PC - Request Can we upgrade the textures?

Termbro

Nov 11, 2013
You can call it a giant bubble-gum wrapper for all it matters. The fact is the PC version was released November 4, so it is not a beta any longer.

I agree with Filip. It should be marked as an Early Access.

Also, can't wait for the DX11 light/textures upgrade. It's become a standard nowadays, lots of people have cards with DX11 shaders. Don't think it would be that taxing on the PC rigs. Larger textures would make the game require more hard drive space but I'm all for that.

Professor_Jones

Aug 25, 2013
I also want these much needed improvements... but the aggressiveness of some people here is a real shame. They act like little kids who can't wait and must have what they want right here, right now. Grow up, be patient and the good things will come.

This is still a beta, and I paid for this beta. But thanks for your intervention.

Nobody forced you to pay. You had the opportunity to try all the tables for free, and you decided it was worth buying. Not happy ? This is YOUR problem, deal with it.

Termbro

Nov 11, 2013
I also want these much needed improvements... but the aggressiveness of some people here is a real shame. They act like little kids who can't wait and must have what they want right here, right now. Grow up, be patient and the good things will come.

Nobody forced you to pay. You had the opportunity to try all the tables for free, and you decided it was worth buying. Not happy ? This is YOUR problem, deal with it.

It's funny seeing these two bolded sentences together in the same post.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I honestly believe that the graphics for all the tables will be upgraded with the release of the DX11-lighting update. I think that we all have to be patient for awhile.

I know somewhere in this forum that a statement was made that this update will not come out after the release of The Pinball Arcade on PS4. I also remember somebody saying that most of the upgrades in textures and lighting from PS4 is easily integrated in to the PC format. **Mods, I've searched and can't provide a link.**

The reason, I believe, is that Sony has provided "The Pinball Arcade" from FarSight studios a huge amount of promotional support. FarSight having the chance to premier the PS4 version of "The Pinball Arcade" in the kiosks that spotlighted the features available for the PS4 is remarkable in itself. Plus, all other mentions of TPA that's associated with new PS4.

I hope all you skeptics who want your textures upgraded "right now" can understand while it will take some time to have the textures upgraded for PC.

Sony has given TPA for PS4 so much free promotion and considerations; that when TPA does out for PS4, the new PS4 owners should have exclusive rights to the upgraded features for at least a month. It's only fair and reasonable IMO.

I am waiting for the next update that Stuart, a FarSight employee, mentioned in this thread: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/6472-PC-Version-1-19-6-Discussion-amp-Feedback ... Post #3

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I'd like to think farsight is already hard at work making this happen. Theoretically now that the ps4 and PC ports are out of the way, there's lots of man power hours left over to get this job done. I just hope it doesn't involve rescanning actual pinball machines over again and they have those images set aside from the first time they scanned them. Once they do it for PC hopefully that will trickle down to the ps4/ipad retina/high resolution android pad ports as well (yes android now does have some screens with slightly more pixels than the ipad retina). I would definitely like to see other improvements in quality as well, such as fixed up models (monster bash for example has very terrible models). It is true that pinball fx looks better than pinball arcade, but it's also true that Pinball FX is a sucky game, and I HATE pinball fx. Pinball Arcade needs to upgrade itself into a magnificent beast and crush all competition. I think part of the problem here is that TPA when it was Hall of Fame was originally made for the ps2 era and has upgraded itself to new standards but kept the same old base engine which is slowing it's evolution down.

Volitar Prime

Jun 24, 2012
I downloaded the “free” version and played some ToTAN but was highly disappointed with the low res textures and other graphical anomalies like the genie sticking through the top glass (which isn’t there). I have decided that I won’t buy any of the table packs until such a day when they all get updated high res textures. Everyone keeps saying how the PS4 update will be applied to the PC version but from what I’ve seen of it the textures don’t look any better, just better lighting.

I want to be able to read the text on the playfield.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Yes, the PC release honeymoon is over for me. When I read that the PC would be updated to DX11 and PS4 quality lighting in a few months, I just moved on and put this game back on the "shelf" for now. I'm not anticipating any updates to happen until sometime next year. I log into Steam almost every day hoping that I'll see the Pinball Arcade downloading a patch.

It is almost where I want it, but it is like having the car of your dreams with one tire missing the the steering wheel removed. I can tease myself by sitting in it and revving up the engine, but I can't really enjoy it like I want to. It would almost be better if it was not available at all until some of the issues were resolved...almost.

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
Regarding hope that it will be upgraded with the PS4/DX11 version, I'm not so sure it will. I've played the PS4 demo at the Gamestop kiosk. The new lighting looked awesome, and it looked great in person. The textures, as far as I could tell, looked pretty much the same. I'm starting to wonder if the reason they are staying like this is because these are the best captures FS has.

Especially on the flyers. There has to be higher res copies of those out there somewhere. You can say, yeah, who looks at those, but don't include them if you can't make them presentable. I cannot read the text, its a blurry pixel mess. I can't imagine it'd be that hard to swap out with higher rez images.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
I gotta be honest with you guys. When it costs $2.50 per pinball table, it's really hard to be like 'Well this **** sucks'.

Seriously!

+1

I'd be a lot more upset with unresolved bugs if it cost $20 or more per table.
As it is, the whole of TPA is awesome, the majority of the games are great and the remaining bugs are only a minor pain when compared to the entertainment value I get for an almost trivial cost per table.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012

Keep in mind that Farsight has exclusive rights, no one else is allowed to do what they are doing and I'm probably not the only one who would pay more than 2.50 for better quality.

High res textures are an industry standard of todays games. And this is Farsights Mission Statement:

The Pinball Arcade features exact recreations of the all-time greatest pinball tables from Williams®, Bally®, Stern®, and Gottlieb® together in one game. Every flipper, bumper, sound effect, and display pixel has been painstakingly emulated in astonishing detail!

Last edited:

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
Regarding hope that it will be upgraded with the PS4/DX11 version, I'm not so sure it will. I've played the PS4 demo at the Gamestop kiosk. The new lighting looked awesome, and it looked great in person. The textures, as far as I could tell, looked pretty much the same. I'm starting to wonder if the reason they are staying like this is because these are the best captures FS has.

Especially on the flyers. There has to be higher res copies of those out there somewhere. You can say, yeah, who looks at those, but don't include them if you can't make them presentable. I cannot read the text, its a blurry pixel mess. I can't imagine it'd be that hard to swap out with higher rez images.

Yeah, I've been posting about this issue since the beta, particularly for the playfields. See: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/5445-Low-Quality-Playfield-Art-(AFM)

It's disappointing to see the jagged lines on the art and to not even be able to read what half of the insert lights say while in full-screen portrait view. Prettiness aside, it hurts gameplay to not be able to read text that's designed to assist the player.

The thing is, some of the textures - like the ones on the slingshots - typically look fantastic. So I don't think it's an issue of the source captures.

For what it's worth I played the PS4 version at the Chicago Pinball Expo and the AFM playfield looked better (though I couldn't zoom in all the way to do an apples to apples test; there was no table exploration yet and obviously it was in landscape). So hopefully better textures are indeed coming.

As for the flyers...I have no idea why they're so bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.