PS3 - Bug Another Lag Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigL2112

Jun 25, 2013
Hi folks -

Been lurking around here since TPA was made available to PS+ members last month and have been playing the heck out of the four included tables on the Vita. Unfortunately, the flipper lag issue is blatantly present on the PS3 version and really makes the game more or less unplayable.

It's obviously a fairly wide-spread issue...a quick Google search can confirm this, and it even sounds like it's been acknowledged by the FarSight folks. I have to say, I am disappointed that it has not been resolved after all of these months..

I'd love to buy some extra table packs (and back the T2 Kickstarter project, which I am sure will end up being outstanding) but am hesitant to since they, too, would be unplayable on the PS3. I have to wonder how many other folks are doing the same...

Has anyone seen a recent update from FarSight on this issue and if they plan on correcting it?

Thanks everyone!

-Craig

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I have to wonder how many other folks are doing the same...

Same here. I won't purchase anymore stuff (especially the Season Pack) until FS fix the PS3 lag. Too bad to play in 720p as the game is a lot nicer in 1080i/p.

Has anyone seen a recent update from FarSight on this issue and if they plan on correcting it?

According to their statements, they're working on it. We all hope at least some improvements concerning lag in the next update (July) or in September update.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Hi folks -

Been lurking around here since TPA was made available to PS+ members last month and have been playing the heck out of the four included tables on the Vita. Unfortunately, the flipper lag issue is blatantly present on the PS3 version and really makes the game more or less unplayable.

It's obviously a fairly wide-spread issue...a quick Google search can confirm this, and it even sounds like it's been acknowledged by the FarSight folks. I have to say, I am disappointed that it has not been resolved after all of these months..

I'd love to buy some extra table packs (and back the T2 Kickstarter project, which I am sure will end up being outstanding) but am hesitant to since they, too, would be unplayable on the PS3. I have to wonder how many other folks are doing the same...

Thanks everyone!

-Craig

If you're having really bad lag then it is not because of the game. TPA is down to 1 frame of lag that FS has found and is working on a fix for. If your lag is really prominent it is probably an artifact of your tv and/or a/v receiver. If your tv has a game mode, try that. Otherwise try turning off all filters and processing that your tv is doing. If you have an a/v receiver that the video signal is going through then do the same on that as well.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
For me, switching to 720p - I'd previously been running in 1080i - eliminated the flipper lag. Yeah, it sucks to have to run in a lower resolution but, IMHO, the game still looks good at 720p.

CraigL2112

Jun 25, 2013
If you're having really bad lag then it is not because of the game. TPA is down to 1 frame of lag that FS has found and is working on a fix for. If your lag is really prominent it is probably an artifact of your tv and/or a/v receiver. If your tv has a game mode, try that. Otherwise try turning off all filters and processing that your tv is doing. If you have an a/v receiver that the video signal is going through then do the same on that as well.

Honestly, I don't buy this. Every single other game works perfectly without issue. Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed, Journey, Batman, etc, etc. All perfect, zero issues.

I'll try ratcheting down to 720P to see if that does it.. certainly is worth a shot.

-Craig

CraigL2112

Jun 25, 2013
Same here. I won't purchase anymore stuff (especially the Season Pack) until FS fix the PS3 lag. Too bad to play in 720p as the game is a lot nicer in 1080i/p.

According to their statements, they're working on it. We all hope at least some improvements concerning lag in the next update (July) or in September update.

I would have bought the Season Pack FOR SURE if the lag issue were not present!

Here's to hoping they fix the lag for good in the next update.

Thanks for your reply!

-Craig

Deathtickle

Dec 10, 2012
I think this is TV dependent. What TV do you have. I bought my Toshiba just for gaming on. The features it has although good doesnt screw up games like other units can. Its usually the onboard TV stuff that messes with gaming, some game modes on the TV never solve the problem. With the Toshiba I never have to even use game mode.

Funny how Sony TV's can be a crap gaming set up; Ive seen that first hand. Trouble game TV I have seen first hand in no particular order LG, Sony, Samsung, Westing house, Vizio. Good TV's Ive seen Panasonic, Toshiba, Mitsubishi.

If you like gaming like I do. Its worth spending a few hundred more. Cause games like GTA and TPA deserve the best and so do you. Come on Sept 17th!!!

Trenchbroom

Apr 20, 2013
I am far more worried about the T2 table having unrepairable bugs than having the flipper lag issue. The flippers should be fixable since it's a core game issue.

If they release T2 with major show stopping bugs I will refuse to buy anything from FS again (T2 is one of my favorite tables!).

CraigL2112

Jun 25, 2013
I think this is TV dependent. What TV do you have. I bought my Toshiba just for gaming on. The features it has although good doesnt screw up games like other units can. Its usually the onboard TV stuff that messes with gaming, some game modes on the TV never solve the problem. With the Toshiba I never have to even use game mode.

Funny how Sony TV's can be a crap gaming set up; Ive seen that first hand. Trouble game TV I have seen first hand in no particular order LG, Sony, Samsung, Westing house, Vizio. Good TV's Ive seen Panasonic, Toshiba, Mitsubishi.

If you like gaming like I do. Its worth spending a few hundred more. Cause games like GTA and TPA deserve the best and so do you. Come on Sept 17th!!!

I spent a considerable sum on my 7000-series Samsung LED set -- it looks fantastic for everything, and every other game I've played, plays perfectly. Except TPA.

I've also seen numerous people report they've unplugged their PS3s, plugged in an Xbox360, fired up TPA on that, and it's perfect. Assuming that's accurate, it certainly pins the issue down........

Deathtickle

Dec 10, 2012
I hope that there is a solution to your problem. I have seen a Samsung playing CoD that was at least 3 seconds behind what i was doing with the controller. The gamer in me is a Panasonic, Toshiba buyer since the era of LCD/LED/ Plasma entered the fold (this is just my life experience).

I didn't mean anything I said to be derogatory, sorry if it came off that way.

CraigL2112

Jun 25, 2013
I hope that there is a solution to your problem. I have seen a Samsung playing CoD that was at least 3 seconds behind what i was doing with the controller. The gamer in me is a Panasonic, Toshiba buyer since the era of LCD/LED/ Plasma entered the fold (this is just my life experience).

I didn't mean anything I said to be derogatory, sorry if it came off that way.

Nope, no worries. Like I said, literally every other game plays perfectly. It's clear where the issue is.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012

It's all in this thread. Basically the game launched with two frames of input lag at 1080p and one frame of lag at 720p; this lag was added to handle processing of the additional lighting effect used in the PS3 version. Late last year they reduced the lag by one frame, so now we're at 1 frame of lag at 1080p, and none at 720p; if you switch your XMB Display Settings to a Custom setting with the 1080 options unchecked--assuming your display device can display 720p--then run the game, you won't have lag.

There have been various claims that certain display devices add their own lag to the game, especially if they aren't set to the device's equivalent of "Game Mode" (ie minimum additional display processing). Reports have generally conflicted and no real list of actual problem devices has been compiled.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
I just have a plain jane 32 inch LCD Westinghouse and I have no additional lag at 1080p, I have no game mode or extra processing modes 1 frame of lag can definitely be adjusted by knowing it exists and making your shots, catching the ball, etc...But by know there really shouldn't be this issue at all. Thre's more than the Cell processor in there.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I'd you are not satisfied with the current ps3 version, consider pledging to the kickstarter an investment. If it doesn't reach the goal now, they will almost definitely NEVER get to do this table. And if you have a ps4 5 years down the road and this game runs flawlessly on it, you're probably going to want to play T2

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I'd you are not satisfied with the current ps3 version, consider pledging to the kickstarter an investment. If it doesn't reach the goal now, they will almost definitely NEVER get to do this table. And if you have a ps4 5 years down the road and this game runs flawlessly on it, you're probably going to want to play T2

+1

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I have pledged 50 dollars so far. At 720p and Game mode on TV lag is non-existent, sure it is not as nice as 1080p but it is still very much enjoyable.
I own TPA on 3 devices (PS3, 360, iPad) and will go with PC as soon as it is available ;)

Plus we want T2 for TPA! Like previous poster wrote. (And hopefully Addams Family :O )

As soon as the 360 issues are solved I will buy all tables for that console also (it is at my parents house, so I can play TPA everywhere! ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online