Pt.?? - 4 Terrible Movies I Admit To Recommending

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well after being accused of having rotten taste in movies because of my list of 35, I thought I'd share 5 that there is no defense for. These are spectacularly awful. Which is what makes them so fun to watch! Now and then a few of my friends will get together and torture each other with Bad Movie Night. It's essentially an excuse to crack each other up at the expense of a terrible movie. So these are so bad, they're good.

Torque In response to the success of The Fast and Furious, this movie was made but with motorcycles instead. It is bug nuts insane. I started watching it just to see how terrible it was, and I couldn't stop because just when I thought it couldn't get any more ludicrous, it did. It is 88 minutes of pure comedy. I'll give you a few examples...

Throughout the movie, you will see characters drinking. Not once do they ever set their drink down, instead it is always thrown. Always! There are no less than 15 shots of characters speaking in a reflection. It's supposed to look cool. I found it silly. You will also not see a movie that uses product more blatantly than during a climactic moment of the movie, when do people joust (!) on motorcycles, all the while there are these HUGE billboards for Pepsi and Mountain Dew behind them. It's also fun to watch as tires change during the same scene depending on what the terrain is. They go from road slicks to nobbies and it is so obvious. And then there's the ridiculous explosion from a bike, despite the tiny fuel tank.

Whenever I've shown the movie to people, they tear with laughter. It is a total drinking game movie. I also proudly own it because how could I not?

MegaForce This came out the same summer that Krull was out. Whereas that movie is just a stinking pile, MegaForce manages to be entertainingly bad. It is the unintentionally gayest movie ever. The lead is named Ace, and he wears a silver lamme skin tight jumpsuit with nothing more than cowboy boots, a utility belt, and a blue strip of cloth to keep his hair bouncy. The lead actress is hideous, and I can't figure who thought casting her as the attractive love interest was a good idea. The movie is about this elite force that drives around the dessert on flashy motorcycles, popping wheelies and shooting little rockets at balls flying through the air.

It truly defies description. The story makes zero sense, the humor is terrible, and the action appalling. But that's its charm too. My favorite part is when the elite force skydives into a combat zone, but takes the time to do aerial acrobatics. And then they set off colored flairs from their shoes, each a different color of the rainbow, so that it looks like the gay pride parade is coming in for a landing. Oh, and then there's this thing the lead does with kissing his thumb and pointing it at people. So weird.

Good luck finding the movie. I wound up downloading a torrent of it and burning it to DVD. So worth the hassle.

Sheena It's supposed to be a kids movie. So they cast Tanya Roberts to prance around in loin cloth. And have her get naked. In extended shots. Multiple times. And somehow it got a PG rating! Stupidity abounds in this movie, and yet it's played deadly serious. Spoiler alert...the bad guy gets taken out by a flock of killer flamingos. I kid you not.

WishCraft (sorry, but the only trailers I could find were in foreign dubs) A kid finds a dried up donkey dick that is supposed to grant whoever is in possession of it 3 wishes. Yeah, you read that right. The kid really wants to date this hot chick. Guess what he's using to make that wish come true! Oh, and there's a serial killer in a mask that is knocking off people. But never fear, because Meatloaf is the detective on the case. That creepy short chick from Poltergeist, Zelda Robinson, is in it too.

Full disclosure, I actually worked on this movie as a film loader. We couldn't believe how bad it was as we were making it. Seeing the finished product, well it was worse than we thought! It wanted to be a horror movie but also a romantic comedy. The serial killer has a burlap sack over his head with some electrical tape stuck to it to make a face. Oohhh, scary. And while you are made to believe the wishes are what is causing the killer to do his thing, they actually have nothing at all to do with each other. Truly one of the worst things I've ever worked on. Although I did do a day on Hot Wax Zombies On Wheels, so it has competition!

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Oh, knock it off! I was just giving you a hard time! lol

Well, there are plenty of bad/cheesy films I enjoy as well. A few that come to mind include:

- The Color of Night

- Tough Guys

- Striking Distance

- Any early film with Steven Seagal

- The Wraith

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Oh, knock it off! I was just giving you a hard time! lol

Well, there are plenty of bad/cheesy films I enjoy as well. A few that come to mind include:

- The Color of Night

- Tough Guys

- Striking Distance

- Any early film with Steven Seagal

- The Wraith

I've never seen The Color of Night. Tough Guys was pretty funny (you are talking about the train robbery one yes?) - and I love Striking Distance. I don't think those films are cheesy.

But...I also like both The Wraith & most of Seagal's early films. The cheese factor there is like 1000%

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I saw Color of Night in the theater just because I had a thing for Jane March. I don't think I could sit through any of those erotic thrillers again from back in the day. Even Basic Instinct. Boy, there's a genre that went belly up. I just watched Hard To Kill recently and it is quite comical. Was Striking Distance that Bruce Willis / Sarah Jessica Parker flick? I just remember that as being boring.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I saw Color of Night in the theater just because I had a thing for Jane March. I don't think I could sit through any of those erotic thrillers again from back in the day. Even Basic Instinct. Boy, there's a genre that went belly up. I just watched Hard To Kill recently and it is quite comical. Was Striking Distance that Bruce Willis / Sarah Jessica Parker flick? I just remember that as being boring.

You are correct about Striking Distance. I'm not sure what it is about the movie - but I like it.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I've never seen The Color of Night. Tough Guys was pretty funny (you are talking about the train robbery one yes?) - and I love Striking Distance. I don't think those films are cheesy.

But...I also like both The Wraith & most of Seagal's early films. The cheese factor there is like 1000%

Yeah, that's the correct "Tough Guys" I'm talking about. Personally, I think it's funny as hell, but I'm just trying to come up with goofy or cheesy movies, at least that seem to most people. I've let a ton of people borrow "Tough Guys", because it's one of those rare, good movies that most have never heard of, and just about everyone I lend it out to have hated it. lol

The Color of Night is totally ridiculous. lol You should definitely check it out. A lot of the stuff that happens is just so far fetched.

Yeah, she was a pretty hot babe. I LOVED the tank scene inthe bathtub. :p

Personally, I love those types of movies. I miss them to be honest. There wasn't a better man suited for those films than Michael Douglas. The guy was a trim magnet. lol

As for "Striking Distance", I loved it. A lot of the stuff that went on was just goofy, like the endlessly ridiculous "Police Taser attack in the river" ending. I still laugh at it to this day. I'm not sure how it was boring? If you want boring, watch "SuckerPunch". :p (Hey, at least Sarah Jessica Parker was an absolute babe. She's never looked better than in that movie, and to see her NOW is just sad.)

Now, the early Seagal films were not only funny as hell, but just watching him totally destroying someone could really brighten up a bad day. It's a shame what happened to him, as well.

Another Cheese Fest that comes to mind is "Over The Top". lol I still enjoy that movie.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
here's one for you all

EZ Money. so bad it's good.

Actual thing on a computer screen in this movie.

THIS COMPUTER HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION (WHICH IS PRETTY FUNNY CONSIDERING IT'S IN A POLICE STATION)....

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
here's one for you all

EZ Money. so bad it's good.

Actual thing on a computer screen in this movie.

THIS COMPUTER HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION (WHICH IS PRETTY FUNNY CONSIDERING IT'S IN A POLICE STATION)....

Now if you truly want awful - you want to watch Feeding The Masses. It's a E-level zombie film that was shot here in Rhode Island. I'm in it for about two seconds. It was fun filming it though.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Wow, sounds like I need to check out Torque.

Hey anyone remember the American Ninja movies from the 80’s? Loved them as a kid (especially the 2nd one), but they've got to be absolute garbage to revisit. Might be fun for the cheese factor though.

EDIT:

American Ninja 2 has a whopping 4.5 on imdb, hahahahaaaa....it kicked ass at the time though from my 3rd grader perspective!

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I don't think Bram Stoker's Dracula is terrible at all. At the time it came out, it was one of the better movies I saw, memory serves me. It is highly stylized, and that may not play well today, but at the time it was fantastic and original. Batman Returns had come out the same year, so comic book movies were still very much in their infancy for what was to come. The movie of Buffy the Vampire Slayer came out the same year, which was how the subject matter had been portrayed for years...as a joke. Sure we had The Lost Boys a few years earlier, but that too was played for laughs. Near Dark was great, but they never called them vampires, as that was kind of a no no. BSD kinda changed the landscape, ushered in a new era for these tales.

I think the biggest criticism tends to land at Keanu's feet. I get it, he was terrible in this. I like the guy, but you can't just plug him in to any role. He was perfect for Speed and The Matrix, he fits next to Swayze and Busy in Point Break, and I even like him in Constantine. It's when he has to do something other than be an action hero that he becomes laughable. Still, I don't think he ruins BSD. There was so much scene chewing up going on with Oldman and Hopkins, my enjoyment just kind of glossed over poor Keanu!

Just to give you an idea of other films that came out the same year...

Reservoir Dogs
A League of Their Own
Aladdin
Last of the Mohicans
Unforgiven
Alien 3
Basic Instinct
Wayne's World
A Few Good Men
Army of Darkness
Batman Returns
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Glengarry Glenn Ross
The Bodyguard
Patriot Games
Death Becomes Her
Lethal Weapon 3
Under Siege
White Men Can't Jump
The Crying Game
El Mariachi
Bad Lieutenant
Cool World
The Player
The Lawnmower Man

And that just scratches the surface. As you can see, BSD was actually quite the prestige picture at the time. Not a whole lot of genre pics going on.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Untitled65.png

...yes, I actually enjoy Bill and Ted :D

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I don't think Bram Stoker's Dracula is terrible at all. At the time it came out, it was one of the better movies I saw, memory serves me. It is highly stylized, and that may not play well today, but at the time it was fantastic and original.

I just watched it last week. Although I did like it when released, it REALLY didn't hold up.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I don't think Bram Stoker's Dracula is terrible at all. At the time it came out, it was one of the better movies I saw, memory serves me. It is highly stylized, and that may not play well today, but at the time it was fantastic and original. Batman Returns had come out the same year, so comic book movies were still very much in their infancy for what was to come.

I saw it again a few years ago. And even today, I don't know what to think about it: is this movie serious or willingly "over the top"? :p

For example, the exorcism scene misses the point IMO. It's supposed to be disturbing and scary, but it's almost... laughable. I remember I thought: "Is it a parody?"

Everything in the movie seems to lack of subtlety (acting, visuals, music). Yeah, it's the 90's style (your list shows it well), and Dracula is a theme still very difficult to adapt in movie (today's "vampire" movies are way way worse :rolleyes:).

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Everything in the movie seems to lack of subtlety (acting, visuals, music). Yeah, it's the 90's style (your list shows it well), and Dracula is a theme still very difficult to adapt in movie (today's "vampire" movies are way way worse :rolleyes:).

Oh, there is nothing subtle about it at all! This was Coppola going nuts. And no, it was never scary which was a prime complaint at the time. Still, give it credit for at least being hard R. Horror was gasping for air. When Hellraiser 3 is one of your only options for the genre, times are tough! This spawned a wave after it. This is why Mary Shelly's Frankenstein happened. You wanna talk bad, there ya go.

It is very much a movie if it's time. Taken out if context, most of the movies on that list don't play well. Batman Returns was genius back then, and now is just weird compared to Nolan's version. Basic Instinct is pure camp, yet it propelled the sexual thriller into a bona fide genre that lasted another 4-6 years. I just think there's a difference between being a bad movie as compared to not aging well.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I think the biggest criticism tends to land at Keanu's feet. I get it, he was terrible in this. I like the guy, but you can't just plug him in to any role. He was perfect for Speed and The Matrix, he fits next to Swayze and Busy in Point Break, and I even like him in Constantine. It's when he has to do something other than be an action hero that he becomes laughable.

I agree, to an extent.

I thought he was GREAT in "The Watcher". Sadly, the movie isn't well known.

Just to give you an idea of other films that came out the same year...

Reservoir Dogs
A League of Their Own
Aladdin
Unforgiven
Basic Instinct
Wayne's World
A Few Good Men
Batman Returns
The Bodyguard
Patriot Games
Under Siege
White Men Can't Jump

And that just scratches the surface. As you can see, BSD was actually quite the prestige picture at the time. Not a whole lot of genre pics going on.

ALL great movies, and ALL a 100x better than BSD. lol

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
It is very much a movie if it's time.

Totally agree with that.

Taken out if context, most of the movies on that list don't play well. Batman Returns was genius back then, and now is just weird compared to Nolan's version.

Errr, well, no. ^^ I'm huge fan of Tim Burton until Charlie's and the Chocolate Factory (what a disappointment, nowadays, he makes movies for his children -_-).
The two Burton's Batman are still masterpieces for me: Burton's visuals + Elfman music + Batman universe = jackpot. That's what was good with Burton in good old days: at first, it appears childish, but it's just the subtle balance between Burton's style and the darkness of Batman universe.

I didn't like at all Batman Begins (looks like a TV show), and Dark Knight was OK (because mainly of you know who...). Didn't see the others coming after.

I'm agree with all the stuff in this video (particularly at 3'01). And he doesn't even compare the music!

This intro sequence always give me goose bumps. So perfect (with the catchy main theme coming right after that).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkoi4z_dQso

Just wow, 23 years later.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
ALL great movies, and ALL a 100x better than BSD. lol

A League of Their Own and The Bodyguard...nope. No way. Nuh uh. Nyet.

The two Burton's Batman are still masterpieces for me: Burton's visuals + Elfman music + Batman universe = jackpot. That's what was good with Burton in good old days: at first, it appears childish, but it's just the subtle balance between Burton's style and the darkness of Batman universe.

I should clarify. I do actually like Burton's Batman films, as they embrace the look of comic books and the kind if universe that exists. They weren't pretending to be a part of our reality. That being said, I love what X-Men did to change comic book movies, and because of that we have the Marvel movies of today instead of crap like Roger Corman's Fantastic Four or that Spawn movie.

And hey, Danny Elfman's music, especially his Batman theme, make anything better.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.