Can anyone recommend a decent gamepad? Xbox 360 gamepad seems a bit crap.

DanielP

Nov 26, 2013
Hi folks,

I'm not a console gamer and so I don't often play gamepad-style games. I do have an Xbox 360 gamepad for my PC, but for pinball games its simply not up to scratch.

I'm a recent convert to using a gamepad on pinball having spent years playing virtual pinball on a keyboard in various formats. I figured out the best setup for a keyboard was (left flipper=left shift, right flipper=num pad zero, left shake=left alt, right shake=right arrow, space for shake up.) For those of you still using a keyboard, try that combination out - you'll never go back to the shift keys again.

But there's no denying that a gamepad has the analogue advantage, and as flippers on a pinball machine aren't massively different from the triggers on a gamepad, I've decided to give it a go as an alternative. The problem I've found is that the 360 controller has soft, mushy controls on its triggers and shoulder-buttons, and its awkward to reach the left stick when using the triggers. While I acknowledge the 360 controller is excellent as an all-round unit, the second-rate triggers just aren't good enough.

Has anyone found a controller with snappy, responsive triggers or shoulder-buttons that is fit for long play? If so, please share it with the rest of us!

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Well, any controller that you can connect to your computer can be used like an xbox controller via a program called xPadder, there is a free version online somewhere. If you want the updated version, though, you do have to pay for a license

Ton

Dec 10, 2013
In another thread I wrote:
"I have the Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad
http://gaming.logitech.com/nl-nl/pro...reless-gamepad
which works via bluetooth. It uses a very small receiver that is plugged-in in the usb port.
TPA detects it perfectly and it works fine. No detectable lag as far as I can judge. No wires !"

And imho the triggers are very responsive.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Hi folks,

I'm not a console gamer and so I don't often play gamepad-style games. I do have an Xbox 360 gamepad for my PC, but for pinball games its simply not up to scratch.

I'm a recent convert to using a gamepad on pinball having spent years playing virtual pinball on a keyboard in various formats. I figured out the best setup for a keyboard was (left flipper=left shift, right flipper=num pad zero, left shake=left alt, right shake=right arrow, space for shake up.) For those of you still using a keyboard, try that combination out - you'll never go back to the shift keys again.

But there's no denying that a gamepad has the analogue advantage, and as flippers on a pinball machine aren't massively different from the triggers on a gamepad, I've decided to give it a go as an alternative. The problem I've found is that the 360 controller has soft, mushy controls on its triggers and shoulder-buttons, and its awkward to reach the left stick when using the triggers. While I acknowledge the 360 controller is excellent as an all-round unit, the second-rate triggers just aren't good enough.

Has anyone found a controller with snappy, responsive triggers or shoulder-buttons that is fit for long play? If so, please share it with the rest of us!

While personally I like the 360 controller, I've been underwhelmed by most other gamepads.

For Keyboard Config though, try this:

FJ = Left/Right Flippers
RU = Left/Right Second Flipper Buttons
GH= Left/Right Nudge
Enter = Plunge
Space = Nudge Up
T = Nudge Down

I've been using this since Pro Pinball's TimeShock came out, and I currently use it for VP, FP and TPA (sometimes I have to edit scripts in VP thought as there are some hard coded keys for T sometimes).

Believe me, it's set up to be as comfortable as typing, if you have an ergo keyboard it's even better.

I can play for hours on end with no fatigue.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Maybe I use a funky keyboard configuration, but the most natural finger/hand placement had me using this configuration.

Left Main Flipper = Left Shift
Right Main Flipper = Right Shift

Left Alternate Flipper = A
Right Alternate Flipper - Apostrophe

Plunger = Enter

Nudge Left = Left Control
Nudge Right = Right Control

Nudge Up = Space

Here is a crude diagram I made showing the finger placement. With this setup, I never had to lift my fingers off the keyboard during play. I would push my keyboard back as far as I could to allow my arms to rest on my desk.

73NGlyr2

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Dualshock 3 controller paired to PC using Ds3Tool is the best option I've found, mainly because I hate XBox controllers.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I use Dualshock 4 over USB with DS4 to Xinput wrapper. The only problem is there seems to be a manufacturing flaw in the controllers causing L1/L2 to stick so probably best to wait until they sort that out. Other than that I find it even more comfortable than the Xbox 360 controller I was using previously.

I'm also trying to figure out how to hack Duo Pinball to work on PC, although you wouldn't have nudge support then. Personally though I have never ONCE been able to make nudge work in my favour so its no loss.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I use Dualshock 4 over USB with DS4 to Xinput wrapper. The only problem is there seems to be a manufacturing flaw in the controllers causing L1/L2 to stick so probably best to wait until they sort that out. Other than that I find it even more comfortable than the Xbox 360 controller I was using previously.

I'm also trying to figure out how to hack Duo Pinball to work on PC, although you wouldn't have nudge support then. Personally though I have never ONCE been able to make nudge work in my favour so its no loss.

I didn't know that the DS4 could pair with a windows PC over USB. While i do prefer the 360 controller to the PS4, it's by a slim margin and the PS4 controller is a huge step in the right direction for Sony.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
Hi folks,

I would suggest not using the triggers, with maybe the exception of tables that have two-stage flippers. The triggers are always going to feel mushy and need to pass the deadzone before they register a button press. My advice would be to use the bumpers, but you find those mushy too. If you do, I'm not sure what controller to recommend for you. The Dual Shocks all have less responsive L1/R1 buttons than the 360 bumpers. Maybe try some 3rd party pc controllers? I don't have any experience to suggest one though.

How are you holding the controller that you find it hard to reach the analog stick to nudge? I've been playing with my index fingers on the bumpers and the rest of my fingers cradling the bottom of the controller. I just reach my left thumb up to the stick for nudging, which I can comfortably do while still keeping my index fingers on the bumpers.

You could try a Hotrod SE or an X-Arcade stick. You would get authentic arcade buttons on the side to use as flippers. Then I set it up to use the right stick for digital nudging and one of the 2P buttons for the plunger. You'll lose analog nudging and plunger control though. It does feel great playing holding a controller the same way you would hold a real table though :)

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I use the bumpers personally - the triggers aren't great.

I can't wait for the Xbone controller to be supported on Windows. It's a fair bit nicer. (Of course, I do wireless 360 controller to my PC...).

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
All I hear are complaints about Xbone controller having the bumpers and triggers too close together so you can accidentally press both, and the ergonomics being incompatible with some peoples play styles.

Personally I have no problem with the Dualshock 4 bumpers, when they don't stick. I mean sure they have a bit more travel but then so do REAL pinball table buttons to some extent.

That said, I am finding it a LOT easier using the Duo Pinball on PC. I think the angle of pressing the buttons like the real thing makes a big difference.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Yeah, they got rid of the plastic separating the bumpers from the triggers for those who use a single finger to slide between them.

Though I have to admit, I never have accidentally pressed both even in the heat of battle.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Looking at the Xbone controller it certainly looks functional to me, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the dualshock 4 actually feels MORE comfortable to me than the Xbox 360 controller did, which had previously been my controller of choice for PC.

That said I never had problems with the original huge Xbox controller, the size and weight fit on my hands perfectly and I do not recall EVER getting cramp from it but every controller since then has to some extent. Dualshock 1-3 in particular were terrible for me, I always felt like I was trying to dislocate my thumbs.

You do have to bear in mind though that I have arthritis (or something, its not been diagnosed) in my hands, I can't play PC games with keyboard and mouse any more as its way too painful.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
The DS4 is a HUGE improvement over the DS3. It would be great if Sony ported support for the DS4 on the PS3.

Ton

Dec 10, 2013
As I mentioned above, I have the Logitech F710. One advantage of it is that it can be switched between X-Input and D-Input.
However I am inclined to press the bumper buttons (for the flippers) too hard which causes cramps in my hands after some playing. I assume that this is because I am still a beginner and have to relax some more

dwarvenpanzer9

Feb 20, 2014
I'm hoping I can find some help here (it took me a bit to find a thread that was relatively related to my issue). I have a wired PS3 controller with a USB end that I got for free, and I figured "Hey, I could use this for TPA so I don't have to use the keyboard anymore! Woot!". I plugged it into the computer, and after a small length of time, the box did find drivers for it. I was all "Yay". I fired up TPA, went to at least try to navigate through menus with the controller, and.......nothing. I was no longer "Yay".

I figured, "Ok, maybe it just doesn't work for menus, but in game it'll be fine..."
Nope.

Controller does all of nothing, and still the only way for me to play at the moment is with the keyboard.

Anyone know how to get this thing working?

Full disclosure time: It's a GameStop brand USB wired PS3 controller (I would have gone with a Sony one, but this was free, so I'd like to same some loot if I can)

N

netizen

I'm hoping I can find some help here (it took me a bit to find a thread that was relatively related to my issue). I have a wired PS3 controller with a USB end that I got for free, and I figured "Hey, I could use this for TPA so I don't have to use the keyboard anymore! Woot!". I plugged it into the computer, and after a small length of time, the box did find drivers for it. I was all "Yay". I fired up TPA, went to at least try to navigate through menus with the controller, and.......nothing. I was no longer "Yay".

I figured, "Ok, maybe it just doesn't work for menus, but in game it'll be fine..."
Nope.

Controller does all of nothing, and still the only way for me to play at the moment is with the keyboard.

Anyone know how to get this thing working?

Full disclosure time: It's a GameStop brand USB wired PS3 controller (I would have gone with a Sony one, but this was free, so I'd like to same some loot if I can)

you need an xinput emulator like motion to joy or better ds3

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts