The Android version of Cirqus Voltaire & Funhouse is out!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I'm a bit disappointed. Circus Voltaire ball movement is slow as hell (if you like MM like I do then CV has very low fun level), Funhouse has choppy animation when the HUD is turned on and MM STDM bug is still there. :(
CV is a fairly slow table in real life - about on par with ToM. It definitely plays differently than MM.

Also, it is entirely possible for a failed shot to either ramp on the real MM to drain SDTM. Those guides are meant to reduce the chance of that happening, not eliminate it entirely. You still need to be prepared to nudge.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I tried all tables briefly with the 1.0.6 update and for me the playability has sadly become worse on nearly every table... Every table now starts out with jittering graphics / choppy framerate on SGS II, running ICS. This can be fixed by going into the pause menu for a moment and waiting for the "resume game"-timer to come up on *most* tables. Disappointingly this fix does not work on Funhouse and (no longer works!) on BoP. Now the only thing that works is to turn the HUD off permanently. Also, I hate to say this, but it seems to me that this update introduced flipper lag on Android... It's hard to explain and will require some more in-depth playing, but the flipper travel and reaction has become "choppy" and feels totally different from the previous version. Another thing I noticed is that the new plunger cam doesn't make sense on some of the tables, because the plunger is invisible / obstructed from the top view and can't be gauged at all...

N

Nik Barbour

I've finally got dlc#2.

My device is filtered by the market so have been initially sneaking in via the back door, but that got shut when android market became the Google play app.
Found 1 market website where you can download apk files of free apps but they are so slow to update their file database.
So today tried modding my build.prop file to change my phones id.
Found an app that does it for you called 'device spoofer' costs 90p.
Fire up the app, pick a new device id, press a button and after a restart I'm rocking a sensation 4G instead of a desire s.
Now I can see TPA no problem.
If anyone else is having this same problem, 'device spoofer' is the answer - but you've got to be rooted.

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

I'm a bit disappointed. Circus Voltaire ball movement is slow as hell (if you like MM like I do then CV has very low fun level), Funhouse has choppy animation when the HUD is turned on and MM STDM bug is still there. :(

A bit of over clock gets rid of the chopiness in Funhouse for me.
Maybe it's an ICS issue as both you and goforthewall are both seeing this issue.
Not played a lot with dlc2 yet. But will report back if I get this issue.

adenosine

Apr 29, 2012
A bit of over clock gets rid of the chopiness in Funhouse for me.
Maybe it's an ICS issue as both you and goforthewall are both seeing this issue.
Not played a lot with dlc2 yet. But will report back if I get this issue.

I don't think it's an issue with ICS. I have an ICS phone and Funhouse isn't choppy for me at all. It doesn't even seem to stress my phone that much. I can tell when a game is really pushing it because it will get really hot. TPA barely warms it up much. I wonder how threaded TPA is, if it's able to make use of all four cores of my phone that would explain why it's smooth when it's choppy for others.

The only ICS problem I see is the annoying action overflow button. I have lost count of how many times a ball drained because I hit the bar it was on instead of making a flipper move.

Last edited:

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
CV with the HUD left on, on top of the one mounted at the back of the playing field, didn't slow my phone down at all. I'm still running Gingerbread 2.3.6, since the ICS 4.0.3 I downloaded from XDA was giving me some problems. The HUD really only gives me a problem on Funhouse.

Oddly enough, I got to try the game on my brother's Vita, and I was getting lag on Black Hole, of all things, primarily when the ball was launched and going down one of the three slots at top.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I know you're not necessarily criticizing the simulation as much as the table itself, but just to show how well the speed of the virtual version compares to the real thing
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...v=cxidaSevKco&start2=43&authorName=meahwahwah

Start really comparing from around 30 secs on when the 2 videos do some similar shots. Looks very similar to me.

N

Nik Barbour

I don't think it's an issue with ICS. I have an ICS phone and Funhouse isn't choppy for me at all. It doesn't even seem to stress my phone that much. I can tell when a game is really pushing it because it will get really hot. TPA barely warms it up much. I wonder how threaded TPA is, if it's able to make use of all four cores of my phone that would explain why it's smooth when it's choppy for others.

The only ICS problem I see is the annoying action overflow button. I have lost count of how many times a ball drained because I hit the bar it was on instead of making a flipper move.

Your just showing off with that many cores - you couldn't lend me one could you, I've only got one.
Bit off topic but what's the camera like on that phone, the spec looks awesome!

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
The performance has definitely gotten worse on my phone too. I can't even open the app 90% of the time. Crappy Droid X. Single Core. Gingerbread. Runs GREAT on my Sony Tablet though! So I'm not bothered in the least as I never really played on my phone anyway.

And nice photo!

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
Same here. Single core HTC EVO. It was choppy no matter what before. Now it's worse. I hoped "fix performance issues on some android devices" would help with the choppiness but it was way worse. Uninstalled after 5 mins. I've said it before but the EVO is choppy when just scrolling web pages so I didn't really expect it to play well. I'm not bummed about the money but I am a bit bummed about the ps3 lag. It looks so good but I'm going to have to stick to the iPad 2

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Is it just me or is the ball movement borderline floaty on Cirqus Voltaire? Can someone at FarSight please ask Bobby to tighten up the ball physics and possibly add a little speed to the Cirqus Voltaire table. Please...stay away from the floaty PHOF physics. :)

N

Nik Barbour

Is it just me or is the ball movement borderline floaty on Cirqus Voltaire? Can someone at FarSight please ask Bobby to tighten up the ball physics and possibly add a little speed to the Cirqus Voltaire table. Please...stay away from the floaty PHOF physics. :)

I thought this too. But was more concerned with performance issues at minute.

N

Nik Barbour

Yes, performance needs to be addressed as well, but this is a separate issue.

No worries, sorry mate! - I've listed both on the 1.0.6 bugs thread (and given you credit for the floaty physics first say)
Just had some more play time and would say there is nothing borderline about it though - the physics are definitely floaty on CV.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
No worries, sorry mate! - I've listed both on the 1.0.6 bugs thread (and given you credit for the floaty physics first say)
Just had some more play time and would say there is nothing borderline about it though - the physics are definitely floaty on CV.

Maybe I was being a little too nice about it, but yea, I feel the same way. The physics on CV are definitely the worst of the 8 released tables. I hope Bobby can get this corrected sooner rather than later.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Do they seem quite a bit different from the 360 video?

Not really, I was trying to give FarSight the benefit of the doubt that YouTube limiting videos to 30 fps was what was making the ball look floaty, but unfortunately, it really does feel that way when you play the table, at least on Android. Playing CV made me have a PHOF flashback which is not a good thing. :)

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, all I can go buy is the 360 video for now, and it definitely looks a bit off....maybe the table slope needs increased a little?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts