So now we can play background music... atmosphere for TPA!

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Step 1: Go here, hit up the Downloads section, download any (or all) of the ambient arcade sounds.
Step 2: Import them into iTunes and transfer then to your iPhone/iPad/iWhatever.
Step 3: Download a free app on your device called "EQ Player". If you're using an iPad, it'll be under the "iPhone apps" section.
Step 4: Open EQ Player, create a playlist and add any or all of the arcade sounds MP3s. Play one of them, adjust the EQ to your liking then open TPA.

Voila! You now have some arcade ambiance while copping insults from Centaur or destroying another castle :) The EQ player is needed because with the regular iOS music player, it doesn't have a discreet volume control, so you can't balance the volume of it with the TPA volume. If you don't know how EQs work, you can adjust each frequency (or all of them, for an overall lower volume) whilst not touching the iOS system-wide volume.

This is the setting I use (I actually use another EQ app that I paid for, but the above is free):
2EsP3MPm.png

I find it's best to try and emulate how you'd hear sounds at an arcade if you were playing another game yourself, so I backed off the top-end and bottom-end to give the feel of games at least some short distance away... but tinker with it however you want. Enjoy!

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
Sorry, but what exactly does this do? Better sound quality? If that's the case this is great! The sample rate for iOS is compressed and no good!

Last edited:
N

netizen

Sorry, but what exactly does this do? Better sound quality? If that's the case this is great! The sample rate for so is compressed and no good!

Step 1 is to download mp3 files of arcade ambience
step 2-4 is to show a way to play them in the background on iOS and how to use an eq to adjust the aural field to give an illusion that the sounds are at a distance to maybe help immerse yourself in the gaming experience.

What this won't do: improve the quality of the samples from TPA

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
Step 1 is to download mp3 files of arcade ambience
step 2-4 is to show a way to play them in the background on iOS and how to use an eq to adjust the aural field to give an illusion that the sounds are at a distance to maybe help immerse yourself in the gaming experience.

What this won't do: improve the quality of the samples from TPA

How can i get good quality sound for iOS? Like say, i can mute the actual in-game sound, an play all the sound from a separate app in the background..

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
How can i get good quality sound for iOS?
For the pinball tables? You can't. What the game provides is as good as we're going to get. I mentioned this previously but I believe that the sound quality is likely not very high on the list for TPA. The goal is to the the ball physics, motion and gameplay running at top performance. Upping the sound quality (increase sample rate) will just likely detract from the performance and make the app & tables much larger in size.

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
For the pinball tables? You can't. What the game provides is as good as we're going to get. I mentioned this previously but I believe that the sound quality is likely not very high on the list for TPA. The goal is to the the ball physics, motion and gameplay running at top performance. Upping the sound quality (increase sample rate) will just likely detract from the performance and make the app & tables much larger in size.
True, but it should be optional for better sound. I'm paying for the tables, yet I'm getting an inferior product. Other platforms have better sound, same price... Silly.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Apologies, I thought it was obvious what I was referring to in the original post. I honestly don't play without it anymore and even do it when playing on the PC version. It does have the benefit of taking attention away from the lower sound quality of the iOS sounds (personally, anyway) and it gives off a nice arcade ambiance :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
This is an excellent idea, Shaneus. I'll have to break up my Hendrix with a little arcade atmosphere. :)

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
MAKE SURE YOU PLAY THE RIGHT ERA MP3 FOR THE TABLE YOU'RE PLAYING OR YOU'LL RUIN IT.

;)

Spending time EQing it is worthwhile also. If you can get just the right balance where the pinball is only slightly louder and clearer than everything else, it's actually a good effect and the TPA sounds have a fair bit of their harshness dulled.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.