Android - Request "Save Games" Google I/O Announcement for Google Play Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2014/06/google-io-and-games.html

So back when Google Play Games framework launched, they had cloud save enabled. "Save Games" takes this one step further.

If there was ever a time to implement GPG support in The Pinball Arcade, it is *now*.

Incidentally, Zen Studios is deprecating Swarm support and baking in Google Play Games support. So the competition just got deeper social integration into their product, with shareable goals, among a host of other marketing alignment in Google Play Games.

Yes, I know that FarSight is going through a "transitional period" at the moment with mobile staff. Spending the time to code this feature into the current app would be time well spent.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Official response:

Thanks Jared! I was just looking into this actually, I'm going to make sure the Design team takes a look at this, people have been waiting for these features for awhile.

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
Resuscitating an old thread...

I am using the LPX13D Lollipop Dev build on a couple of Nexus devices, and the new SELinux stuff has made things considerably more difficult to transport my "Saved_data" files between devices (and write them to the /data directory). I have a feeling when the official Lollipop builds go out that there will be more methods to do so...but in the meantime having some sort of accessible means of transporting the save files (or cloud/GPG storage) would be very dreamy.

Thanks!
Eckless

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Resuscitating an old thread...

I am using the LPX13D Lollipop Dev build on a couple of Nexus devices, and the new SELinux stuff has made things considerably more difficult to transport my "Saved_data" files between devices (and write them to the /data directory). I have a feeling when the official Lollipop builds go out that there will be more methods to do so...but in the meantime having some sort of accessible means of transporting the save files (or cloud/GPG storage) would be very dreamy.

Thanks!
Eckless
If it's any consolation, I have been emailing support@ pretty regularly with ways they can implement the saved_data features we all need.

My latest email I sent about making TPA a back-up target using the Android system back-up method (not GPG cloud save) is a less-robust way of managing the saved_data (because you can't call the service on-demand), but it would at least back up your saved data every 12 - 24 hours or so.

I even emailed support@ the Android Developer docs on the feature so they know exactly what I am suggesting. I think we need to start emailing the support@ address more with requests like this. The more people emailing in about the same feature (even emailing again to follow-up with "any more news about this saved_data stuff") will start pushing it up the list.

I know folks are getting tired of doing it, thinking it is falling on deaf ears. But I know our requests are not going into a black hole.

The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Oil...

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
This is what I emailed to the support team:

Hi there support team!

In my relentless pursuit to get saved_data synchronized with other owned devices, I came across*http://developer.android.com/guide/t...ta/backup.html

As far as I can tell, this native function is not configured in the TPA Android build. This solution may be a good stopgap to consider while GPG support is being negotiated (or vetoed). It should not be considered a replacement for GPG Cloud Save, because the service is not able to be called "on demand".*

Most Android users opt to have their Android App state data backed up when they set their device up. Implementing this solution would at least prevent folks losing all their achievements when they have to factory reset their device, or transfer the game onto another device (for example, when a user upgrades from a phone to a tablet)

I think if you made a point in the What's New section that this is how your game achievements are synchronized, folks could then opt into the service if they haven't already done so.

I would think a sync every 12hrs would be perfectly acceptable, and should capture most events where folks earn a new Standard or Wizard goal during the course of play.

I opened*http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...e-to-GPG-Cloud-Save-Support-(as-a-stopgap)*to publicly record this feature request.

And this is the response I received:

Hey Jared! Just wanted to let you know I've been forwarding this stuff to the Android programmers and Design Leads, I hope we can get all of this into our game in the near future!! :)

It's not a concrete "we'll do this within x months" but it's better than nothing.

Mapa

May 16, 2012
Let's keep our fingers crossed...

I am looking to replace my Nexus 7 (2012) for a Nexus 9, but need to move my goals along :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.