Accuracy STTNG?

ClarkKent

Jul 21, 2013
Lately I tried the new DX11 beta but despite nicer lighting the physics is still strange compared to the real table. Mainly the ball seems to be slow, not as agile as in the real world. And second aiming seems to be much more difficult than on the real STTNG. The latest VP mod table is closer to the original than the TPA version, not to mention the better textures. Would really be nice if the accuracy would be higher!

hitman12

Jun 11, 2014
Agreed,some tables are perfect in terms of physics like TAF,but on some ball is too slow,problem is visible mostly on some of the older tables.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Most of the older tables tend to feel a bit "loose", if you will, seasons 3 and on have gotten considerably better though

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I would say that stating something like this in general is hard because the IRL tables are known to differ from each other too, sometimes very much so, depending on level of maintenance and specific setup (angle of playfield for example). I did a in-depth comparison a while back: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/3960-Side-by-side-comparison-with-a-real-table-(part-2)
Feel free to differ in opinion offcourse :)
And I also think that physics tuning has improved considerably with seasons 3 & 4

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I would say that stating something like this in general is hard because the IRL tables are known to differ from each other too, sometimes very much so, depending on level of maintenance and specific setup (angle of playfield for example). I did a in-depth comparison a while back: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/3960-Side-by-side-comparison-with-a-real-table-(part-2)]

Very true.

When High Speed came out on TPA I attended a show the weekend of release that had 3 High Speeds. All of the real-life tables played so slow compared to the speedy TPA version. I thought they got it wrong. Then I went to another show that had a very well maintained High Speed. World of difference.

It well maintained table still wasn't quite as fast as the TPA version, close, but comparatively played very different from the slow rollers at the first show I attended.

So the same tables can play differently on how they are maintained.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Very true.

When High Speed came out on TPA I attended a show the weekend of release that had 3 High Speeds. All of the real-life tables played so slow compared to the speedy TPA version. I thought they got it wrong. Then I went to another show that had a very well maintained High Speed. World of difference.

It well maintained table still wasn't quite as fast as the TPA version, close, but comparatively played very different from the slow rollers at the first show I attended.

So the same tables can play differently on how they are maintained.

Yep! An arcade I used to go to a lot, the table I played most was Corvette.

After a few weeks it got dirty, slowed down.

Then it was cleaned, and, BOOM! the table was fast.

I preferred it that way - more of a challenge, felt more like the "racing" game it was trying to be. For flow-oriented games like STTNG, HS, and Corvette, a clean playfield makes a world of difference.

karl

May 10, 2012
This so very true. I have sold many games that just did not feel right. Biggest disappointment..Medieval Madness. Played it a few times on location and loved it. Thought I had found my dream pin, since it had been clearcoated, etc but on that particular
pin fast was worse. Lots of air balls and it just did not feel right at all. Sometimes super clear coat can actually make it worse (most of the times it helps, though)

For the record. I have owned Star Trek TNG and my machine played very similar to tpa recreation. I actually think this is one of the better ones when it comes to physics from the first season. It is really hard to hit stuff on the real one also if it is set up steep and those outlanes are brutal and frustrating.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.