Oooooooh Yeah! WWF Royal Rumble in the House!

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
My 30th birthday was back in April, and my wife really wanted to do something special for me, so she contacted my friends and family and had them all chip in some cash to go towards a table:

2013-04-16%2019.33.30.jpg

This money, combined with some of my own, allowed me to purchase my first table: WWF Royal Rumble!

2013-06-22%2010.30.22%20%281%29.jpg

The table is in incredible condition. Only a few nicks on the cabinet, and the playfield and backglass are nearly flawless. There's a tiny bit of wear around the Start Mode holes, but I've got Cliffys on the way to cover/protect them. Most of the bulbs have been replaced with LEDs.

2013-07-06%2017.24.42.jpg

While I'd played the VP recreation of the game a fair amount prior to purchase, I'd never played the real table until I picked it up. It's a really solid game! There are a bunch of interesting historical notes around the creation of this game (licensing issues, coming and going of talent, etc etc.) but the thing I find most fascinating is that it was originally designed to be a standard sized game, and it was just before the design was finalized that it was turned into a widebody. As a result, there are two shots (Get Back in the Ring/Macho Man lanes) that are really tough to make because they're at such a flat angle. This, combined with the tightness of the Start Mode shots (they're maybe 66% as wide as the Electric Chair on Addams) plus the always hilarious Data East hold flipper penalties, makes it a really difficult game! I've probably put 100 or so plays on it in the two weeks I've had it, and I haven't reached the wizard mode or gotten the Super Jackpot yet (one drop target away!)

Nothing needed to be fixed upon delivery, but I've been cracking it open on a regular basis to get myself familiar with how to repair when the time comes. Once the Cliffys come I plan on doing a full teardown (need to do a partial to install them) and a full playfield clean/wax, at which point I'll put in the new ultra gloss balls I ordered.

All in all, owning my first machine has proven more amazing then I even could have expected. The only drawback so far (except for getting it upstairs!) is that it's made my mini virtual cab look pretty sad by comparison:

2013-07-06%2017.23.16.jpg

I know I'm never going to see this game in TPA because of the license, so I'm thrilled to own it!

N

netizen

if you want a home for that mini cab to be less sad in :)

What a great b-day present

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Thanks all! One thing I didn't get into above, but is worth mentioning:

My dad and I have made it a tradition to go to the Red Sox game every Patriots' Day (they play extra early.) This year, with Patriots' Day falling on my 30th birthday, it was an extra special occasion. Unfortunately, as most of you know, this year's Patriots' Day celebration was marred by the bombing attack at the Boston Marathon finish line. Traditionally, my dad an I always make our way to the finish line once the Sox game ends: Indeed, I have a picture of us standing about a half mile from the finish line about 20 minutes before the bombing.

Here's where things get cosmic: The reason we didn't go to the finish line this year was that I wanted to go to Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham NH for a few hours before my flight back home out of Manchester. Without being too melodramatic, it's fair to say that pinball kept me safe that day. We were obviously very emotional as soon as we heard the tragedy that we narrowly missed, and it felt terrible to be enjoying pinball at a time like that, but I don't know what else we could have done to stay sane at that time. After all of that, coming home to my wife, and finding out that my birthday present was a group effort from all of my friends and family to give me the very thing that brought me safety and comfort earlier that day... man... quite a moment. (And just for good measure, I became an uncle that day too!)

Nice now you need some action figures on top :p I see quarters is it not set to free play?

Next time I'm at my parents place I'm going to dig through storage to see if they kept any of my old action figures. If they did, thinking about who's on the machine, I definitely have (at least):

Hulk
Macho Man
Bret Hart
Shawn Michaels
Tatanka
Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Undertaker
Razor Ramon
Mr. Perfect

I have a feeling they might have gotten rid of them, but maybe I still have my old replica Intercontinental Belt I can use as a topper. :)

I have it set to take quarters primarily so I don't spend too much time playing it. On Free Play, you could never drag me away. If it's set to take quarters, I can do a better job stopping myself after a handful of games (of course, I can always open the coin door and get more...)

Last edited:

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
I have it set to take quarters primarily so I don't spend too much time playing it. On Free Play, you could never drag me away. If it's set to take quarters, I can do a better job stopping myself after a handful of games (of course, I can always open the coin door and get more...)

right on !!

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Plus, anybody who chipped in for the machine gets free games, but any OTHER visitors have to pay. :)

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Thank you! I have been!

I actually got to the doorstep of wizard mode shortly after my last post. Lit all nine modes and hit the scoop again. All I needed to do was hit each ramp once, but alas, the scoop kick shot immediately to the left outlane.

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Thanks! I think I'm finally ready to do a full teardown, cleaning, cliffy install, wax, new balls and rubbers job. Now I just need to find the time. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.