Microsoft no longer charges developers to patch their Xbox 360 games.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I came here to post this.

This is huge for Farsight. They stand to mike quite a bit more money now without ever having to worry about update fees eating into their profits. It's big for us because we won't have to wait months for them to add DLC packs together. It will mean regular updates just like PS3 get's now.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
is the terminator 2 licence 40k lower now then ?

No.
FarSight pays all the normal development stuff like buying the table making it in game and releasing it for the Kickstarters. The only money they are asking for is to pay for the rights to the movie, actors, music for that table. Not for the entire development.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Not sure why FS doesnt just re-release TPA with their new Developer minus the games that have been released on the 360 platform already, and then sort out a way to give the tables that xbox user have bought from the old TPA game!!??

Least this way us 360 user can get the table now

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Not sure why FS doesnt just re-release TPA with their new Developer minus the games that have been released on the 360 platform already, and then sort out a way to give the tables that xbox user have bought from the old TPA game!!??

Least this way us 360 user can get the table now

Because a bankruptcy court would never let them circumvent thier contract like that. The contract is an asset, and all assets are tied up in court.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Take that sony?

I like the Xbox, but Microsoft still insists publishers publishing Disc and Xbox Live Arcade titles to require a publisher. Granted, Xbox Live Indie Arcade does not require a publisher, but there are limits in what XBLIA can do. (And Sony is copying XBLIA for the PS4 - XBLIA has been a way to allow "homebrew" games on the Xbox360).

Of course, part of the $40k was a punitive fee for poor QA testing. Remember what happened on iOS? The version before current was released on Friday (Issue #1 - never EVER release software on a Friday afternoon. Everyone who does software development knows that). Of course, it crashed on iOS 5.1 devices and got killed for it on the weeked it was live but before FarSight could post an expedited update (which is allowed for crashes). Microsoft prefers everything on its systems work, so games on there should work without crashing and burning in normal operation.

I believe a title update includes DLC as well. Just hope FarSight tries to not abuse the opportunity. Then again, perhaps the pressure's now on the publisher to help with QA testing.

Edit: Interestingly, Microsoft says they removed the fees as of April 2013, BEFORE the Xbox One reveal.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I believe a title update includes DLC as well. Just hope FarSight tries to not abuse the opportunity. Then again, perhaps the pressure's now on the publisher to help with QA testing.

Sony makes a big difference in Title and DLC in that they allow Title updates but not for DLC. So on the PS3 we can not have fixes to tables that have been released. I really want to make an informed decision for the next generation. I guess I was assuming that this announcement was a general policy shift by MS and not just for the 360. So, maybe they will still charge for title updates on the One?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Take that sony?

I like the Xbox, but Microsoft still insists publishers publishing Disc and Xbox Live Arcade titles to require a publisher. Granted, Xbox Live Indie Arcade does not require a publisher, but there are limits in what XBLIA can do. (And Sony is copying XBLIA for the PS4 - XBLIA has been a way to allow "homebrew" games on the Xbox360).

Of course, part of the $40k was a punitive fee for poor QA testing. Remember what happened on iOS? The version before current was released on Friday (Issue #1 - never EVER release software on a Friday afternoon. Everyone who does software development knows that). Of course, it crashed on iOS 5.1 devices and got killed for it on the weeked it was live but before FarSight could post an expedited update (which is allowed for crashes). Microsoft prefers everything on its systems work, so games on there should work without crashing and burning in normal operation.

Edit: Interestingly, Microsoft says they removed the fees as of April 2013, BEFORE the Xbox One reveal.

DLC Submissions were always free (no QA cause it doesn't involve code/executable). It isn't possible to update DLC on Xbox 360, or at least in any way I've been able to find. And I can't get a good answer from dev support on how to do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts