Enhanced version of the Star Trek: The Next Generation table on PS4 to be shown at E3

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I wonder if (and hope that) there will be a Vita 2.0 version, that can be crossbuy with the PS4 version. The Vita can be so, so, so, so, so, so, so much better.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I suppose I both understand their decision, and am a little disappointed by it. I really think the "upgrade fee" path would have been a nice compromise, but... Anyway, they won't be getting any money from me until either (approx) Sept. when the Note III comes out and I finally get a smartphone, or "Holiday" when the PS4 comes out, as I am interested in much more than just TPA of what they have coming. ...well... I might buy the core pack on Wii U if it comes out sometime this summer just to see how the DMD on the Gamepad screen works, and to throw a little support to Nintendo and FS.

I hope they at least have the full Season 1 pack available at PS4 launch, at it's current price points on other platforms, so that those of us who have waited forever for one reason or another can at least save a few bucks over buying all the packs individually. Season 2 would be nice as well.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Practically all of E3 is unfinished product. Some of it vaporware.

Fungi is 100% correct. I've been a video game news watcher since I was in grade school. In fact, I've always been interested more in video game news than actually playing video games. In my youth Electronic Gaming Monthly was my bible to the news world. E3 and just about any trade show displays games that are, typically, not anywhere near finished. The fact that FarSight brought ST:TNG in an unfinished state is no surprise considering that they have, probably, another four to five months of development time until release. This is assuming that they release at launch. And yes, many games that have appeared at E3 over the years have been vaporware. Just be glad that The Pinball Arcade is not.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
But the PS4 isn't a PS3 like Android isn't an Xbox 360. It's a new platform that happens to come from the same company (Sony).

At the same time I can understand your frustration to have to buy again.

Yes, but the PS4 and PS3 share PSN AND PS Plus, not to mention all of our trophy information, friend list, among other stuff will be shared between the two platforms so it's not really like Android vs. Xbox.

I want to go on record saying I think this is a mistake for Farsight not to let us carry our tables to the PS3.
I am almost positive Zen Studios is going to have some type of importing when Zen Pinball 3 is released on the PS4. If and when this happens, people are going to complain even more than we currently see.

This, compounded with tables that remain unfixed or brought up to spec on the PS3, while PS4 versions or our purchased tables are bug fixed will surely anger people.

So as long as they can improve some of the tables on the ps3 that have major issues (Black Knight for instance) maybe it won't look so bad to barge again on the PS4. We'll see...

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Yes, but the PS4 and PS3 share PSN AND PS Plus, not to mention all of our trophy information, friend list, among other stuff will be shared between the two platforms so it's not really like Android vs. Xbox.

I want to go on record saying I think this is a mistake for Farsight not to let us carry our tables to the PS3.
I am almost positive Zen Studios is going to have some type of importing when Zen Pinball 3 is released on the PS4. If and when this happens, people are going to complain even more than we currently see.

This, compounded with tables that remain unfixed or brought up to spec on the PS3, while PS4 versions or our purchased tables are bug fixed will surely anger people.

So as long as they can improve some of the tables on the ps3 that have major issues (Black Knight for instance) maybe it won't look so bad to barge again on the PS4. We'll see...

So if PS+ is supported by the PS5 that comes out in 7 years from now should be get a free upgrade for tables, and the PS6 in 14 years time?

We have a niche hobby and the fanbase is not large enough to support the model proposed. If Farsight do this, then they won't long and it's goodbye PA. Do people realise how much software development costs?

The points about unfixed issues I agree are not acceptable and Farsight have to convince Sony to relax their rules for patching.

Last edited:

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
Can we please reserve this thread for PlayStation 4 talk and move the PC port to another thread?

Anyway, Sony should fire the PlayStation rep at the PS4 E3 booth who has been telling everyone that TPA for the PS4 will be free for owners of the PS3/Vita versions.

I've seen this new reposted and spread like crazy. It should also be removed from that website ASAP.

I actually preordered the PS4 when hearing this, but have since canceled the preorder. $80+ worth of pinball DLC with my PS4 was a hell of an incentive for me to move to the new platform. Oh well.

All I can hope now is that Farsight doesn't give up on fixing the PS3 version of TPA.

Only owning a Vita and having pre-ordered the PS4, the only thing that stopped me buying all the DLC for the Vita was the lack of season passes so far in the EU TPA.

Where did you hear about there being no cross-buy for Vita/PS4, and is this definate?

I'm not being a tight-wad, as I don't mind paying for the PS4 version when it comes out, but what I don't want to do is drop lots of cash on the sub-standard Vita version and then find out there is no cross-buy when I could have saved my cash for the PS4 version.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
So if PS+ is supported by the PS5 that comes out in 7 years from now should be get a free upgrade for tables, and the PS6 in 14 years time?

We have a niche hobby and the fanbase is not large enough to support the model proposed. If Farsight do this, then they won't long and it's goodbye PA. Do people realise how much software development costs?

The points about unfixed issues I agree are not acceptable and Farsight have to convince Sony to relax their rules for patching.

No, of course I wouldn't expect to have tables transferred in 7 years.

This is somewhat of a unique situation though where they will be releasing DLC tables for a system that is being replaced with a successor in less than 6 months. So for those of us that plan on upgrading to a PS4 it really only makes sense to continue buying more tables on the PS3 if we would be able to "transfer" them to the new TPA.

