Title Bug: General - Game can't recover from an ALT + TAB while in Fullscreen
OS Version: Windows 7
Graphics Card: ATI HD 5870
Ram: 4GB
Version #: 0.007
Display Mode: Full Screen
Display Resolution: 1920x1080

Frequency of Occurrence: 100% of the time

Expected Result: Game should minimize when pressing ALT + TAB, then resume when clicked on in the taskbar.
Actual Result: Game can't recover from an ALT + TAB while in Fullscreen, although the game sound effects sometimes keep playing. Have to kill the process and relaunch it.

Last edited:

roemmic9

Aug 14, 2013
Same problem here.

The game does not recover when you re-enter the game. Also it appears that the game does not pause when you minimize it or if you alt+tab out it.
It would be better to pause the game when it looses focus and also it would be better to show the titlebar when you run the game in windowed mode.

KingNeptune

Feb 8, 2013
This occurs for me any time the game loses focus from full-screen mode, even if the focus is on another monitor.

Also appears mouse/kb inputs are still active in the game as while the game window is black after losing focus, you can hear it react to inputs.
Sounds seem to be table-sounds only. ROM emulation doesn't seem to be reacting audibly to inputs or reacts unpredictably and ball motion seems to be suspended.

JavaJack

Jun 25, 2012
Still happening in 0.009 for me. I got thrown out of the game by the "Sticky Keys" dialog popping up on the desktop (I did disable it, to prevent this from happening again). But I the game window remained black and I had to kill it from Task Manager.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Still happening in 0.009 for me. I got thrown out of the game by the "Sticky Keys" dialog popping up on the desktop (I did disable it, to prevent this from happening again). But I the game window remained black and I had to kill it from Task Manager.

Same here confirmed

timmyD

Nov 28, 2012
One trick on Win8 is to log off, then on. (may work in other Win versions)

If you happen to have Firefox open with a "close all tabs?" requester popped up, Windows won't log off but TPA finally quits...

I'm sure FS will fix this bug soon, it's pretty obvious.

R

Rhandos

Confirmed. Win 7 x64.

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012
I try going into the task manager, but the blackness blocks me from seeing anything unless I alt-tab and hold it which is worthless anyway since I can't control task manager to kill the process. I had to reboot to resolve the issue. No biggie, just wanted to throw in my two cents.

toolb0x

Aug 14, 2013
Alt Tab = Black Screen and Crash

OS Version: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 with Catalyst 13.4 drivers
Ram: 6GB
Version 0.010
Display Mode: Full
Display Resolution: 1920x1080

Frequency of Occurrence: Everytime

Expected Result: Return playing the game.

When I Alt tab out of the game and try to alt tab back into it, the game always give me a black screen and if I press any buttons or do anything with the mouse, it will crash.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just wanted to bump this up as it's an important issue, IMO. I use ALT + TAB a lot, as I'm know a lot of other gamers do as well.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Just had a 150M+ game of RBION wiped because ZoneAlarm update flicked on, and I couldn't ALT+TAB back. TPA black screen and not responding in task manager. Yep, a bit annoying.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
ALT TAB Results In Black Screen

OS Version: Windows 7 64Bit
Graphics Card: AMD HD7950
Ram: 16GB
Version 0.014
Display Mode: Full Screen
Display Resolution: 2560x1440

Frequency of Occurrence: Everytime

Expected Result: Back To Game

Actual Result: Just get a black screen, have to quit

Comment: I have noticed that if you Alt Tab when playing a game in full screen mode then return back to the game you get just a black screen but can still hear the game playing. Only way to get around this is to close the program down

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.