Microsoft no longer charges developers to patch their Xbox 360 games.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
DLC Submissions were always free (no QA cause it doesn't involve code/executable). It isn't possible to update DLC on Xbox 360, or at least in any way I've been able to find. And I can't get a good answer from dev support on how to do it.
So basically, no DLC tables can be improved once they've been downloaded? So the 360 MM will have the flipper gap and rocket inlanes from now until the rapidly approaching end of the 360's life?

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
So basically, no DLC tables can be improved once they've been downloaded? So the 360 MM will have the flipper gap and rocket inlanes from now until the rapidly approaching end of the 360's life?

Same boat that PS3 is in.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012

Well,the original DLC was pulled from the marketplace,so maybe when it comes back it will have the latest versions with it.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Same boat that PS3 is in.

Nope.

They patched in completely new lighting for the existing tables. It's possible. Even if they have to put the updates in the subsequent DLC packs for the older tables, it's possible.

Also the PS3 situation makes no sense to me. If they can't update DLC, then how did they fix the Monster Bash glitch then? Remember that?

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Nope.

They patched in completely new lighting for the existing tables. It's possible. Even if they have to put the updates in the subsequent DLC packs for the older tables, it's possible.

Also the PS3 situation makes no sense to me. If they can't update DLC, then how did they fix the Monster Bash glitch then? Remember that?

They can't patch DLC on the PS3. That's known. There are some things like lighting that can be updated with an update to the main program. I don't know what the monster bash glitch was.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I think when I brought the MB Frankenstein multiball nudge-scores-jackpots thing up not too long ago, someone said that was actually a code fix, not a table content fix.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think when I brought the MB Frankenstein multiball nudge-scores-jackpots thing up not too long ago, someone said that was actually a code fix, not a table content fix.

That's correct. As Mike said back on page 1 of this thread, there is no executable code in the DLC files. He also told us a long time ago that all the code that controls the playfield toys and such is added to the core game files via the updates. So that stuff can be patched since it's not stored in the DLC files.

Personally I think Farsight should patch all the DLC content into the core game updates so that everything including the art/graphics can be updated too. The DLC files would simply be small authorization files that unlock the content. Gord had the idea and we suggested it to them, but they said that management was opposed to that from the start due to the larger file size for the patches. In this day in age, I really don't think people are bothered by large downloads since a ton of games have patches that are several GB in size. I think we all would agree that the extra download time is worth it in order to have a better game that can actually be patched properly.

Last edited:

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Exactly, if you don't want the new tables then don't update.

Then if a table pack comes out that you really like then you'll just have to download the update once, not as many times as the game has been updated in between.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
...they said that management was opposed to that from the start due to the larger file size for the patches. In this day in age, I really don't think people are bothered by large downloads since a ton of games have patches that are several GB in size. I think we all would agree that the extra download time is worth it in order to have a better game that can actually be patched properly.

Maybe management is still on dailup out there in the woods. : o

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
That's correct. As Mike said back on page 1 of this thread, there is no executable code in the DLC files. He also told us a long time ago that all the code that controls the playfield toys and such is added to the core game files via the updates. So that stuff can be patched since it's not stored in the DLC files.

Personally I think Farsight should patch all the DLC content into the core game updates so that everything including the art/graphics can be updated too. The DLC files would simply be small authorization files that unlock the content. Gord had the idea and we suggested it to them, but they said that management was opposed to that from the start due to the larger file size for the patches. In this day in age, I really don't think people are bothered by large downloads since a ton of games have patches that are several GB in size. I think we all would agree that the extra download time is worth it in order to have a better game that can actually be patched properly.

When you say patch all the DLC in the core game, do you mean PS3 or Xbox 360? MS doesn't allow patches over 4mb, which I still can't understand. (although I seen some games with 100's of MB title updates).

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I really hope that everythings better on Steam. Approval process and patching.
Maybe Valve knows how to satisfy customers & devs.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.