How many songs are you hearing?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
So, I guess Rock Around The Clock is in there but I haven't heard it yet. A bit of a bummer about the other songs but the owners probably wanted some outrageous amount. Oh well.

I'd hate to think how much STERN had to pay to licence their ELVIS pinball machine in that case. There are so many Elvis tracks and licences in that game that it would have cost a small fortune.

I'm speculating that it would be the same if not more than the TZ licence fees.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I'd hate to think how much STERN had to pay to licence their ELVIS pinball machine in that case. There are so many Elvis tracks and licences in that game that it would have cost a small fortune.

I'm speculating that it would be the same if not more than the TZ licence fees.
The difference is that all the songs in Elvis and AC/DC are likely owned by a single rights holding entity. This enables them to negotiate the rights to all songs for a flat fee and/or a percentage. When they're owned by different rights holders, you must make deals with each of them individually, and some might be right down bastards about it. That's likely what happened with Summertime Blues and Get a Job.
One question that comes to mind about this is does the absence of those songs mean the ROMs have to be altered, and therefore can't be emulated?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
One question that comes to mind about this is does the absence of those songs mean the ROMs have to be altered, and therefore can't be emulated?

I could be wrong but ipdb.org suggest the sound rom is different from the Game Rom. It was very likely a simple case of "relinking" the references to the 2 songs to the 3 remaining ones.

Jay

May 19, 2012
I just played the real table the other day, and during two separate games it cycled through all of the tunes. I guessed at that point that Farsight couldn't get the licenses. I've only heard Red River and Hand Jive. I assume I'll hear Rock Around the Clock at some point.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I just played the real table the other day, and during two separate games it cycled through all of the tunes. I guessed at that point that Farsight couldn't get the licenses. I've only heard Red River and Hand Jive. I assume I'll hear Rock Around the Clock at some point.

You're not the only one who's not hearing Rock Around The Clock. Seems to be an issue on ios. Hope it's fixed soon. And yes, Farsight told me they couldn't acquire Summertime Blues or Get a Job in the above email response I posted. A shame but I'll live.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Farsight said they got three out of the five songs. The game over tune is possibly just an original rendition using elements of other doo wop songs from the time period. Yes, I think there's an ios bug. I think it should be the same as android with Rock Around The Clock playing on the third ball but we're not getting it.

So a Paul Heitsch original! I could have sworn I knew that song from somewhere. I also love the Move Your Car tune as well. Actually, the whole sound design is fantastic, aside from that goofy stock "boing!" ball kickout sample.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I dont get copyright id have assumed all right to the table as is come with it, its a shame about summertime blues but yeh give ios rock around the clock, the songs really make this game complete

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I dont get copyright id have assumed all right to the table as is come with it, its a shame about summertime blues but yeh give ios rock around the clock, the songs really make this game complete
They dont, same for images of movies, images of actors etc. They need seperate licenses. Which is why Im very happy that STTNG is a very viable option. I think we're lucky that the cast and specifically people like Patrick Stewart and Will Weaton embrace their popculture/geek status, with their performances in Family Guy, American Dad and Big Bang Theory.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
They dont, same for images of movies, images of actors etc. They need seperate licenses. Which is why Im very happy that STTNG is a very viable option. I think we're lucky that the cast and specifically people like Patrick Stewart and Will Weaton embrace their popculture/geek status, with their performances in Family Guy, American Dad and Big Bang Theory.

Aye loving that were eventually gonna get tng, the ios rotc bug is bad but ill miss summer time blues greedy corps

Moon Jump

Apr 19, 2012

As I said in the first post, I went out to Reciprocal Skateboards to do some videos for my site, so the first thing I played was Creature. This is just a test video, I had to adjust my camera to get the DMD, but even in the test video you can hear all three of the "cut" songs in a row. It played the same three songs the entire time I was there. I'll have a better video of Creature up soon. (Couldn't get the damn multiball on film)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.