Buying a new PC to run DirectX 11 TPA - What specs do I need?

mewzard

Apr 18, 2015
Correct VSync is not switched on in the beta, either lock your monitor's refresh rate to 60Hz or (better) go to your GPU settings and switch on VSync for pinballarcadedx11.exe (note - this only works in fullscreen mode, use Alt+Enter to force fullscreen).

I've been looking around, but thus far been unable to find how to set things for individual programs (thus far, everything I've tried has been for broad settings). I seem to have got the V-sync to lock for the game at full screen, however, it seemed to have locked at 30FPS (a bit lower than I'd like naturally).

As for Refresh Rate, it seems to be set at 60Hz, but I don't know if there's something special I need to do to lock it at 60Hz (not sure if set at 60Hz is the same as locked at 60Hz).

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
SIg.h game is a slideshow for me. i'm using a hp amd laptop with integrated amd graphics, and it's a slideshow.

What's the cheapest laptop that will handle TPA DX11? normal TPA is fine?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Laptops with gaming power generally don't come cheap. And they don't qualifiy as laptop IMHO, except your lap is made of concrete.
Sorry, just no fan of gaming laptops

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Last edited:

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Honestly I'm not impressed by dx11 and I'm hesitating if I'll even use it. We'll see how it turns out, but as it's a port right now everything but the lighting is worse. Sound is worse, graphics are not as crisp as regular tpa and lots of new bugs. Maybe it's only me I don't know. I got it running now but as it seems now I think I'll be skipping dx11 anyway. Just don't expect too much.

Ok sorry I take some of that back. I was little quick to judge. I've managed to get everything looking crisp and clear like it's supposed to. (While running without any slowdowns of course).

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Ok sorry I take some of that back. I was little quick to judge. I've managed to get everything looking crisp and clear like it's supposed to. (While running without any slowdowns of course).

What settings did you use just out of curiosity

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
What settings did you use just out of curiosity

I don't know what changed the menu and tables at table selection to crisp, but for performance I dropped everything to lowest in dx11 settings and resolution from 1920x1080 to 1360x768 and what they do in this video beneath, and closed all other programs running.

HOWEVER the newest update that just came out on TPA seems to make everything perform better, I can use 1920x1080 (1360x768 looks weird now) and highest settings in dx11 settings without problems on almost all tables! Only CV seems to behave weirdly on highest settings!

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
So after a ton of research, I decided I couldn't afford to buy a new PC, and I'd have a stab at upgrading my 7 year old Dell Vostro 200 Slim Tower for a fraction of the price.

Huge gamble as have never replaced PC components before, and it's an ancient system.

Upgraded RAM from 2gb to 4gb (Motherboard can apparently only take 4gb) - Only cost £13.00 for 2 x 1gb and had 2 free slots.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Komputerbay...0+DDR2+667+(240+PIN)+DIMM+Desktop+Memory+CL+5

Upgraded graphics card - not much choice for a decent low profile slim one: Sapphire AMD Radeon R7 250 Graphics Card (1GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0) - Cost £68.98

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Ra...0+Graphics+Card+(1GB,+GDDR5,+PCI+Express+3.0)

Upgraded processor from a 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo to a 3.3GHz version - £16.98 from ebay UK (Item did come from Hong Kong) - best processor the motherboard can handle.

Upgraded 32 bit Windows 7 (Which in itself was an upgrade from Vista) to a 64 bit Windows 10 (Yes, I did double check and the processor can handle 64 bit) - Free upgrade

So total cost came to just under £100 (£98.96) - and it's now running maxed out settings at 1080p so really really pleased with the result.

Haven't done any tweaking what so ever yet - there is no lag at all with the camera at the highest setting, camera on the lowest setting does give some lag which I'll try and resolve, probably to do with the increased ball reflection or draw distance or something at a guess?

So for anyone on the fence about upgrading an older machine to play Direct X11, I would say go for it, much much cheaper then a new machine, and has given the machine a new lease of life!

Last edited:

pinballnoob

Jul 27, 2015
When I start getting the itch to build a new system I usually start looking here: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/computer-systems/gaming-pc/

I like their tier breakdown design with variable parts and whatnot. They have builds for all sorts of things at different price points. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there! I have no idea what it would take to max out PA on DX11. I built, roughly, a Tier 4 kind of power level computer, but last February, and I don't seem to notice any kind of performance issues. I usually buy my parts on holidays sales starting in November and ending in January, and build in February. From my experience I can usually shave off 1 to 2 hundred dollars sniping off the pieces I want when they hit an unusual sale price.

Edit: Oh nice, congrats on the upgrade working well.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
would a evga geforce gtx 570 classified run pba dx11 version?

Yes, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth - 4 generations of GPU back (5xx->6xx->7xx->9xx*->10xx). So don't expect great performance.

It's quite a way down this chart for example. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

* 8xx was a limited mobile-only set of GPUs that were nothing more than re-badged 7xx GPUs. It's as if they never really existed.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
The good thing is that the pba graphics engine is also at least 4 generations back, so you should be fine, at least at 1080p.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
there is a full free table with demos of the others so you can test if it runs to your satisfaction for free!

play

totan(free) and the table of the month for extended sessions see how it feels

use CV to test as heavy as the engine ever gets but some newer ones might be heavier but its my go to for system tests

leedavid2606

Jun 18, 2016
Thanks so much for replys will get it going in next couple days and post back with results I use to have a gtx 750ti 2gb but was a little bit overkill for pba and vp cheers for replys lads

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.