Keyboard Shortcut for rotating displays with NVIDIA cards?

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Until recently I had an AMD Video Card. AMD Catalyst Control Center would allow me to create a Keyboard Shortcut to quickly rotate one of my displays to portrait. (This I did through AMD CCC presets and its hotkeys, which also allowed me to quickly choose which of my dual monitors was enabled.) I recently purchased an NVIDIA card (GTX 960) and have the latest (released) driver. (One of the main reasons I got the card was for DX11 with TPA.) I am able to rotate the monitor with NVIDIA Control Panel with mouse clicks. But is there anyway to do it with Keyboard Shortcuts? Old posts around the Web talks alot about "CTRL-ALT-Arrow" and "CTRL-Shift-Arrow", but neither work for me. (Is there perhaps some Windows 7 setting somewhere that's needed to enable one of these?) A keyboard sequence is strongly preferred for times I happen to physically rotate the monitor or TV before I rotate it in my PC settings. For example when I move my PC from my landscape orientated monitor to my already portrait rotated TV on the wall.

For the NVIDIA Control Panel, I can't find any keyboard shortcuts like I had with the AMD CCC Preset hotkeys/keyboard shortcuts. (Other than keyboard shortcuts for controlling NVIDIA's stereoscopic 3D.)

Last edited:

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I did at least find one web post that suggested when the monitor (or TV) is physically in a different orientation than the PC's display setting, that one can get more easily navigate with the mouse by first turning the mouse (sideways or upside down), so it's physically orientated the same direction as the monitor (or TV) physically is. The post said that it tricks the brain! It worked to allow me to at least use NVIDIA Control Panel (or in Windows' Screen Resolution panel) to correctly configure to the proper Orientation with the mouse. (For example what's needed when the TV physically is in Portrait Orientation, but the Windows/NVIDIA Display settings are still in Landscape Orientation.) This trick is not nearly as easy as a keyboard shortcut, but it's at least something. I guess some people might also prefer to turn their head sideways, but they'll still wind up turning the mouse. :)

Last edited:

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
I have Win 8.1 and an NVidia GTX 960 card and had to install iRotate to make the ctrl+alt+arrow shortcut work.

What I do want is that you could change the rotation/resolution within TPA without using an external program, so like in eg. Pinball FX and 99.99% of the other games that I know.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I have Win 8.1 and an NVidia GTX 960 card and had to install iRotate to make the ctrl+alt+arrow shortcut work.

What I do want is that you could change the rotation/resolution within TPA without using an external program, so like in eg. Pinball FX and 99.99% of the other games that I know.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that we are both using GTX 960 cards and having this problem natively with ctrl+alt+arrow/shift+alt+arrow, or if it's instead typical for current generation NVIDIA cards running under Windows 7/8/8.1 ? My old AMD R7770 card using AMD Catalyst Control Center had a slight advantage in this respect.

Members online

Members online