Cabinet mode table packs

Justin2097

Jul 2, 2013
Does anyone know, or can fs staff clearify, how table packs work with regard to cabinet mode?

I read cabinet mode will probably be a separate app, does this mean we'll have to buy the table packs again or will the purchases transfer over from the regular steam app?

I really want to start getting packs, but I'm really waiting for the cabinet version and don't want to have to buy them twice.

Thanks in advance.

Tin_Foil

Nov 1, 2013
Ditto on this. I can't justify the purchase of the same table twice on the same platform when cabinet mode is the only mode that really matters to me. Really hoping they roll this into the "Pro" modes of the tables to (a) give the pro modes more value and (b) prevent the release of yet another version of the tables to stop any market confusion from the general public.

Craig Booth

Feb 28, 2012
I would like this clarified also. I really want to purchase all the table packs now, but obviously don't want to purchase twice.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Good question. I assumed that cabinet mode would be an option included with the regular packs. I too would only like to play cabinet mode. Let us know, thanks!

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
I asked and asked the same question, to complete silence from FarSight Studios.
Others also were asking.

We finally got an answer from them that they can't answer that question right now.

Not the answer I wanted to hear, but at least it was an acknowledgement that the question is indeed being asked.
Now that the game has finally been released for PC, perhaps the fine folks at FarSight will make some business decisions that they can announce.

Check out this thread:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...!!-Just-purchased-a-new-monitor-for-THIS-GAME!

First response from anyone at FarSight to the question was in post # 56
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?p=110867#post110867

shimoda

Mar 14, 2013
We can't answer now is not good enough. It may not stifle sales much, but it will stifle some sales.

Justin2097

Jul 2, 2013
I'll have to wait for the cabinet version for purchases anyway now, cos my laptop just can't get a decent frame rate and my pincab isn't finished.

Not too much of a worry though, I still have the android version in the meantime.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Not even excited for the PC release. Glad others are, but means nothing to me without cabinet support. I am hoping for release by late Feb 2014, hopefully it doesn't take that long. Bummer.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
We can't answer now is not good enough. It may not stifle sales much, but it will stifle some sales.

Well it's as good an answer as you're going to get until they can answer. You want faster answers force them to go public, buy 51% of their stock and tell them what to do. They were plain in saying that it wouldn't be available at launch.

I don't know for sure but I can't imagine they would make them a separate purchase. Maybe you might need pro mode, which I'm cool with since that will give pro mode a great deal of value in my opinion (as in worth asking price to me).

Brian C Hayes

Jul 5, 2012
It will be here when it will be here ... You want to play now support the company and buy a season .... they look pretty damm good on portrait mode ... not perfect ... but a whole lot of fun ... some of the tables play really really well

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I will be holding off for the cabinet version as well. Hopefully TZ, ST:NG and T2 will transfer over at least.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I will be holding off for the cabinet version as well. Hopefully TZ, ST:NG and T2 will transfer over at least.

I am also holding off buying the season packs until there is a cab or portrait mode as that is the only way I play now. If I knew it was not going to be a separate product I would buy them now of course. Also a charged add-on to the current product would also be fine.

I did rotate my cabinets playfield desktop using nVidia and launched PA at 1080 x 1920 and although the view is squashed and at a funny angle the gameplay feel , physics, etc feel really nice. Plus the cabinets flipper feedback via an optocoupler and contactors adds a lot, so I can't wait for proper portrait and then cab stuff. Please before Xmas!

karl

May 10, 2012
There was some talk about them trying to find a way to do the cabinet build outside of Steam, so it could be that they are looking at options for that, but I can't see how they are gonna do that when Steam was considered the only option for the pc build in the first place (drm and all)

My guess is that it will be a separate Steam release and all of us who have already bought it on Steam will get it for a reduced price option, similar to the ps 3 owners upgrading to ps 4, but the cab version is bound to be more expensive to buy than just the regular pro version. Lots of more work for just a small % of us to be able to play this on a cabinet.

I am extremely happy that they are doing it at all and I have no problem with paying a bit extra for a 3 screen setup and as soon as they are able they will give us the details, I am sure

Tin_Foil

Nov 1, 2013
While I know you're just reporting what you've heard at this point, Karl, I very much hope that isn't how it is done -- at least not without a Steam option as well. I can't buy tables until I know FS plan... I just can't accept buying the tables twice on the same system when cab mode is what ultimately want anyway.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'll be pretty upset if they make it a seperate purchase altogether.
I'll accept it if it's part of pro mode, or a small extra premium or an unlockable package.

But seriously:

I've purchased 10 tables 4 times (as of the 15th of this month)
I've purchased the table packs after Monster Bash and up to Scared Stiff (including ST:TNG and TZ) 3 times
I've purchased the rest twice

Really, I'm not planning on buying extra copies of tables anymore. Just android and PC from here on.

I mean really, some screens need to be rotated, and the tables need to be rotated and cameras set to fill the screen.
It's not like they are pre-rendered and need to be drawn, it's all 3d assets that need a camera positioned properly. The menus need to be done once.

Also, The number of people that a portrait/cabinet mode would appeal to should not be underestimated. Anyone can rotate a monitor, most stands are detatchable in the worst case. I'm sure a lot of people can connect two monitors, using a small one as a backglass. I'm sure a decent chunk can fashion basic "pin" setups with some framing or whatever imaginative methods they want. The few that have full-fledged cabs shouldn't be the only ones playing on a full screen portrait mode.

Lobotomy

Jul 21, 2013
Also, The number of people that a portrait/cabinet mode would appeal to should not be underestimated. Anyone can rotate a monitor, most stands are detatchable in the worst case. I'm sure a lot of people can connect two monitors, using a small one as a backglass. I'm sure a decent chunk can fashion basic "pin" setups with some framing or whatever imaginative methods they want. The few that have full-fledged cabs shouldn't be the only ones playing on a full screen portrait mode.

I do agree with you on that one!, a lot of my friends who has played my cab went home and made a "good enough" setup with their monitors at home playing with their keyboard and two screens.
They would never be crazy(???)/skilled enough to build a cab, but they enjoy the rotated view a lot more then a desktop view.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
That's a really good point superballs, I'm also on a rotated/swiveled 2nd screen setup, this is my preferred VP mode of playing. It's not about owning a cabinet, it's about being able to play in full portrait-mode! I too would be really annoyed when they would make that a seperate buy, but I could live with only pro tables having the cabinet option.

karl

May 10, 2012
Superballs: I am talking about a de luxe Cabinet build with all the whistles and bells here, not just a portrait mode. There is a huge difference. Portrait will probably be part of the already released version. (I hope)

Charging extra for just portrait will not go down well, I agree and that should never happen.

I realize that portrait is not only for cabinet users and long ago that was the best even the (small) cabinet crowd could hope for but all that has changed lately with FS buying a full on cabinet (real dmd etc)

Btw, I completely understand that many of you will wait until you know what FS will do before buying the pc version and more waiting sucks, but they can't say what they don't know themselves yet. We will probably know soon enough what their plan is. (Their cabinet hasn't even arrived yet)

Sashh

Nov 4, 2013
New TPA player perspective: I bought T2 table because I love this game's physics and T2 table is awesome, but if cabinet/portrait mode is a part of pro or I would have to buy it again, I will be very reluctant to buy new tables again. Living in eastern Europe, 5€ is a lot o money and I can't justify to pay more for a feature that is included in all FX2's tables from the get-go. I don't mean to sound entitled, this is just the sad reality of situation: I want to play this game, but current widescreen 16:9 view is just wrong - that's not how pinball should be played IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.