Details on PC Cabinet support for TPA

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
Farsight, can you start provided details on that features will and will not be supported for Cab mode of TPA on Steam? I am looking to get a Cab in the Spring and am pumped for TPA PC approval.

Dual screen monitors, real DMD support, LEDwiz support, configurable controls, IR head tracking?

Thanks,
PinBalt

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I bought a bunch of cabinet parts last June. I can give without the DMD and second screen for now but for the love of all that is holy please let us at least rotate the view.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Farsight, can you start provided details on that features will and will not be supported for Cab mode of TPA on Steam? I am looking to get a Cab in the Spring and am pumped for TPA PC approval.

Dual screen monitors, real DMD support, LEDwiz support, configurable controls, IR head tracking?

Thanks,
PinBalt

I think if they just make an API they lets us read data from the ROM, the cabinet community would take no time to write LEDWiz and DMD support. Dual monitors would be awesome, but I feel like we could hack out way around that as well, at least by detecting what table is running and loading a backglass on the second monitor.

flywithsean

Apr 20, 2013
I bought a bunch of cabinet parts last June. I can give without the DMD and second screen for now but for the love of all that is holy please let us at least rotate the view.

What are you talking about?!? I've been playing with the rotated view for months now!! Of course thats on my Mac

ejTEAo

Last edited:

Longi

May 30, 2013
Well flywithsean but we are talking about the PC version. ;)
The possibility to rotate the screen (and a dual screen support!!) would be awesome for ALL plattforms of course!

DO IT FarSight :rolleyes::cool::)

Any news about that?

Mr 230268

Jun 12, 2013
Visual Pinball ist great. I build a cabinet for it and I love it to play. But I'm sure that TPA will be much more realistic. I love it on my Ipad. So please Farsight, Support the cabinet mode with two monitors.

gamester

Jun 4, 2013
Visual Pinball ist great. I build a cabinet for it and I love it to play. But I'm sure that TPA will be much more realistic. I love it on my Ipad. So please Farsight, Support the cabinet mode with two monitors.

+1

And of course real DMD support (via the PinDMD USB adapter) would be icing on the cake. Zen is already working on this for PBFX2...and of course, Visual Pinball and Future Pinball have had it for a while now. :)

And LEDWiz support (for force feedback and lighting as is also available in VP and FP) would be the cherry on the icing on the cake, but I don't want to press my luck. ;)

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
+1

And of course real DMD support (via the PinDMD USB adapter) would be icing on the cake. Zen is already working on this for PBFX2...and of course, Visual Pinball and Future Pinball have had it for a while now. :)

And LEDWiz support (for force feedback and lighting as is also available in VP and FP) would be the cherry on the icing on the cake, but I don't want to press my luck. ;)

I think real DMD support shouldn't be a big deal as they are emulating the actual ROMs similar to the way VP does it. I know Farsight did some things to hack they way they work like giving extra balls for scores, so maybe they somehow broke that functionality. If that is the case, we will just need to figure out a way to hack around that, like the way the FP addon spies on the OpenGL debugger.

I've been playing Pinball FX2 on my cabinet. I love it and they haven't even added support for cabinets yet. I can't wait until I can play versions of real pinball tables, the Zen ones get a little silly sometimes.

The more I use my cabinet, the more I hope for support for my Nanotech plunger. It's the coolest looking thing sitting there, doing mostly nothing. My friends are always awed by seeing the analog plunger move things on a digital table or physically nudging the machine to move a digital pinball.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I tried Zen on the cabinet but just can't get into it. Waiting for FS to get the ball rolling. Until then, VP tables have been sweet. Especially if you use the B2S back glass for the table.

Last edited:

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Do you mean awarding extra balls for replays instead of credits? If so, that's no hack. That's an operator menu setting.

Each table has a way to give an extra ball based on score. It is usually a fairly easy score to achieve way lower than I would think a free game would be worth. I haven't gotten any new tables in a while because I am waiting for the PC release, so maybe things changed or there are new tables that act differently.

Last edited:

flywithsean

Apr 20, 2013
All this cabinet talk is pointless. There will not be a cabinet released anytime soon for TPA. They have so many different balls in the air, and this would represent a very small number of people who would actually purchase a cabinet version. As in, time to program not worth the return on investment. We are all going to get nothing more than a ported version of (if we are lucky) the PS4 version for Windows. There will be no modding. There will be no DMD support. Just stop torturing yourself. Notice how no one from Far Sight is involved in the cabinet threads other than to say "Pinball Cabinet Support : FarSight stated that they definitely plan to implement pinball cabinet support in the future." Wow that is a totally open ended promise. My wife wouldnt let me get away with that kind of answer. I wouldnt even remotely expect anything until someone from FarSight actually gets involved and says you can expect it soon.
Believe me I want the cabinet version bad, real bad. But I also understand from a business standpoint that it is not worth the extra work. I have a VP I built and I love it but would way rather have the TPA version since its a legal item as well as a consistent quality item. Sometimes VP tables are night and day in quality from each other.

freezy

Jun 5, 2012
Bobby King said that they wanted to make cab owners happy. But since "wanting" and "doing" are two completely different things at FS, I pretty much agree on what you said.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
There's still plenty more chance of Cabinet support than Linux support, so I'm guessing the odds are still (marginally) in your favour.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
All this cabinet talk is pointless. There will not be a cabinet released anytime soon for TPA. They have so many different balls in the air, and this would represent a very small number of people who would actually purchase a cabinet version. As in, time to program not worth the return on investment. We are all going to get nothing more than a ported version of (if we are lucky) the PS4 version for Windows. There will be no modding. There will be no DMD support. Just stop torturing yourself. Notice how no one from Far Sight is involved in the cabinet threads other than to say "Pinball Cabinet Support : FarSight stated that they definitely plan to implement pinball cabinet support in the future." Wow that is a totally open ended promise. My wife wouldnt let me get away with that kind of answer. I wouldnt even remotely expect anything until someone from FarSight actually gets involved and says you can expect it soon.
Believe me I want the cabinet version bad, real bad. But I also understand from a business standpoint that it is not worth the extra work. I have a VP I built and I love it but would way rather have the TPA version since its a legal item as well as a consistent quality item. Sometimes VP tables are night and day in quality from each other.

And I thought I was a pessimist. It will have cabinet support. Sounds like sooner rather than later. I think Mike said he had converted 10 tables so far. It will happen, they are pinball fans themselves and I am sure they want to play their own work on a high end device that closely simulates a real table.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.