As far as fixes for the PS3 goes it looks like the PS4 is their answer.
I don't see why thy can't just release a TPA 2 (like Zen has done) and improve everything that needs improving + add a Cross-Buy for tables being purchased between now and December.

mrtangerineman

May 7, 2013
Good idea. I expect there will be a big drop in DLC sales for the next packs released with the current confusion and lack of official statement from Farsight, especially from anyone planning an early PS4 purchase. If they announced now that any season 2 packs would cross buy to PS4 then nobody would have a reason to stop buying. The work going back and redeveloping every table from season 1 would justify the repurchase cost. Not the anyone from FS will read this or take any notice. Customer relations doesn't seem their strong suit.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
No, of course I wouldn't expect to have tables transferred in 7 years.

This is somewhat of a unique situation though where they will be releasing DLC tables for a system that is being replaced with a successor in less than 6 months. So for those of us that plan on upgrading to a PS4 it really only makes sense to continue buying more tables on the PS3 if we would be able to "transfer" them to the new TPA.

As far as fixes for the PS3 goes it looks like the PS4 is their answer.
I don't see why thy can't just release a TPA 2 (like Zen has done) and improve everything that needs improving + add a Cross-Buy for tables being purchased between now and December.

It's not a unique situation. I bought nhl2k6 for the xbox. Do you think I got a copy of it free on the 360? They were dropped the same day even. The xbox vs android is a good analogy because they are different platforms. Different platforms means they are different games.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I'm 100% OK with considering the PS4 version completely separate from the PS3 version and requiring a second purchase... as long as FS doesn't try to have their cake and eat it too. The PS3 version is deficient in a lot of ways right now, and if they continue to work on correcting the problems in it then I'm fine with this approach.

However, since FS is considering the PS4 version a completely separate game then problems being corrected in that version has nothing to do with the PS3 game. In this scenario they should never use the existence of the PS4 version as an excuse for not fixing what's wrong with the PS3 version. As long as they don't do that I'll continue buying the PS3 releases and then all of the PS4 releases without complaint.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
Totally fine with rebuying the PS4 version again, and I expected to. You can't really expect a company to put the time and effort into building a product for a new platform and then just give it away.

At the risk of repeating myself, I just hope we can see an improved Vita version to go along with it (and yes, with cross-buy for buying the PS4 version). Remote Play to the PS4 is also possible, but it needs to be rock-solid on the framerate.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
More from Facebook on PC. (I guess this info should be in PC thread but it is an offshoot of our discussion in here so oh well):

Someone asked:
"Why on Earth would you not have features available on PC when any PC could be the eqivalent, if not superior to, any console? Also, why is it taking so very long from Greenlight to release on PC?"

The Pinball Arcade:
"The PC version is using directx 9 right now, which doesn't support all the features we'd like it to, we'll be adding support for directx 11 and are trying to get as much as we can out of directx 9 at the moment. Not everyone has video cards that support directx 11 so this solution is better for everyone at release time. The reason it is taking so long is because it has bugs that we are ironing out and it needs to finish going through internal testing before a beta is ready. All of this means a higher quality product by release time."

This is great news as it tells us they are only constrained by the graphics libraries they currently use, so things can only get better.

:cool:

Sometime FS decision making is questionable, i mean how many other developers would develop just for DX9 and then say that they will add DX10/11 later, its not like DX10/11 is a new development in the world of PC. Why on earth didn't they just develope for both from the start like a normal developer would!!???

Its like the enjoy making a rod for their own back sometimes

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Not going to be a guinea pig for PS4 the way I was for PS3.

I'm sure a majority of the resources are from previous versions of TPA/WPHOF/GHOF.

I don't know that they would actually re-scan the table art and other labor intensive things from scratch.
Hopefully they've scanned these in ultra high resolution and saved in a loss-less format.

Last edited:

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
I just hope all the tables are avialable at launch. Cause thats one of the main reasons for buying a PS4. Having a system that's not my iphone to play all these tables on. The PS4 games are just a bonus.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Spoon Im refering to how almost every pack is different some how and sometimes you get good lighting and sometimes you get good flippers, basically this has been a learning experience for FS dealing with SONY. I would need to see consistency across the board and things like balls passing through objects GONE! Im glad I could help fund thier experimental phase but I thought it would get fixed....:( OOPS.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I just hope all the tables are avialable at launch.

I actually hope they aren't, 'cause unless they hire like a dozen more people I don't think they could get them all done properly by then. I'd be much happier with four amazing-looking tables than 20 good-to-mediocre ones, 'cause I've already got that. : P

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I actually hope they aren't, 'cause unless they hire like a dozen more people I don't think they could get them all done properly by then. I'd be much happier with four amazing-looking tables than 20 good-to-mediocre ones, 'cause I've already got that. : P

Definitely agree. They should take their time and maximize the polish right from the start.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Sometime FS decision making is questionable, i mean how many other developers would develop just for DX9 and then say that they will add DX10/11 later, its not like DX10/11 is a new development in the world of PC. Why on earth didn't they just develope for both from the start like a normal developer would!!???

I guess the communication guy got it wrong. Isn't the XBox360 only supporting DX9? If FS wants to re-use code as much as possible they would have to stick to DX9 and slowly upgrade their libraries over time.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013

Gotta agree with that too. I would be happy with four tables initially, as long as FarSight mix them up a little this time, so that we don't have the same core pack that we previously had.

As I've only been able to play on 360, I've been playing those tables a long time!

How about a new core pack of:
1. Star Trek TNG
2. Twilight Zone
3. Attack from Mars
4. Centaur

Don't think FarSight would place TZ within a core pack, so I would be happy to replace that with one from the original pack. Say... Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.