Nudge - Analog vs Digital fair?

Pantah010

Jan 31, 2013
Hi, I realy would like to see a extra option to the digital nudge, so you can set sensitivety.
This becouse i play with digital nudge, and every nudge = 100% power, 2 or 3 of these and TILT!
A option to set the digital nudge power in a % scale would be perfect or simple 3 step "hard-medium-soft".

Please make this posible, its so unforgiving with digital nudge... :(

Greets OneCredit :cool:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
perhaps an easy way to adjust digital nudging would be to have two settings.. a light nudge for a tap of a nudge key..and a 100% power nudge if you hold the key for longer.

Xenonite

Oct 7, 2014
The only problem with that is if you make the "time for 100% power" time too long, by the time that time expires, it's too late to do anything about a now-draining ball.

Maybe like 0.5s or something? I don't know how long normal keypresses are to begin with...

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
The only problem with that is if you make the "time for 100% power" time too long, by the time that time expires, it's too late to do anything about a now-draining ball.

Maybe like 0.5s or something? I don't know how long normal keypresses are to begin with...

i think the one of the ways you could do it is as a two part nudge
part 1 starts pretty close to your input of the key(or as close as possible)..starts the light nudge..if the key is released before it completes the routine(light shake) it exits out of the routine and ends..if the input key is still held(you get the idea) it continues into part two of the nudge..which gives it full strength.

latency and time are the issues sure..if the small nudge is a .2 second action and the quickest release of a button you hit that the system can register is .3 seconds you'd need the nudge routine to delay starting for .1 or .2 later seconds to ensure it can register the release before starting part 2 of the routine.

but what do i know..armchair quarterbacking and all :rolleyes: in my head it sounds like totally doable thing :cool:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I have little issue with digital nudge.

The main problem is because of how it's calibrated, analog nudge can be used to get away with a LOT more abuse if you are good with it. But usually you only need ONE digital nudge within a short period of time. i rarely get a warning and NEVER tilt.

Xenonite

Oct 7, 2014
I have little issue with digital nudge.

The main problem is because of how it's calibrated, analog nudge can be used to get away with a LOT more abuse if you are good with it. But usually you only need ONE digital nudge within a short period of time. i rarely get a warning and NEVER tilt.

how on earth are you nudging? I must be doing it wrong, because I can't save the ball with just a single digital nudge in any table. I can do it with 2 consecutive (one warning) in CFBTL, and I've gotten lucky on STTNG and done 3 consecutive (two warnings/double danger), but I've never been able to do this in any other table (TZ... cough, cough), unless the ball is still "deciding" because it's right on top of the peg.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Well i usually use my nudges to sap save on PC. press the nudge and the flipper near the ball at the same time to catch the ball with the swing.

For outlanes, it's hard to judge, but if it touches the post and looks like it will drain a quick nudge straight up will usually save the ball.

It is my opinion that for any drain situation there is a direction and timing where one digital nudge will save you. the tricky part is figuring out what they are.

Xenonite

Oct 7, 2014
Is the up nudge effecive on its own or do i have to use side nudge too? Because I generally exclusively use side nudging...

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
up nudge is effective on saving balls headed for the outlane by knocking it into the top of the sling or the divider. on angles where it does nothing a down or side nudge will do better. the trick is figuring out which to use.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
or maybe I was over thinking things. Perhaps the best way would to simply add a new mappable button that when pressed in conjunction with the nudge buttons allowed for a strong nudge and the default of the existing were a light nudge or visa versa
might be easier to implement.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Or they could make their already existing analogue nudge configurable (which is like 2 lines of code and a slider image for the ui).
And they should just support EVERY HUID generic gamepad device. There are lot of controllers with acellerometer out there and a lot of cabs have one.

No I have to fake a X360 controller for TPA to accept it and manually adjust the sensitivity via directinput.

Last edited:

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Hi, I realy would like to see a extra option to the digital nudge, so you can set sensitivety.
This becouse i play with digital nudge, and every nudge = 100% power, 2 or 3 of these and TILT!
A option to set the digital nudge power in a % scale would be perfect or simple 3 step "hard-medium-soft".

Please make this posible, its so unforgiving with digital nudge... :(

Greets OneCredit :cool:

An Xbox 360 controller will solve that dilemma for you. The default nudging trigger is the left thumbstick, which is analog.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
I use something similar to an Xbox controller Power A and the nudge is real powerful on it as well. Would love to see way more options for controller settings myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.