Farsight, pleas fix cab licensing issues --> Zen Fx2 role model

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I just can't accept that Farsight is gonna let the whole cab support go, because of licensing issues that arose wit the stern deal.
It was sort of confirmed that stern is planning to sell their own line of v-cabs for commercial and or private use.

I still can't believe that private cabs will influence this business very much.
There will be people who will buy the plug and play 8K-ish stern v-cab an be happy with it.
And others who build their cab DIY style and always want to mod and expand.

For the way to handle the licensing / legal stuff look at Zen FX2 as the perfect example:
To enable cab support you have to send them a pic of your private cab setup and declare that you use it in a non-commercial way only.
Really nice approach, and maybe you can even make this a little more legally compliant.

I really hope that Farsight is at least trying to work something out to allow private use of their cab functionalities...

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
yeah, its only for new users who install for the first time... so potential arcade owners who did't have a private license before.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
not sure of the issues surrounding withdrawal of cab support, but I'd have no issues if Farsight said, Look, we can provide a cab support but because of licensing and a difference in set up etc etc, the cab support tables will be a different purchase to the normal tables. There's obviously a fair amount of work involved, and the tables they have made already weren't designed with cabs in mind, so to me, if it meant the difference in having them or not due to licensing and or costs etc, I'd be ok with that. That way, a percentage of the table costs goes back to the licensee. (Think that's how it works). A bit like when you buy a record...er, I mean a cd :) and part of the money...in fact pretty much all of it...goes to the record company.

I agree...I don't think there is any threat from cab owners affecting any kind of commercial sales. Though to be honest, if I wanted to visit the arcades to play pinball...I'd be expecting the real deal. As much as I enjoy digital, it doesn't beat the real thing.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
They could also exclude Stern licences from cab support, or tables still in production, etc.

I have said it before and will say it again.... For a pinball sim to not support cabinets is like a driving sim not supporting a cab setup with wheel, gear stick, pedals and multi-monitors. Such a driving sim would be a almost laughable, and probably 'the only one in the village'.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
They set out to build the best pinball simulation available. Somewhere along the way greed stepped in. It is not about pinball anymore. It is about the Benjamin's, nothing else. Really sad.

pureinstinct93

Nov 25, 2015
I just can't accept that Farsight is gonna let the whole cab support go, because of licensing issues that arose wit the stern deal.
It was sort of confirmed that stern is planning to sell their own line of v-cabs for commercial and or private use.

I still can't believe that private cabs will influence this business very much.
There will be people who will by the plug and play 8K-ish stern v-cab an be happy with it.
And others who build their cab DIY style and always want to mod and expand.
QUOTE]

Can anyone provide any sources for Stern's intent to build virtual cabinets? I am very interested in learning more about this development!

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts