat till I got the hof/continue screen to test.
At the hof/continue I press hof and the button lights up and the application will either hang then close, or need to be closed through the task man.

There is a lengthy report on the ESS family mode in the general forum. It broke between builds is why I tested and mentioned it.

What is the realtion between the settings in Pro mode and the performance of the table in regular play mode. Will there be any change in the way one table is set up and the performance in the other tables behaviour? I ask because some of the table "defaults" in Pro mode are not the same as the eay that the table behaves in regular mode. for example the extra ball buy in on TZ. Will there be more fine tuning of the table state memory done so that things like in the zone champion totals can be tracked, even locally, and the powerball position isn't reset every time you exit the table etc.

Oh and you deserve so many thanks for your work and listening to our speculations Ryan.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I actually plan to do environmental maping (real reflections) in the ball when they give me time

Ryan, is there any chance that you can add a selectable silverball skin that rotates like the other ball skins? I'm sure those of us with more powerful devices would like to have this option as the rotating ball skins work great on my Galaxy S III.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I tried hof on TZ and BS all i did was plunge the ball and let it sink, repeat till I got the hof/continue screen to test.
At the hof/continue I press hof and the button lights up and the application will either hang then close, or need to be closed through the task man.

There is a lengthy report on the ESS family mode in the general forum. It broke between builds is why I tested and mentioned it.

What is the realtion between the settings in Pro mode and the performance of the table in regular play mode. Will there be any change in the way one table is set up and the performance in the other tables behaviour? I ask because some of the table "defaults" in Pro mode are not the same as the eay that the table behaves in regular mode. for example the extra ball buy in on TZ. Will there be more fine tuning of the table state memory done so that things like in the zone champion totals can be tracked, even locally, and the powerball position isn't reset every time you exit the table etc.

Oh and you deserve so many thanks for your work and listening to our speculations Ryan.

How bizarre...ok ill have to test this on a nexus 7.

Ah ok, unfortunately dont have much time to check the general forums =) ill point Mike in that direction, he would be the man to ask for sure about the pro mode stuff.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
How bizarre...ok ill have to test this on a nexus 7.

Ah ok, unfortunately dont have much time to check the general forums =) ill point Mike in that direction, he would be the man to ask for sure about the pro mode stuff.

Family Mode "off" in the SS Pro Menu still works on the Galaxy S III. Also, great to hear about the ball reflections...can't wait.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts