Building a Custom Control Box

WxManBookie

Jul 8, 2016
I feel like I'm 3-4 years late to TPA, but better late than never. I've been playing pinball since I was knee high (35+ years ago), and sadly, only recently, got into competitive pinball. I discovered TPA last week purely by accident via Stern's website, and realized holy cow, there is a great opportunity here to practice on a huge assortment of pins, even if the physics is a bit wonky and untrue.

I had a choice of PS3, WiiU, PCs and my android as far as game investment, and felt that Steam offered the most portable solution (not to mention the summer discount).

I would like this to be a bit more realistic than using my keyboard, so I was wondering if anyone here had built a custom controller box? My searches here and online didn't turn up much, surprisingly, other than people building full on cabs for TPA and various other pinball simulators.

I have a spare iPac, a bunch of spare flipper buttons/leaf switches, microswitches, and a plunger just from maintaining real machines.

I have a series of questions regarding this:
1.) On Steam, the plunger is achieved by holding down the spacebar. I have yet to see how you can "cancel out" of a plunge. In otherwords, you realized you pulled back too far (skill shot, soft plunge, etc...) and want to "reset" the plunge. How can this be accomplished with a real plunger?

2.) Tilt bobs. TPA provides left, right and vertical nudging. How are folks accomplishing this in a semi-realistic sense?

3.) Force feedback. Not sure on this yet if it's even necessary, but what sort of options are out there for flipper feedback? How are they powered? (iPac or...)?

Thanks in advance!

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
The pincab people might be using this project for nudging, plunging and an expansion option to let feedback devices do their thing.

No one has tackled a realistic tilt-bob, pincab owners just let a real tilt-bob hang in there and a tilt is a tilt for them however you'll be making something many times lighter so I don't know if a real tilt-bob is the right choice.

Noticed there was someone playing TPA on youtube with their pincab using this controller, was a button launch game so it didnt showcase the plunger.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts