And then there were 3! (...4...5...6...7!)

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Black Rose LED'd ( well except the playfield GI, awaiting LEDs ). Photos never seem to catch the full vibrancy of LEDs.

20140926_223115_zpsz0xbgbaf.jpg

Oh and another on the way, Bally Medusa. Fancied something a bit older.

Gah. I was just shopping craaigs list this morning looking for a Black Rose and then I see your post.
I've never played it in real life, but after playing it in Pinball Arcade it is one of my most wanted to own pins.
I think it has a couple of the most satisfying shots of any pin I've ever played (real or video). The triple ricochet shot and the main Sink Ships payoff.
I want one and when I get it I will LED it and mod it with all the PotC mods, Hook mods and pirate/fishtank toys I can get.

What did you pay for it? and what kind of shape is/was it in?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I'm in the uk so any price comparisons arent really usefull but I paid £1100 for it. Its in pretty good nick, cab has been touched up but done very well. Playfield is good. Main mpu board has been replaced with an altec.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The Black Rose led lighting turned out very nice. Inserts really pop. Especially around the cannon and slings. Not too bright, just right. Tough area to light. I see so many where folks blind you with lighting under the slings. Well done Kev.

Last edited:

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
The Black Rose led lighting turned out very nice. Inserts really pop. Especially around the cannon and slings. Not too bright, just right. Tough area to light. I see so many where folks blind you with lighting under the slings. Well done Kev.
Thanks. It is pretty bright IRL. I haven't fitted leds to the playfield GI yet, just got them today but it won't be over bright, just warm white and red frosties ( Black Rose has white and red GI circuits ). The cannon has blue flashers that flash when the canon is loaded but hard to capture on camera.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Medusa is finally here ...
Colour changing leds behind the eyes but other than that it's all incandescent. Tried a few in inserts but it was horrible :-(
20141026_164332_zpswgrkgmxo.jpg

I guess that makes it 9 :D.....plus BOP on loan.

Last edited:

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
Intervention time... its very clear that you do have a pinball problem and you need help. Those pins cannot fill the hole inside you and playing pinball is not a substitute for love. I can help you get past all this, just mail me all those beaut... i mean problematic tables right away. ...so you can get on the path to recovery.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Medusa! Great pin and I haven't seen one in ages. Please post a vid when you have her up and running. I'd get a kick out of seeing one in action.

Here's a gameplay video as promised. I'm really enjoying this machine and playing it a lot more that all my others atm ( well it is new so I'm bound to say that! ). More often than not games are very short leaving you with that just one more go feeling. It has some unusual features which set it aside from other machines I've played....

A skillshot that's well worth trying to get right, use timing and power to try to make as many rollovers as you can as they light up in sequence to affect the spinner value hugely.
Zipper flippers obviously.
Lit lower flippers.
An interesting way to earn the extra ball, dropping the 4 drop targets on the right side stops one of the 2 centre digits on the playfield display, hitting the 3 standups on the left side in order stops the other digit. Match them to earn the extra ball.
An unlimited extra ball earned by filling the Olympus bar along the top to a certain level, which keeps relaunching until the accumulated timer reaches zero.
Nudging in the outlanes has a lot to bounce the ball off, rubber on all sides and the star rollover making it very difficult but satisfying when you do pull it off.
The shield of the gods movable centre post between the flipper, starts with 5 uses but more can be earned by taking the left or right lanes to the upper playfield.

Quality is much better if watched directly on YouTube rather than the embedded video...

Oh, and here's my tacky topper :D
20141103_075804_zpslsoaitpo.jpg

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Boy does that bring back memories. I had totally forgotten the sounds of Medusa. Great to hear them again. I always loved the lights under the flippers, so cool. Was never any good at that center post save, but it's a good little gimmick. I played a rough one at a pin show recently that had me questioning my nostalgia for Medusa. But your vid helped restore my faith in it being a badass pin. Thanks for sharing Kevlar.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Intervention time... its very clear that you do have a pinball problem and you need help. Those pins cannot fill the hole inside you and playing pinball is not a substitute for love. I can help you get past all this, just mail me all those beaut... i mean problematic tables right away. ...so you can get on the path to recovery.

It's a very awesome problem to have.

karl

May 10, 2012
What an awesome video. Looks like a fab game from the year that put all other companies way behind Bally. What I would give to have all Bally games from 81.

You are a lucky man, Kevlar!

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Thanks Karl. Currently trying to buy an Elektra too.

Ready for party tonight...

I moved the RFM into the dining room to ease congestion in the doorway. Hope the machines all behave tonight.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Thanks Karl. Currently trying to buy an Elektra too.

Ready for party tonight...

<VIDEO>
I moved the RFM into the dining room to ease congestion in the doorway. Hope the machines all behave tonight.

Nice place, if I'm ever on the other side of the pond I'm going to invite myself over.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.