GOLDENEYE is mine!!! (It's all your fault SKILL_SHOT)

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
If you aren't stripping everything off the playfield it can be a lot easier to change some of the GI lamps from underneath rather than removing all the stuff on top of them. Thats how it is on my table, all you do is lift the playfield and prop it up with whatever mechanism your table has in place to hold it up, remove one screw with a nutspinner allowing the lamp holder to fall down, change the lamp and then refit it. A lot quicker than doing it from the top. If you don't have any already get yourself a set of imperial nutspinners, I bought a cheap set on ebay for about £12. You will get a lot of use out of them.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Some GI's are on the table under plastics and will require dismantling, I can almost tear down my whole playfield with a KLIEN 8in1 screw driver. Get some micro fiber towels and some detail auto spray for quick waxing but get some heavy was too use it first. Rubbers just take off old and replace.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Ok so the flasher isn't out. Just rarely lights up.

Most of the GI lighting is stapled into the field underneath. Ugh. So I might have to go in from the top.

So for the rubbers, just take the glass off, pull off the old ones and stretch on the new?

I just had the table propped up to see which lights I could get at. The play fields are easy to swap. Just turn and pull. Not surprisingly those are the ones he already changed. The GIs are gonna be a pain. I literally have NO CLUE what I'm doing :cool:

Last edited:

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Here's what I'm talking about:

The first pic is the switch. Looks like just a screw. But that wire on the end has me confuzzled. The second and third pics show the stapled lights

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Stapled in? Wow that's a cheap and nasty way to build something. I guess your going from the top then ( or buy a staple gun! ). It will do you good to learn how to strip the playfield anyway, give it a good clean and wax from time to time.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Yes some GI's are stapled in usually in the backboard. Yes just take the old rubbers off and put new ones on. TAKE YOUR TIME! take lots of pictures and it helps if you can lay it out as youve taken it off and rarely can you just take off 1 piece.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
On the plus side, fiddling with the wire on the target seems to have fixed it. Must've been loose from the move.

I just changed the batteries in the headboard and the entire system reset even though it was still pugged in. Ugh. Had to redo all the settings again.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Yes some GI's are stapled in usually in the backboard. Yes just take the old rubbers off and put new ones on. TAKE YOUR TIME! take lots of pictures and it helps if you can lay it out as youve taken it off and rarely can you just take off 1 piece.

Yah. I'm going to leave them for now. Gonna watch some YouTube vids and get a better feel for it. Rubbers will be done soon though. And need to figure out how to change the target. I'd prefer blue still.

Thanks!

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Stapled in? Wow that's a cheap and nasty way to build something. I guess your going from the top then ( or buy a staple gun! ). It will do you good to learn how to strip the playfield anyway, give it a good clean and wax from time to time.

I'll get to that eventually. For right now I just wanted to do some easy stuff before I change something and it explodes ;)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I just looked at that part you want to change its called a TARGET SWITCH-MODULAR that is the whole unit but it looks like you can just change the colored target instead of the whole thing either way it has to come out but just saying its cheaper for the just the target :D

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Or $5 for just the color part you want to change:)

Since it was a little wonky at first I think if I take it out I might as well do the whole thing. But for now since i fiddled with it its been working perfectly. So just a cosmetic change. God changing those GI lights looks so intimidating. Anyone know a good link for a tutorial on stripping the playfield?

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012

Yeah I know. It's odd because the PF lights are all twist in and out VERY easily. Any tips on stripping?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Taking things apart is easy, its putting it back together that matters:p take your time, take pictures of how things should look and even every nut and screw, lay out your playfield parts how they are orientated on the table when you remove them somewhere safe. Your table will be unplayable for a few days so its best to get visual memory. If a certain part has alot of screws and nuts put them in bags and lable them whatever will help you. If something is wrong you will know or if you skip a step you'll soon realise it.BE CAREFUL

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Just take your time, take lots if photos and if you can do it a section at a time. For example start with one of the slingshots, take it apart, replace the lamps and put it back together. Then the other one etc but sooner or later you will start taking something apart and realise you have to take something else off first and then something else so you end up taking quite a bit off in one go. That can seem a bit daunting, and is why i said do it from underneath if possible, if it wasn't for those staples it would be much easier. Take lots of photos if you aren't confident. You will feel very proud when you get it all back together and will know a lot more about your pin.

Last edited:

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Alright so I've designated a couple areas that look very simple to strip. I'm going to do one at a time for now until I get comfortable. The rails under the slings are first. So once I have them off do the lights just pop/twist out?

Heading out now to pick up new flipper rubbers, premium balls, and a bunch of LED's. I wasn't sure if the modding bug would grab me but if this goes alright then I may be hooked!

Also, whats the easiest way to eject all of the balls? Start a multiball and grab them or does the machine have an eject feature?

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Alright so I've designated a couple areas that look very simple to strip. I'm going to do one at a time for now until I get comfortable. The rails under the slings are first. So once I have them off do the lights just pop/twist out?

Heading out now to pick up new flipper rubbers, premium balls, and a bunch of LED's. I wasn't sure if the modding bug would grab me but if this goes alright then I may be hooked!

Also, whats the easiest way to eject all of the balls? Start a multiball and grab them or does the machine have an eject feature?

Take the glass off, lift the play field and take them out the trough.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.