Pt.1 - 35 Movies That Deserve More Praise

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It’s essay time. Fear not, I'm breaking it up into 7 installments spread out over a few weeks time. Depending on how the discussion goes here, it might spill over into the podcast. So please, discuss! (hint, hint)

I was reading an article in Entertainment Weekly where movies were being recommended to a 17 year old actress by 2 actors in their 40’s. I thought, “hey I’m in my 40’s, I wonder if I’d suggest the same flicks”. Nope. As usual, the list was completely pretentious and full of stuff I would have no interest in, nor would any normal 17 year old. So it got me thinking, what are films I’d recommend? Films the actors in the article might roll their eyes at the same way I did to them?

To the DVD rack I went, and I started jotting down titles. It’s not like my movie collection is filled with obscure stuff, but I do have movies I think fall through the cracks of people’s memories. Movies that if mentioned in conversations are either greeted with, “oh I remember that one; it’s really good” or “no, never bothered or heard of that one”. Some of these in fact I have mentioned in casual conversation with twenty somethings and was greeted with a blank look, like they had no idea what I was talking about. Stupid generation gaps.

Anyway, play along, feel free to rip into me, or vociferously agree. Better yet, watch ‘em for yourself if you too are glazing over wondering what the hell I’m talking about.

HAR HAR HARDY HAR

Humor is so subjective, that once you move away from the heavyweights, all bets are off. I personally like a movie that I can quote. I also enjoy absurdity. Most importantly, I like a comedy that can make me laugh no matter how many times I’ve seen it. The problem is that what might be funny to me could be completely offensive to you. In my own home, I adore Monty Python while my wife finds them painfully unfunny. No accounting for taste.

Clerks – 1994

I know, who hasn’t seen this, right? Right? Apparently a lot of people. I have a t-shirt that features a pic of Olaf and the word ‘BERZERKER’ under it and am greeted by an overwhelming majority of people having no clue what it’s from. The humanity.

I get it though. Clerks is a dialogue movie featuring 20 somethings. It barely has any camera work to speak of, there are no elaborate set ups, it is in black and white. That’s a lot going against it. What is does have is some of the most quotable dialogue ever. If you have ever worked a retail job, this movie should speak to you on a personal level.

In fact, I was working retail when I saw it. I proceeded to tell the entire movie to one of my co-workers in such detail, that when they saw it for themselves they felt like they’d already seen it. That co-worker happened to be Andrea, who I’d later date and get married to, but not until after we stopped working together. So yeah, bit of a sentimental favorite here.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World – 2010

On the complete opposite spectrum of the comedy world from Clerks, there’s this. It is high concept all the way. The visuals are fantastic, you have to have some old school gaming in your past to get many of the references, the humor is fairly deadpan, and it has some fantastic fight sequences to boot. That being said, it’s already fading from people’s memory. Ten years from now it’ll be like Clerks.

Simply put, I fell in love with this movie about 5 minutes in. It’s not a gut buster, but you can’t help but have a smile on your face the entire time. This is from the same director that did Shawn of the Dead, another high concept comedy that isn’t punchline funny, but one people do still remember. So why Scott Pilgrim? Because it is smart and doesn’t pander for laughs. Every moment is earned, and the payoffs leave you feeling a bit giddy. It also has a killer soundtrack, but that’s beside the point.

When I saw this the theater was near empty except for an elderly couple. I thought for sure they had the wrong movie and expected them to get up and leave early on. They sat through the entire thing, credits and all. And they looked like they enjoyed it, so there.

Strange Brew – 1983

This is stupid comedy. Bob and Doug McKenzie pre-date Beavis and Butthead, Bill and Ted, Wayne and Garth, Harold and Kumar, but they are all cut from the same mold. Take two idiots, take away their main source of ‘entertainment’, and watch them outsmart everyone. My wife thinks it’s a moronic movie whenever I watch it, and then she promptly forgets about it. Silly wife.

It purposely starts out terrible, which is genius. It slowly works in the ridiculous, and then gleefully goes off the rails. There is a scene in a courtroom that used to send me and a friend of mine into fits of laughter to the point we’d have to pause the movie to recover.

Stupid humor has to be smart though. This movie adds joke upon joke, so that two punchlines get combined later to become yet another punchline. It is silly through and through, but I think most people ignore it because it looks like one of those terrible SNL movies that weren’t Wayne’s World. Wayne’s World wishes it was Strange Brew. So take off, eh.

Better Off Dead – 1985

This and One Crazy Summer are the poor man’s John Hughes movies. Similar themes with teens, finding love, and finding the better you, but they differ in the level of absurdity. There is nothing remotely real in the situations Better Off Dead approaches, and yet it works.

Think about this… the entire movie is about a guy trying to commit suicide over losing his girlfriend to a jock. Laughing yet? He always comes to his senses just before going through with it, only to have some outside force make him do it anyways. Amazingly, he always survives. If the gallows humor doesn’t win you over, fine. There’s also his clueless parents, his silent yet brilliant younger brother, a relentless paperboy, the creepy foreign exchange student hosts, drag racing with the least likely of racers, a stop motion hamburger that plays Van Halen, and a best friend that tries to get high on everything but drugs.

Again, I think this is a movie that gets overlooked in favor of the larger box office hits of the time like Sixteen Candles. I’ve never met anyone that didn’t like this movie though, and it is a perfect example of an 80’s movie done right.

Undercover Brother – 2002

This movie has so much fun with stereotypes, you start looking over your shoulder for the PC police to take you in for laughing. I don’t know what possessed me to see this in the theater, but I did. Right off the top, we see our hero in his car, doing a 360 ever so casually, and not spilling a drop of his orange soda. I nearly lost it because of the fact it was orange soda.

See, I worked at Raging Waters (a water park) for 2 summers as a cashier at the main burger concession stand. We didn’t sell a lot of orange soda, but when we did, 9 times out of 10 it was to a brotha’. Don’t you dare call me racist. Later the movie makes a joke of white people and their love for Mayo. Again, my work experience of those summers made me laugh hysterically. Stereotypes are what they are for a reason…there’s certain truth to them. Undercover Brother plays with them in many different ways, but never makes it feel like exploitation. Which is strangely odd, as it is really a send up of blacksploitation movies. It is not the hilarious homage that Black Dynamite is, but they are two sides of the same coin.

Oh, Neil Patrick Harris is in this one, and he kills it so hard. This was the start of his reemergence; he was still a few rolls away from becoming NPH. I’d also like to nominate the final bad guy death as brilliantly out of left field. Comedy shouldn’t be obvious or predictable. I really think this movie is easy to overlook, but doing so is to miss out on a truly funny film.

Next installment will be all about Heist and Con Game movies, a favorite genre of mine that gets little love. Keep your eyes peeled for it next week.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I have a great fondness for 80's comedies and you hit on two of my all time favorites.

Strange Brew is one of those movies that I reference that no one seems to get. How was it not more popular? Was it a hit in Canada? Maybe I live in the wrong country.

Better Off Dead is one of my all time favorites. I can't even guess how many times I've seen it. I own the DVD but still watch it every time I spot it on cable. This movie and Slap Shot are my two most watched movies, yet I spot something new every time I watch.
Nice list

N

netizen

Almost forgot about, if you enjoyed Black Dynamite you'll totally enjoy this non-PC film:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Almost forgot about, if you enjoyed Black Dynamite you'll totally enjoy this non-PC film:

I'm almost positive I've seen The Hebrew Hammer, but not 100% sure. Jewish humor I tend to be a bit 'meh' on, probably because I'm goyim. See what I did there? I know for a fact I saw The Hammer, which is Adam Carolla's boxer movie.

Speaking of non PC humor...in Better Off Dead there's this one, which would cause boycotts today...

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Y'know. I've honestly never seen Strange Brew. I know about Bob and Doug. I know about The Great White North. But I've never actually sat down and watched it.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Y'know. I've honestly never seen Strange Brew. I know about Bob and Doug. I know about The Great White North. But I've never actually sat down and watched it.

I've only watched it once - but it is funny!

I am a HUGE fan of both Clerks & Better Off Dead. John Cusack is one of my favorite actors and BOD is so silly and over the top that it just works.

As for Clerks - I fell in love the first time I saw it back in the day. My now wife is also a fan (one of the many reasons why I love her) and we actually went to the store where Clerks was filmed & had our pictures taken there.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'm a big John Cusack fan too. Just saw him in Frozen Ground on Netflix. Good, but creepy, movie. It's based on a true story.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
I am also a huge fan of 1980's comedy movies. I used to watch everything that came out on HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and USA network in the eighties. I really enjoyed movies like: Losin' It, Joysticks, Porky's, Animal House, DC Cab, Bachelor Party, Slap Shot, Revenge Of The Nerds etc... My younger brother could do a great impression of Jackie Gleason from Smokey and The Bandit and all the kids in my neighborhood would do the Eddie Murphy impressions from Delerious.

Eaton Beaver

Jan 25, 2014
Kolchak357 I even sat through Slap Shot 2 even though it stunk. I believe they made a 3rd one also called Slap Shot: Minor Leagues?

N

netizen

For some reason I remember Slap Shot 2 being somewhat on par with this Canadian "classic" about curling

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Here's the clip from Strange Brew that used to send me and my buddy into fits of laughter...

...taken out of context, not terribly funny. Within the movie though, it became our favorite joke.

I almost put Bachelor Party on the list, as I find that to be one of the best 'sex comedies' of the day. Mainly because it's actually funny. That and Revenge of the Nerds were way better than they had any right to be. I'd put Fast Times at Ridgemont High as the movie considered the obvious choice that would go on most people's list in this genre. That's just it though, I never found most T & A comedies to actually be funny. Porky's never made me laugh, nor did Hardbodies, Last American Virgin, My Tutor, or any of the other countless 'gotta lose my virginity' movies of the 80's. I'm not saying I didn't appreciate other certain aspects of those movies as I was a teenager with HBO in the house, but I always thought they were crap fests as actual movies. That's what makes Bachelor Party such a stand out.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Ask me anything about Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and I'd only be able to describe to you the Phoebe Cates sequence. In detail.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Sorry Shut, but every single movie you listed is beyond terrible. lol If you take out "Clerks", I'm surprised anyone even likes those.

I'm not a fan of "Clerks", but I know a ton of people love that movie. Why, I'll never know?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Clearly Dokken would never laugh at any of my jokes. Probably likes Family Guy better than South Park, too. The shame.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.