who doesnt want free credits?!?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
im sure most by now will jave lostened to the podcasts and know an orignal sony drsign is coming on a free to play model.

if i can get free credits via replay im all in

candy crush can liss off

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
What a load of crap.....putting the table on a pay per play model? With all the loyal TPA customers they are going to pull this now. What happens if it's successful? Season 5 comes out on the same platform???

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I suggest you wait until it is released before you get all worked up. There may be an unlimited credit purchase option or you might be able to win credits easily.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
They have to monetize this app somehow! And in today's market, there are two ways to go with this:

1. Make it a pure "premium" app and charge a premium price for unlimited access. Obviously different companies have different ideas about what pricepoint "premium" comes in at, but typically, if you pay for an app and get unlimited access to all of its features right off the bat, it can be considered "premium".

2. The "freemium" model whereby you don't pay for the basic app, but pay for extras. Depending on the nature of the app, some of those extras may also accumulate with the passage of time, or through giveaways, or just by pure luck. Not all apps will do this - TPA doesn't, for example. The Simpsons Tapped Out does (being the "freemium" app I am perhaps most overly familiar with).

Given the existing freemium nature of TPA, it stands to reason that the new table will also follow this model. Since the table itself is the app - unlike in TPA, where the tables themselves are the "freemium" content - they can't charge you for the table. So logically, it makes sense to charge you for "credits" to play the game, with probably some reasonable accumulation of credits over time. (1 free credit for every 20 minutes, say.) This is essentially the same as the Candy Crush model.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
What a load of crap.....putting the table on a pay per play model? With all the loyal TPA customers they are going to pull this now. What happens if it's successful? Season 5 comes out on the same platform???

Don't get up in arms...yet. FarSight is trying to capitalize on the mobile market without pissing off all the people that currently own TPA. Or would you like them to experiment with pay to play within the app itself?

So here's the deal. They have plans to do single app releases of Twilight Zone and ST:TNG where the game is free, but you are on a token system. So yes, you will have limited plays and the probable opportunity to "buy" more tokens. No doubt, there will be plenty of people that spend more buying tokens than if they had just purchased the table in the TPA app. Hey, a sucker born, right?

This new table that FS is doing, does it really deserve to be in TPA? I mean, it is not a real table, which is what is exclusively in TPA, so it's not like a broken promise or anything. They aren't sacrificing one of the 10 tables of a season to make room for this one, so effectively it doesn't hurt the TPA player in the least. More importantly, if they find success with this new type of app, maybe it will pay dividends for the TPA game...like a way to cover licensing costs so we don't have to have kickstarters? Just sayin'.

All that being said, I won't be happy if a pay to play system works its way into TPA proper. If I buy a game, I buy a game. If certain functionality suddenly is tied into pay to play, that will not sit well. So just be happy they are doing something outside the game.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I think that's an outstanding idea! IAPs can be cash cows.

I wonder if it would have something to do with the licensing agreement?

Last edited:

W1LDD ONE

Jul 21, 2013
I hope it's not based on a credit system.
That just sucks period!
Whether it's slots or whatever I'am not paying a freakin cent to play if I pay.
Garbage idea even though there's tons of suckers who pay to play a lot of crap on the internet daily.
I'll be damned if I'am one of them!

Moving on.........NEXT!!!!

Last edited:

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
I hope it's not based on a credit system.
That just sucks period!
Whether it's slots or whatever I'am not paying a freakin cent to play if I pay.
Garbage idea even though there's tons of suckers who pay to play a lot of crap on the internet daily.
I'll be damned if I'am one of them!

Moving on.........NEXT!!!!

+1

Disgusting idea

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Again, this would be targeting a different audience than us. Think about it...you already probably own the season. And as for the original creation table, well they have no way of doing IAP on consoles or on Steam. So quit thinking of it as a TPA table, and more as a new app from FarSight. Like Orbals.

On second thought...

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i get the negativity i had it too, but if theres one major feature missing from tpa is replays and free games that work, for me i think of the new orginal table as a way to casualky experience that, tho if it doesnt include such a feature im out too

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Hmm.

Personally I think free to play is a curse on the gaming industry, so I don't like this.

If it is free to play, you can be an "unlimited credits" option will be around £70.

The western world wants everything for free and as a result, those that are happy to pay have to pay through the nose. A game should be priced to OWN it at what it's worth.

Sorry, I hate free to play.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
well by and large i do agree, hearthstone seem to have the best iap system ive seen, if the system gives ten free plays olus whatever you earn in free games and replays i think they could really be onto something but that the key feature for me free plays replays and specials oh my!

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Don't get up in arms...yet. FarSight is trying to capitalize on the mobile market without pissing off all the people that currently own TPA. Or would you like them to experiment with pay to play within the app itself?

So here's the deal. They have plans to do single app releases of Twilight Zone and ST:TNG where the game is free, but you are on a token system. So yes, you will have limited plays and the probable opportunity to "buy" more tokens. No doubt, there will be plenty of people that spend more buying tokens than if they had just purchased the table in the TPA app. Hey, a sucker born, right?

This new table that FS is doing, does it really deserve to be in TPA? I mean, it is not a real table, which is what is exclusively in TPA, so it's not like a broken promise or anything. They aren't sacrificing one of the 10 tables of a season to make room for this one, so effectively it doesn't hurt the TPA player in the least. More importantly, if they find success with this new type of app, maybe it will pay dividends for the TPA game...like a way to cover licensing costs so we don't have to have kickstarters? Just sayin'.

All that being said, I won't be happy if a pay to play system works its way into TPA proper. If I buy a game, I buy a game. If certain functionality suddenly is tied into pay to play, that will not sit well. So just be happy they are doing something outside the game.

Very well said! I stand corrected! Thank you.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Hmm.

Personally I think free to play is a curse on the gaming industry, so I don't like this.

If it is free to play, you can be an "unlimited credits" option will be around £70.

The western world wants everything for free and as a result, those that are happy to pay have to pay through the nose. A game should be priced to OWN it at what it's worth.

Sorry, I hate free to play.

I agree. I have no problem buying an app but it does seem that everyone expects everything for free. So, in those cases they get what they deserve when they end up spending 100's of times what they would have paid if they just bought the app in the first place buying credits.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I don't see a reason to be upset by this only if:

- Freemium concerns the modded tables (it seems to be the case) and not the regular tables.
- The modded tables are free (pay for a freemium table? NO!)
- Tokens can be win on regular TPA tables (via a tournament, challenge, etc) or by scoring great on a table (that will give a point to the weekly and monthly leaderboards).

Whatever, this freemium model will only be on mobile devices and PC, not on consoles (and I play only on the PS3 version :p).

Last edited:

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I don't see a reason to be upset by this only if:

- Freemium concerns the modded tables (it seems to be the case) and not the regular tables.
- The modded tables are free (pay for a freemium table? NO!)
- Tokens can be win on regular TPA tables (via a tournament, challenge, etc) or by scoring great on a table (that will give a point to the weekly and monthly leaderboards).

Whatever, this freemium model will only be on mobile devices and PC, not on consoles (and I play only on the PS3 version :p).

This sounds like it's probably exactly what it's going to be. Although you maybe could add "free" apps of ST:TNG and TZ.

Didn't PHoF have a token system? I remember playing it on my PSP and having a ton of tokens. I doubt it would be all that hard to build up tokens to play these tables for those of us who play daily.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
This will be a standalone app. It won't be attached to TPA. TPA might have a splash screen advertising it for the first month much like they're doing with the KS this month, but that'll be it as far as affecting TPA goes.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Wait.....this is all news to me. Someone explain it to me like I'm an idiot (which I am).

I however can say for certain that I hate " free to play " games where you have to buy gems or something to play unlimited. I want unlimited pay for a price. I will not settle for anything less.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014

+1

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts