International price variations

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I notice tapping through various tables that although they are all priced at $4.99, the GBP price varies by a good 20 pence in some cases.

What is the reason for this?

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
Wow, amazing catch Carl!!

I'm guessing the slight change is due to the change in the exchange rate from USD to GBP. I'll go through and update them now :)

Darrell Harding

Mar 28, 2013
Hi I realise this should probably be in the PlayStation section however just was interested to ask why you guys can be keen to change android international prices so quickly but when I queried the $20 price variation between the usa store PS4 season packs at $39 compared to the Australian (euro psn) season packs weighing in at a colossal $59 I was basically told to take it to Sony and see if the price is correct and if there was a problem farsight would look at fixing things. There was no positive action like you have taken on the android front instead it seems like it is something you guys are happy to leave while people are unknowingly paying a insanely inflated prices for a digital product :-(

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Depends on the store, I believe.

On Android, FarSight controls everything - when you buy a table from them, Google Play shuffles you to FarSight's checkout page and you pay FarSight directly. So FarSight controls the pricing because they're basically selling it to you. (They're also responsible for calculating taxes and all that, which is why sometimes a $0.99 app will get charged tax and other times not).

On iTunes, Apple does it all - FarSight sets the price in US dollars and Apple takes care of the conversions and all that and hands over a cheque. Apple does all the taxes and reporting as well.

On Sony and probably Microsoft - well, they try to do it all. Or more precisely, they decide what the price should go for. While Apple basically lets the developer sets the price, on Sony/Microsoft, they take the suggested price and run with that, but they control pricing in their stores, the developer has less say in how things go. Problem is, if there's a pricing problem, the best FarSight could do is tell Sony something's wrong. It's up to Sony to actually fix it.

So on Android, FarSight can easily update the prices immediately by logging in and adjusting the foreign exchange prices directly. On iTunes, Apple sets the price but it's a standard across-the-board pricing. On Sony, Sony sets the price, and FarSight needs to tell them to update the pricing.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
sony have been slugging Europe and Australia ALL THE TIME !!!us $4.99 aus $7.50 even allowing for the exchange rate us$1 = aus$0.82 it doesn`t add up.only sony dipsticks do this.no problem with STEAM or XBOX 1.:p

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
sony have been slugging Europe and Australia ALL THE TIME !!!us $4.99 aus $7.50 even allowing for the exchange rate us$1 = aus$0.82 it doesn`t add up.only sony dipsticks do this.no problem with STEAM or XBOX 1.:p

I understand. That sucks. What I meant was while FS is able to change prices immediately on iOS/steam/android as far as I know it takes an act of congress to do it on the gaming systems which is why there were no flash sales on them during the 12 days of Christmas.

I do understand your frustration. As I said at the beginning. That SUCKS I'm sorry my friend.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Arbitrage opportunity awaits for currency flippers:

1. buy digital good in a currency that you feel will go up in value
2. return for refund
3. profit!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.