Does Goin Nuts have the worst music ever for a pinball game?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Not counting games without music, or even digital sound effects, I challenge anyone to find a pin with worse "music" than 'Nuts.

The music, if you want to call it that, is this grating 1/5th of a second loop. "Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh". Count it. 5 identical "duh" sound effects in one second, looped to make a tune. That's unacceptable for a pinball game from 1983.

Just to give you an example. Black Knight was released in 1980. Xenon was released in 79. Firepower and Gottliebs own Black Hole also 1980-81 pins and while their tunes aren't exactly symphonys, compared to Goin Nuts they are practically Mozart.

Digitized voice, 1-3 second looped tunes that speed up/slow down, and decent sound effects were common on early 80s games so what exactly went wrong here? I'm also curious how the chips are emulated if only 10 of these exist in the world. Is it possible this isn't even the tables actual music? I'm just having a hard time understanding how a pinball from 83 can possibly sound this bad.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
It's really more a sound effect than music. It's no worse than the thumping in space invaders. To be honest I hardly notice it over the sound of the machine.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It's really more a sound effect than music. It's no worse than the thumping in space invaders. To be honest I hardly notice it over the sound of the machine.
I agree. It's bad, but after the first minute I find my ears no longer register the sound. I'm much more annoyed by Genie's sound effects.

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
Not counting games without music, or even digital sound effects, I challenge anyone to find a pin with worse "music" than 'Nuts.

The music, if you want to call it that, is this grating 1/5th of a second loop. "Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh". Count it. 5 identical "duh" sound effects in one second, looped to make a tune. That's unacceptable for a pinball game from 1983.

Just to give you an example. Black Knight was released in 1980. Xenon was released in 79. Firepower and Gottliebs own Black Hole also 1980-81 pins and while their tunes aren't exactly symphonys, compared to Goin Nuts they are practically Mozart.

Digitized voice, 1-3 second looped tunes that speed up/slow down, and decent sound effects were common on early 80s games so what exactly went wrong here? I'm also curious how the chips are emulated if only 10 of these exist in the world. Is it possible this isn't even the tables actual music? I'm just having a hard time understanding how a pinball from 83 can possibly sound this bad.

You protest too much. It's obvious you're in love with this machine.

And no... Harley Davidson has the worst music. Ever. Jam-an-ice-pick-in-my-ear bad.

VanceFox

Jul 29, 2013
I agree with what others have said here; after a while I'm able to tune out the background music for Goin' Nuts.

The background 'music' that I really can't stand is Firepower. And that one, for some reason, I cannot tune out. It just gets more and more and more annoying the faster the sound effect gets.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
I agree. It's bad, but after the first minute I find my ears no longer register the sound. I'm much more annoyed by Genie's sound effects.

^^ THIS

I mute my system when I play Genie (which isn't very often). That damn "bloop bloop bloop BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" drives me insane, and worse yet, sounds JUST LIKE a cell phone sitting on my coffee table on vibrate. For sure, not a comparison anyone would have ever made in the 70's, but these days... I've actually paused the game (yes, several times!) thinking that my phone was buzzing somewhere.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
The one thing I can't stand about those early tables is the music, I play them on mute. Although, somehow Centaur isn't annoying.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Goin Nuts has music? I can't hear it, I only hear a constant chugging sound. I love annoying music though so I really want to hear it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.