How do you nudge then?

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
I'm not very good at real nudging on a real machine, but getting slowly better at it. On TPA though I am hopeless.

For the last year I played on iPhone in landscape mode, and now I'm playing on an ipad2 in portrait mode and its so much better, but still HOW DO YOU NUDGE? Someone help me out here.

Do you iPad players hold the thing on your lap and use either hand to touch top left or right? Or do you keep the weight of the thing in your left hand and just reach up with right thumb as needed (assuming you are right handed)? Does anyone shake the thing instead? And are there any general rules, like atop right in/outlane always nudge one way or the other?

Help me out here, I know I could be doing so much better if I knew how to use it to its best advantage.

ra7etuna.jpg

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I play with it resting on my lap, or on my desk at work. Also try some of the other touch nudge schemes available. You might prefer one of the other options to the default nudge scheme.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I play with it resting on my lap, or on my desk at work. Also try some of the other touch nudge schemes available. You might prefer one of the other options to the default nudge scheme.
Scheme E is very nice if you don't like moving your thumbs much to nudge. It makes your flipper areas very small, though, so it's not the greatest if your fingers wander.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
There is also an option called "show touchscreen" that gives an outline of the nudge zones on your screen. Very helpful until you get comfortable with them.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Go into Table Options and scroll all the way down. FS added nudge schemes two packs ago.

In table options at the bottom I see back up then below that is restore and below that is a thing called icade that I don't know what it is, but which I can toggle between iPad, iPhone or off. There's nothing below that one.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
In table options at the bottom I see back up then below that is restore and below that is a thing called icade that I don't know what it is, but which I can toggle between iPad, iPhone or off. There's nothing below that one.

Within a chosen table
Pick 'Table options' - then pick 'options' and use the down arrow (if needed) to scroll to the very bottom.
The options your looking for are called 'Touch Schemes' & 'Show Touch Schemes'.

There is also an invert nudge option if you wish to change which side of the screen nudges in which direction. (I play with invert on).

An Icade is a controller which can be used for input instead of touch input.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Thank you Baron, I found it now but will have to leave it til tomorrow to try it out as I accidentally imbibed some high strength liquor and am temporarily incapacitated

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I play with the iPad in my hands and I place my thumbs (flippers) just below the nudge zone. When I nudge I only have to move my thumb up a bit to quickly hit the nudge. It took me a long time to get used to playing with my thumbs so high on the iPad but now I can place them lower again with the new touchscreen zone options.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Scheme E is very nice if you don't like moving your thumbs much to nudge. It makes your flipper areas very small, though, so it's not the greatest if your fingers wander.

Yes, scheme E works best for me too. I like the nudge areas being close to the flipper "buttons." I even keep the grid on.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
Scheme A all the way. Thumbs at bottom as per usual but all nudging is done with the index fingers. Very easy once u get used to it.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I hold the iPad in my hands (portrait only) and slam the side of it. Usually this is an after-drain frustration; I almost never use it as a bond-fide play technique because of the delay, but I suspect touching to nudge would only cause me other problems and I prefer not to nudge at all.

Samandor

May 31, 2013
With the iPad's capabilities, getting shake nudge right should be a priority, but other tablets/smartphones that are pale substitutes likely adds to the difficulty for a multiplatform release. I find that the iPad shake nudge works reasonably well, once you realize that the sensitivity is affected by the angle of the tablet (flat barely works; approaching vertical yields tilts with no more than aggressive flipper action). And there seems to be no vertical nudge, same as touch nudge.

I'd gladly sacrifice a couple months of new table releases for improvement on this.

N

netizen

If I read the comment right Samandor is saying that Shake nudging has no forward nudge.

Samandor

May 31, 2013
My bad - have not explored the newer touch-nudge capabilities, simply because it ain't natural!

Shaken (not stirred),
Samandor

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts