PC - Bug Black Screen on DX11

RuySan

Nov 30, 2017
Hi,

Ever since what was probably the last update of PA, i've got a black screen when launching the game in DX11 mode, which completely locks the computer and forces me to hard reset.

This happens when playing the game in my monitor native resolution (1920*1080). If i use any inferior resolution i can launch the game but then I have no sound, strange controls and weird camera problems.

I can also launch the game in 1080p if i force some frequency under 60hz in the nvidia settings, but then i also have the camera, sound and controls issues.

I opened a thread in the steam pages of the game, and also sent an email to Farsight's support, but i'm sharing this here just in case everyone has a solution.

I already updated the drivers, veryfied the integrity of PA files on steam, completely uninstalled (erasing any config and egistry file on the computer) and installed again. Problem persists.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Hi,

Ever since what was probably the last update of PA, i've got a black screen when launching the game in DX11 mode, which completely locks the computer and forces me to hard reset.

This happens when playing the game in my monitor native resolution (1920*1080). If i use any inferior resolution i can launch the game but then I have no sound, strange controls and weird camera problems.

I can also launch the game in 1080p if i force some frequency under 60hz in the nvidia settings, but then i also have the camera, sound and controls issues.

I opened a thread in the steam pages of the game, and also sent an email to Farsight's support, but i'm sharing this here just in case everyone has a solution.

I already updated the drivers, veryfied the integrity of PA files on steam, completely uninstalled (erasing any config and egistry file on the computer) and installed again. Problem persists.

What are your computer specs?

RuySan

Nov 30, 2017
some i5 processor
GTX 1060 6gb graphic card
SSD drive

Now i can play every now and then in windowed mode. But doing Alt+Enter to fullscreen will immediately do the same black screen issue. The weird thing is that sound keeps coming out, as if the game was launched and playi, but i can't even open the task manager. It's almost as if the monitor was dead.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Something to be aware of, if you're using an nVidia GPU and have just received the most recent Windows Creators' Update.

If you use DSR with any game to downscale a higher resolution (such as 3840x2160) to 1920x1080, you will need to do the following to make it work properly again - this applies to any games, not just TPA:
- Go to the nVidia control panel, select Adjust 3D Settings, select the Global Setting tab.
- In the DSR drop-down, de-select all the scaling options to turn off DSR; press Apply.
- Reboot.
- Go back into the nVidia control panel, and re-enable DSR by selecting the scaling options you want; press Apply.
- Reboot again.

I don't know if you are using DSR for TPA (I recommend it and it will work with your 1060 6Gb, since it works with mine!) but that might be something to look into.

RuySan

Nov 30, 2017
Something to be aware of, if you're using an nVidia GPU and have just received the most recent Windows Creators' Update.

If you use DSR with any game to downscale a higher resolution (such as 3840x2160) to 1920x1080, you will need to do the following to make it work properly again - this applies to any games, not just TPA:
- Go to the nVidia control panel, select Adjust 3D Settings, select the Global Setting tab.
- In the DSR drop-down, de-select all the scaling options to turn off DSR; press Apply.
- Reboot.
- Go back into the nVidia control panel, and re-enable DSR by selecting the scaling options you want; press Apply.
- Reboot again.

I don't know if you are using DSR for TPA (I recommend it and it will work with your 1060 6Gb, since it works with mine!) but that might be something to look into.

I'll try that latter, but since my monitor is 1080p, and TPA arcade settings are at 1080p, is there any reason for that to be messing up the game in fullscreen?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I can't think of any. For DX11 I assume you are setting the back-buffer size to 1920x1080 on the DX11 tab in settings.

I've never had any problems with black screens or needing to Alt+Enter to force full screen, either with my GTX760 or now my GTX1060. I use a rotated monitor in portrait resolution (1080x1920) with a DX11 back-buffer set to 2160x3840 for DSR.

I only have a single monitor. If you have multiple displays maybe that's a contributing factor.

RuySan

Nov 30, 2017
I can't think of any. For DX11 I assume you are setting the back-buffer size to 1920x1080 on the DX11 tab in settings.

I've never had any problems with black screens or needing to Alt+Enter to force full screen, either with my GTX760 or now my GTX1060. I use a rotated monitor in portrait resolution (1080x1920) with a DX11 back-buffer set to 2160x3840 for DSR.

I only have a single monitor. If you have multiple displays maybe that's a contributing factor.

I have a single monitor, sometimes i play portrait and other times landscape. There's no reason for the back buffer be anything other than 1920*1080, but i'll check that later.

RuySan

Nov 30, 2017
Checked and every DSR function in the Nvidia settings was already off, so it wasn't due to that.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Checked and every DSR function in the Nvidia settings was already off, so it wasn't due to that.

I've seen a similar issue when rotating back and forth but not changing the DX11 display setup. You could try deleting dx11 settings at, My Games\Pinball Arcade\dx11_settings.dat and then open the configuration utility to create a new setup.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts