Request MFi connectivity/compatibility?

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Stuart, that's an amazing update. Not only for the implementation notification, but your detail!
Whilst I doubt it would help with development, if there's a jail broken device in the office, an app called ControllersforAll grants PS3, PS4 and WiiU Pro controllers MFi compatibility. Probably a damn sight better than the controller you have now!

Wild guess, but this addition will cause a ripple amongst hobbyists wanting to make a mini cab/controller for their iDevices. Appreciate it!
Unfortunately we don't have any jailbroken devices. :p
By the way, the controls are hard-coded (eww, I know):
Standard: D-pad or A button down at plunger to pull plunger back, D-pad in-game for nudging, left and right buttons for flippers, X and Y for secondary buttons (i.e. magnasave).
Extended: left stick for analog nudging, right stick for analog plunging, left and right triggers for flippers, left and right buttons for secondary buttons.

Both: D-pad for scrolling in the table menu, the A button to select and start a table,

I also want to point out that it's only partial support. Most of the menus in the iOS version are setup to only work with touch input and it'd take quite a bit of work to get the current UI system working with full controller support.

Well that review does give me pause. It's an early entry; hopefully we'll see more (and more reasonably-priced) controllers in the future. Incidentally I've yet to launch TPA with the iPad hooked up to the TV. Does the code support external screens (like the Video app) or will I end up with window boxing (like the main screen)?
I'm hoping for more controllers, too. I was told that our app does support HDMI-out but might have framerate issues. Not the most reliable response, but I can't seem to find our HDMI adapter.

...and here's a picture comparing the size of the controller with an Xbox 360 controller:

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I was told that our app does support HDMI-out but might have framerate issues. Not the most reliable response, but I can't seem to find our HDMI adapter.

There's no point in trying. The frame rate issues change the physics of the game and make it a lot more difficult (and less fun).

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Ah well, I tried it and it is windowboxed. A controller would still be worth it to me for the console game collections, but for big-screen TPA it's going to be Wii U or bust!

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
It's in, and it's *glorious*. Just played a session with a PS3 controller and it works perfectly... analogue/gradual nudging (first time possible on iOS) and everything. Only thing noticeable that would be great to see fixed (if possible) is switching triggers for flipper control and to also have flipper staging if using the analogue triggers.

But yeah, implementation is fantastic.

Dascoyne

Dec 11, 2013
It's in, and it's *glorious*. Just played a session with a PS3 controller and it works perfectly... analogue/gradual nudging (first time possible on iOS) and everything. Only thing noticeable that would be great to see fixed (if possible) is switching triggers for flipper control and to also have flipper staging if using the analogue triggers.

But yeah, implementation is fantastic.
I would love to use my PS3 controller. But I assume this is only possible with a jailbroken phone, right?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Yerp. Without it, you can only use the actual MFi controllers which seem to be limited in availability and quite expensive.

Last edited:

Dascoyne

Dec 11, 2013
Yerp. Without it, you can only use the actual MFi controllers which seem to be limited in availability and quite expensive.

Well I'll pay the $$$ for the controller. I'm just waiting for the upcoming Moga Rebel. No doubt it'll cost at least a c-note but it'll be worth it.

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
On MFI Controllers could we have the option added so we can use the bumpers rather than triggers, please.

It makes a big difference to enjoying the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.