Request Sound test!

starck

Jun 7, 2012
Which tables?

Many are sampled directly from the real machine so those can't possibly sound any more accurate than direct from the real game ( although the compression certainly makes things worse ).

Thanks for replying!

I've posted a thread a while ago here - this post is a good example, one of many:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...lity-of-each-table?p=9554&viewfull=1#post9554

I think MB may have the best sound quality of any of the newer tables, for whatever reason. For instance, the attack from mars down the street from me sounds much better than the audio from TPA (which is noisy/'grainy'/sounds compressed or incorrectly transcoded into a different audio format/etc. IMO there are truly only a couple of tables (maybe less) on TPA that do not have this problem. I hear it in virtually every table. Of course, this is my opinion, and I'm a bit of a sound nut, so these things stick out to me. YMMV...

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Funny, I pointed that out the other day to Stuart ( on Ios ). I agree the music should totally be off during Pro Mode or at least an option to turn it off anyway. I'll suggest it ( again ) to be sure. Aside from that though, the sound test via the coin door should be 100% authentic so if not, let me know.

Fix for this has been put in.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
The only problem I noticed with Granner's website is that the files look to have been specifically mixed with playing in mind, there might not be a 'clean' version of said files with no effects going on in the background.

And I suggest all pinball nuts 'archive' said files for the future because there's loads of dead end links on that site and I'd hate it for those files to disappear too.

It's time consuming, but all you gotta do is change the .m3u extension in each url to .mp3 and voila, you have all the music to the games you love in better quality than the sound roms.

sellenoff

FarSight Programmer
Aug 17, 2012
That's an awesome find! Thanks for sharing.

As to your point in comparing those to TPA, it's not a fair comparison: my own machines don't sound as good as some of those files at least coming out of the original speakers. Here's a quote from that site:

"Using the original game electronics & software, and a nifty device set up to emulate the game as it made sound requests, Marcel called up each music track & each sound effect for each of the games listed below, and recorded the audio into his computer. Then, using standard Wintel-based audio tools (which by the way allowed him to apply some very nice DSP enhancements to the audio),..."

I wonder how he recorded the audio and if he tapped in using a massive amp, thing sounds amazing.

I agree 100% with you though, that the audio coming out of my wife's iphone doesn't sound nearly as good as when I submitted it ( which sounds in most cases as good / original as it can w/o any DSP added to it ), so there's definitely quality loss going on.

Please visit Chris Granner's website and listen to his audio files and simply compare them to the pinball arcade.
http://www.cgmusic.net/archives.html

Last edited:

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
Ok I only have one small beef about voice, if you play Attack from mars in an Arcade and get to New York "we have to save the Statue of liberty" that plays fine. When you destroy the U.F.O I never hear "nobody messes with the USA" that voice sample does not exsist in the Pinball Arcade version. The ending quotes on the other Country's work fine like England "TATA for now" or Italy "Italia Italia". Even when I played Visual Pinmame I would hear Nobody messes with the USA, it's not a big deal but I just like hearing all their ending quotes. I just want to say give it a try I guarantee when you destroy the UFO for USA you won't hear any closing voice after it, my guess it's a bug in the ROM somewhere. Please try it a few times and let me know what you hear, I can't believe I did all this writing just for one sound bug, anyway just post one here Thank you.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Just a word of caution. Some of the pinball sound clips out on the web are studio recordings, before the clips were compressed and stored on game ROMs.

So, it may not be fair to compare what we hear in TPA against the studio recording.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
Just a word of caution. Some of the pinball sound clips out on the web are studio recordings, before the clips were compressed and stored on game ROMs.

So, it may not be fair to compare what we hear in TPA against the studio recording.

Good to know- thanks! Maybe HQ YouTube videos of the tables might be a better way to compare then *shrug*.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.