Damn the Weather [NP]

I've been silent for a while, but I have nothing really newsworthy in the pinball field to offer. So instead, one of my favorite summer drink recipes, for those of legal age:

Damn the Weather

1-1/3 parts good gin (I use Bombay Sapphire, but your preference of quality gin will do just fine)
1 part sweet vermouth
1 part Campari
2/3 part Grand Marnier (if no Grand Marnier is at hand: Cointreau. If you're really in barbaric lands, 1/2 part triple sec as a last resort.)

Vigorously stir together first three ingredients with ice until well-chilled. Strain into a chilled large martini glass and float Grand Marnier on top. Garnish with orange and/or lemon.

Note for male drinkers: This drink looks a lot like a Cosmopolitan when in a martini glass. If you want to avoid having to explain what you're drinking to everyone nearby, serve on the rocks instead, which will cause people to think it's a Manhattan with an excess of vermouth.

Note for all drinkers: This concoction, being all alcohol, is very strong. One is plenty, maybe two if you don't have to drive.

About the name: It comes from a similar-but-not-quite-identical drink that was that night's special at the place I ate dinner when I picked up my Twilight Zone.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Dude what with the cosmo hate? I'm a dude and I like them. Lots of women drink beer also, which is considered a man's drink.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I have nothing against them personally. I just live in a part of the country where a man drinking a Cosmopolitan is generally viewed unfavorably, so I included the alternate serving instructions so that people can enjoy the drink without fear of harassment.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
I was drinking a red-headed parrot at the Dawg House one night (sports bar near my old college - it's a delicious two-toned red-orange mixed drink - I forgot what goes in it but it's delicious and pretty strong too), and some dude walked up from behind me and whispered, "you shouldn't be drinking that," I asked "why not?" I turned around thinking he might be one of my religious buddies, but he was some man I've never met sipping a beer. He replied, "because that's a ladies drink. You should be drinking a man's drink," I just shook my head and didn't bother to come up with a reply. Never argue with a drunk.

It really doesn't make any sense. I like beer and shots, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a beer, and too many shots will eff anyone up quick. So stereotypical. The man has to drink beer, but wine or fruity mixed drinks always for the lady, even though wine is higher proof and men metabolize alcohol more efficiently. So we drink more to compensate and that equates to multiple trips to the p!sser.

Sorry to steal your thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts