GOLDENEYE is mine!!! (It's all your fault SKILL_SHOT)

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I figured I'd take Skill_Shots advice and start a new thread for this (it's kind of anticlimactic in Apollo 13). And I also should give some credit to his thread for this (as well as Farsight). I was incredibly intimidated about ownership (mostly due to maintenance), and reading through his thread made it seem much less scary :)

So onto the point of this thread: I BOUGHT A SEGA 1996 GOLDENEYE TODAY!!!! Its in basically mint condition, GI and playfield lights (proper name?) about half fitted with LED's , no playfield wear (other than a tiny bit under and between the flippers where the magna save is). There are a couple of Mylar squares in the inlanes where the ball drops from the ramps, but no wear underneath, the machine was fully shopped last year and still feels like it! The owner is delivering it (into my house) free of charge (it's about an hour long drive), and the grand total is $2400!!

Thats about $1000 more than I set out to spend but when I saw what was available in my original price range I realized I wouldn't be satisfied with "having a table for having it's sake" and decided to take the hit (I SO can't afford this, but what the hell, we only have 8 days to live). I wanted a DMD table, with multiball, and missions, and a wizard mode. I never thought I'd actually find one this good at that price so YAY! He also had a Frankenstein, T2, and a Judge Dredd. He will be selling two of them in the spring, so who knows, maybe I'll pick another one up then.

God I have a problem. Seriously. Help me.

I've been playing the VP FS version since I got home and I absolutely LOVE the table. It has some of the best music I've heard in any machine. Period.

It may not seem like it but its been a LONG process. I've been checking Kiiji nearly 5 times an hour for the past 2 weeks, and hourly for a month before that. There were countless unreturned emails, and phone calls. I missed out on a couple great ones by minutes before and was determined not to have it happen again! So I've sunk probably a full work weeks worth of hours into this over the past month or so and I'm SO glad its all over.

If anyone has played this and care to share stories I'd love to hear them :)

Thanks for reading and Cheers!

Ps. I seriously CANNOT wait for it to get here (should be within a few days)

Last edited:

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Well done smooverr, I'm excited for you. I've never seen this table and so look forward to a few photo's/vids.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Thanks Kev :) I took a bunch but they came out kind of blurry(except for shots of the boards). As soon as its here ill go bat$hit with pictures ;)

I'd never seen it either, which doesn't surprise me since the run was only 2200! But I fell in love with it as soon as I saw the launch animation on the DMD. So full of awesome. It has 5 modes, 4 mini modes, 3 multiballs including a 5 baller, a wizard mode and some amazing toys and features. The theme integration is perfect. I'm going to watch the movie right now! Haven't seen it since it came out.

N

Nik Barbour

Happy Christmas Smooverr! - Nice Present you've got there.
Never played or seen one but - looking forward to seeing your pics and posts on this.

Played a similar period 'Batman Forever' table by Sega a few times, and the quality felt really nice, good crisp flipper action too - a little bit like the current Stern tables in feel.

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
Congratulations! I hope you will enjoy maintaining and modding your table as much as playing it.

karl

May 10, 2012
Congrats on your first Pinball machine. I am sure it will bring you countless hours of fun. I am starting to wonder how many on this forum have bought their first machine in 2012? Must be at least 5 of us by now. The only problem I have is that I all ready want another one :)

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Thanks All!!! I have a question to pose. Do any of you know whether or not the backboard can be detached? If not it might not fit up the stairs to my bedroom? I'm looking in the manual online and cant find a mention of it. I have 27-28" of space which is fine for the cab. And the dimensions dont make sense the way they picture them so I can't tell if folding it down and turning it on its side will help.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Congratulations! I hope you will enjoy maintaining and modding your table as much as playing it.

I haven't seen any mods other than an Aston Martin. Other than that I'm just going to LED the begeezus out of it :)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
The headboard is wider than the table and when folded against the table its almost as wide, but mine has a funky headboard. It can be detached with some work. After looking at some pictures it has a hinge that looks like it can be unbolted either from the table or the headboard, regardless there should be bolts inside the bottom of the headboard or maybe a lock on the back or both but yours is being shipped so it will probably be down so you'll have to disconnect plugs from headboard to the table once the wires are separate then undo the hinge. It might be easier to get to the plugs with the table raised.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Actually the seller is driving here and setting it up for me. I'm trying to figure out the dimensions when it's folded down to see if flipping it sideways will work. Otherwise I have to leave it on the main floor which will make it an eyesore :(

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
It might be thinner than the headboard is wide but moving it with a hand truck might be difficult from the side I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe the guy will help you take off the headboard, it should be easy for him.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
He measured it. No matter which way you turn it it won't get up the stairs. I had to completely revamp my living room.

Bah. Was my only option if I still wanted the machine.

Either way it'll be here tomorrow by noon!!

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Remove the headboard! it will only take a few minutes and will reduce the weight for doing a flight of stairs it sounds like you'd have to go up also remove the DOOR!:D Use a strap around the table and hand truck especially if you keep the headboard on and remove balls,glass and cover it with a padded blanket or a sheet so it wont scratch. I'm hoping to possibly get a PIN*BOT tomorrow myself!:p The SILVER BALL PANDEMIC has BEGUN!

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I asked him if he could remove it. Said it doesn't come off and even if it did he wouldn't do it. I have no clue how to do that yet. It would involve disconnecting things. I asked a guy I know who fixes them and he said if it does it isn't easy. You know how?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
It should be easy enough if you take your time, just remove the backglass, label up and unplug any connectors, undo and remove the bolts holding the head to the metal hinges and lift it off. Sounds easy put like that but if you take your time and label everything with stickers it shouldn't be too bad. You may even have a few large connectors in the wiring looms so all you have to do then is unplug them instead of disconnecting from the boards in the backbox. Take a few photo's at ever stage too for reference if it will help you. It definitely will come off though, and if you want it upstairs you may as well spend the time doing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.