(Minor Nitpick) The font keeps changing!

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
For some reason, it feels like most of the new TPA packs keep using different fonts for the titles in the menu. It personally makes the menu feel very weird to me. Why didn't they stick with the font they used from the Core Pack?

Apparently, it looks like the Core Pack font was used from the beginning to the release of DD / FP in February. They used a much thinner font for the CC / CP release in March, a more refined version of the previous font for WH20 / SS in April, an even more refined font of the previous for CENTAUR / P*B in May, a font that looks eerily similar to the original for CHAMP / WW in June, and then the same font as in May for F2K / GN in July. No offense, but can you make up your mind?

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
I've been noticing this for the past few months as well - just look the leading "C" in Cactus Canyon, Centaur, Central Park, Champion Pub, and Cirqus Voltaire - all different!

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Different fonts:
TPAFonts.png

Last edited:

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Or probably the same font, just it's been flattened into the image they use rather than drawn over the image. I suspect the artwork they use for the table buttons comes in different sizes, then they add int he text and do a final resize for the platform, so it's the same font, but different re-sizings make it appear different.

If you want to nitpick, why is "Arabian Nights" tucked in among the Ts? Can't fit in "Tales of the" somewhere? After all, it looks out of place in the list. I think the previous versions did have the "Tales of the".

Bride of Pinbot had the same issue - it sorted under the "T" because it was The Machine: Bride of Pinbot, but you'd just see "Bride of Pinbot" sorted among Star Trek and Twilight Zone.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
If only they'd use the pinballarcadefans official acronym list, the names would be uniform and there'd be no confusion! ;)

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
Or probably the same font, just it's been flattened into the image they use rather than drawn over the image. I suspect the artwork they use for the table buttons comes in different sizes, then they add int he text and do a final resize for the platform, so it's the same font, but different re-sizings make it appear different.
nah those are absolutely different fonts.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
They're all the same font, just the size/weight/kerning is different.
They can't be. Look at the "C" in Central Park compared to the "C" in Cirqus Voltaire. The "C" extends much further around in the Cirqus Voltaire version. Size/weight/kerning won't change the basic letterform like that.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Definitely different fonts. I've noticed a few things that are getting "sloppy" in regards to the apps look and feel...

There are a few things about the program that are in serious need of some attention. The menu/navigation/settings system is just.... awful. Those cartoonish overly large fonts, having to scroll down to see option items because of the size of the list, etc... heck just the general "feel" of the navigation screams PSOne or some other late 90s/early 2000's console It takes literally like 4-5 button presses and selections just to change a ball or get into the settings menu, and then once you select it, it just sits there until you "O" back out of that menu screen.

The utter lack of any basic controller mapping. This is PS101 stuff here. While they are at it, adding the option to disable the two-stage flippers that totally screw up your game would be awesome. Especially since it was never there before and we all learned to play these tables with one set of flippers behaving as they should! :confused:

I believe it's been mentioned (Ryan IIRC) that the menus are a sore spot internally and certainly are due for some work. I just don't know if we'll ever see it on the current gen of TPA. FS seems to be in "Crank out as many tables as we can for DLC packs and income" mode, versus "Let's update and bug-fix the core game and lighting issues for the long-time faithful fans who have stuck with this platform" mode. I understand that bug-fixes and basic navigation and menu updates are not profitable endeavors, but they sure do allow me to recommend this game to other friends and pinball lovers!

To me, the table recreations are getting better, as are the mobile versions. I just don't see the core consoles getting the love that the iOS/Android ports do, and I know they are spending a bunch of internal resources on a PC port that still hasn't seen the light of day. All of this takes time and dev attention away from the platforms that launched FS and TPA, and it sucks that we're still paying the price with buggered up tables, wonky lighting and weird ball bugs, all the while waiting an extra 2 months for tables that I have already bought and paid for, that are available on every other platform besides PS3.

Last edited:

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
They're all the same font, just the size/weight/kerning is different.
no they're not. the letters are actually shaped differently. look at the shape of the C in Champion Pub compared to Central Park. or look at the lowercase t in "Voltaire" compared to Centaur.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
it's not that big of a deal ... I can get where i'm going pretty fast nowadays in TPA, and that's the important thing. but sure, I agree the UI could be a lot more refined from an aesthetic standpoint. it functions a little better than it looks, though. i'd give its looks a C-, and its functionality a B. improving the menus shouldn't be a pressing issue imo, especially since we got a total menu redesign just last year.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
You're not the only one. I was blissfully unaware until this thread, now it's all I can see when I pick a table. Still, compared to gameplay issues, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

I did dutifully record it in the master issues lists, though. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.