Request IOS graphics (Reflection or Shadow under Ball)

Cem Nahit Köne

Jul 30, 2013
When playing the game the ball feels like floating in the air to me. I think that Ipad 4th generation and Iphone5 can handle simple playfield reflection under the ball or at least a simple blob shadow. TPA can have a patch about the graphics to include one of the feature i mentioned above. This will also improve gameplay significantly.

What do you think?

night

May 18, 2012
When playing the game the ball feels like floating in the air to me. I think that Ipad 4th generation and Iphone5 can handle simple playfield reflection under the ball or at least a simple blob shadow. TPA can have a patch about the graphics to include one of the feature i mentioned above. This will also improve gameplay significantly.

What do you think?

I probably have wasted a keyboard and some of my finest hours writing about TPA graphics. Just take my word for it: don't waste your time. They (FarSight) don't care.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Real tables don't reflect the ball unless they have way too much clear coat on them.

It's not something to worry about.

I've said it before but the mobile graphics are fine. They aren't going to improve them and break compatibility with older devices like IPhone 4 and older, iPad 2 etc.

They can't even lock down 60fps on most Android devices or the PSVita so I don't think "improving" them is in the cards.

The iOS version looks great and runs a perfect 60fps. If you want more advanced graphics get either a current generation console, a next gen console, or a PC. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

Cem Nahit Köne

Jul 30, 2013
Real tables don't reflect the ball unless they have way too much clear coat on them.

They can't even lock down 60fps on most Android devices or the PSVita so I don't think "improving" them is in the cards.

The iOS version looks great and runs a perfect 60fps. If you want more advanced graphics get either a current generation console, a next gen console, or a PC. It's as simple as that.

If that's the case then i will enjoy PC edition of TPA when it is released. I have also PS3 but cannot rotate the table upright, so i will wait.

Thanks.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I'm not trying to be a jerk. It's just that my 4s is getting old, and I don't want to lose 60fps gameplay over something as trivial as ball reflections, or slightly enhanced lighting.

I think they do terrific work and the game looks great as is.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
If that's the case then i will enjoy PC edition of TPA when it is released. I have also PS3 but cannot rotate the table upright, so i will wait.

Thanks.

Mobile versions are great for on the go pinball but there is no substitute for the PC and console versions.

If you're a graphics guy, it's silly to beat on Farsight over the mobile graphics

Because even if they went balls to the wall and coded to take full advantage of the latest iPad or iPhone (breaking old devices in the process) t's still not going to come anywhere near the ps4 or PC version.

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
It would be nice to have graphics that reflect the device's capabilities. That doesn't necessarily have to break the game on less powerful devices. And mobile devices become more powerful every day. You just disable features on older, less capable devices.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I hear you. But if you ask me Farsight is tapped out. It's clear to me they are overworked; too many platforms. Upping the graphics engine isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. You're talking overhauling graphics of 40 tables now.

It's easy to forget but many of the older releases still have bugs. The display on BoP is still messed up, for instance. So bug fixes should be the priority. Still need rom emulation on older machines, CV STILL hasn't been touched, etc. I'm bringing this up only because it underscores what priorities should be. Once old bugs are handled I'm all for better graphics, so long as they do as you say, make it optional, or only for devices that can handle it and not break 60fps on old ones.

Pick your battles wisely. Gameplay comes first IMO graphics can wait. Ask for too much and you'll probably get nothing in return.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
It's easy to forget but many of the older releases still have bugs. The display on BoP is still messed up, for instance. So bug fixes should be the priority. Still need rom emulation on older machines, CV STILL hasn't been touched, etc. I'm bringing this up only because it underscores what priorities should be.
Agreed 100%. CV needs bug fixing badly and has been in this condition this for as long as I can remember. Bug fixes should be top priority, not adding features which could create even more bugs on top of those.

Cem Nahit Köne

Jul 30, 2013
I'm not trying to be a jerk. It's just that my 4s is getting old, and I don't want to lose 60fps gameplay over something as trivial as ball reflections, or slightly enhanced lighting.

I think they do terrific work and the game looks great as is.

60FPS gameplay is a must for a pinball game but i am not saying that the ball reflection must be real time. On mobile, ball has reflections on itself, but if ball has a simple "a half transparent reflection texture" or "simple blob shadow" under it, will not decrease FPS for mobile, even for iphone3GS, iphone4 or 4s. I am saying this because i am an independent game developer myself. But if the game engine not allowing this kind of addition then i can't request anything.

This will improve gameplay, sometimes it is hard to follow the ball on the playfield for me. The simple example for blob shadow under the ball is "Zen Pinball" and "Revenge of the Rob-o-bot" graphics and they both run really well.

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
60FPS gameplay is a must for a pinball game but i am not saying that the ball reflection must be real time. On mobile, ball has reflections on itself, but if ball has a simple "a half transparent reflection texture" or "simple blob shadow" under it, will not decrease FPS for mobile, even for iphone3GS, iphone4 or 4s. I am saying this because i am an independent game developer myself.

This will improve gameplay, sometimes it is hard to follow the ball on the playfield for me. The simple example for blob shadow under the ball is "Zen Pinball" graphics and it runs really well.

Absolutely, I agree 100%. Like a shadow a reflection can be done just as simple. It will give the ball more dimensional depth. I would love to see it, but it's incredible unlikely it will (ever) happen in TPA. Very likely in Zaccaria for the iOS (I hope).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts