Microsoft To Announce Indie Self-Publishing, New Certification Process

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Another unpopular Microsoft policy appears to be heading for the history books. Sources tell Game Informer that the company is reversing course on its publishing requirements. This will allow independent studios to access digital distribution without a publishing partner.

Independent publishing was a key platform in Sony's E3 2013 press conference, bringing a number of developers on stage. Supergiant Games' Transistor, Abe's Oddysee: New 'n' Tasty from Oddworld Inhabitants and Just Add Water, and Don't Starve from Mark of the Ninja studio Klei Entertainment were just some of the titles on display.

In contrast, criticism of Microsoft's curated approach to its marketplace has amplified in recent months, with several former partners saying they will never work with them again. Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning boldly said of Microsoft's indie policy, "There's one party that's making it very clear they're not interested."

The cacophony of naysayers drove Microsoft to rethink its position. Under the new directive, developers can set their own release dates and pricing, which should make the erratic nature of Xbox Live releases less problematic for creators who want to handle their own marketing.

Additionally, we have learned that Microsoft is drastically overhauling its certification process. The company will use a model similar to iTunes and is targeting a 14-day turnaround for an approvals. Instead of extensive code checking, the company will be looking for terms of service violations and significant bugs.

We've also been told, but cannot confirm, that every Xbox One unit can be converted to a debug console. Instead of specific hardware units, Microsoft can authorize a console ID to play pre-release code. This is in line with information we've received about a new process for beta tests. They will be run via hardware provisioning on Xbox One, with the process reportedly to be enabled for up to 25,000 users per test at launch. Given the ability to provision for beta testing, the ability to enable retail hardware for pre-release code seems feasible.
We've reached out to Microsoft for comment.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...elf-publishing-new-certification-process.aspx

Additional reporting by Matt Bertz and Jeff Marchiafava.

This is great news for Xbox 360 and future Xbox One owners!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Additionally, we have learned that Microsoft is drastically overhauling its certification process. The company will use a model similar to iTunes and is targeting a 14-day turnaround for an approvals. Instead of extensive code checking, the company will be looking for terms of service violations and significant bugs.

That's good to hear.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
As great news as it is, I'm not so keen on Microsoft backpedaling on so much in such a short time, the console could really suffer from being unable to be patched if changes to the console design and network itself aren't vigorously tested ahead of release.

Plus I'm pretty sure it's going to be soundly defeated by the PS4, especially if influential developers stick to their word and don't come back out of principle.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Unfortunately, no mention if this applies to the Xbox 360 as well.

That's right....also even with lifted restrictions, how would FS be able to get out of it's contract with Fill point/Crave? That could take awhile-and we saw just how difficult the process can be over this summer. I'll wait for more info before I get too optimistic.

phantomfriar2002

Apr 13, 2012
Sounds like this is better news for FS concerning the Xbox One than (perhaps) the 360 given the current state of affairs.

Last edited:

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
No, none of this will apply to Xbox360. All of this news is for the Xbox One.

Basically, the Xbox One is going to follow the Apple style of development model - retail units can be converted to development units (no need to pay $10,000 for a real debug console, though I expect the capabilities to be far more restricted than a real unit). Though to do so requires registering the console with Microsoft so it can run unsigned code.

NOTE: NONE of this applies at launch - it will apply shortly after launch in a system update.

And indie devs will not be limited to the "Xbox Indie Arcade", but part of the full system. As such, these games will also have full access to the full spread of features - achievements, Kinect, and everything else.

As for developers boycotting - it won't last. As long as there's money to be made, they'll cave. Because if they don't, some indie dev may just squeeze themselves right in and clean up shop. (And there are a LOT of indie devs that clone popular games - check out the games Gameloft has on mobiles - they're clones of Halo, Diablo, God of War, etc. The early work's pretty lame, but it's only a matter of time.)

Gigabomber

Jul 4, 2013
A further example of how Microsoft is very reactive to consumer criticism (as they have been in the past).
console gaming is one of the very few places that companies actually compete to give us all better/more products rather than simply not giving a ****.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Obviously not all criticism. The biggest thing most fans want from MS is to have the Kinect removed from their systems. I don't mind the Kinect and actually like it. My children adore it. I'm just saying that's what most fans are complaining about.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
That's right....also even with lifted restrictions, how would FS be able to get out of it's contract with Fill point/Crave? That could take awhile-and we saw just how difficult the process can be over this summer. I'll wait for more info before I get too optimistic.

Depends what their contract is for...I am guessing it is just for Xbox 360 since they are developing for Windows 8 which is a Microsoft platform. If they have a contract for any current Xbox product along with any future Microsoft gaming consoles, that could be trouble.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Obviously not all criticism. The biggest thing most fans want from MS is to have the Kinect removed from their systems. I don't mind the Kinect and actually like it. My children adore it. I'm just saying that's what most fans are complaining about.

There's three reasons for that.

1) NSA spying.
2) Xbox One is $500. PS4 is $400. Get rid of Kinect and save $100.
3) Gamers are lazy and don't want to even think about moving their ass off the couch.

(2) has some merit - Sony got rid of the bundled camera to undercut Microsoft on it. Of course, this could be a case of screwing themselves later as every PS4 controller has Move built in, but not everyone will have a camera and thus developers won't make full use of it. It basically guarantees Move will be relegated to a small portion of the games dedicated to motion gaming.

(3) is a misnomer since Kinect doesn't require active gaming - given the improvements to Kinect, it could be used for more subtle movements (like detecting if you tilt your body to the side and use it to peek around cover). Heck, if TPA makes it to Xbox One, imagine nudging by moving your arms around like you would on a real machine - push forward and the machine acts appropriately based on your actual movement. Do it hard enough and you'll slam tilt.

The new Xbox One kinect is quite a bit different from the old Kinect - the latter used distortions in IR patterns to detect depth, while the Xbox One uses a real time of flight depth sensor. Those things used to cost $$$$$ (think 5 digits, minimum).

(1) is somewhat valid, given the current environment, but there's also some disturbing thing about having a camera in the room. Though, given the number of people with smart TVs and phones with cameras, it appears most people don't care. Though, I expect kinect cozies to be created that cover the lens for the time you don't want to skype or game...

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I preordered my Xbox Pretty much right after E3. In my opinion Sony is offering nothing but more of the same. Microsoft on the other hand has really stepped up to the plate. 300,000 dedicated servers and cloud computing through their Azure Cloud network, a vastly improved Kinect that comes standard with each and every console, an HDMI input so the system can interact and integrate other devices such as your cable box, etc.

Then there are the launch and spring titles announced so far. Forza 4, Dead Rising 3, Project Spark, and of course Titanfall all look amazing.

I will gladly pay an area $100 to get the Xbox One over the PS4. Hopefully all the 12 year olds that plagued the 360 end up going with the PS4 though.

In my experience on boards like IGN a lot of those calls to remove the Kinect are actually from Sony fans who had no plans on buying the Xbox One any ways. I think MS is wise not to listen to those folks. The new Kinect is a vast improvement over the original and its inclusion is going to allow developers to do some really exciting things on the Xbox One that you just are not going to find any where else. A couple of years from now people will think themselves nuts for ever wanting it removed.

As great news as it is, I'm not so keen on Microsoft backpedaling on so much in such a short time, the console could really suffer from being unable to be patched if changes to the console design and network itself aren't vigorously tested ahead of release.

Plus I'm pretty sure it's going to be soundly defeated by the PS4, especially if influential developers stick to their word and don't come back out of principle.

Whatever you want to call it, a lot of positives are coming out of Microsoft's recent changes. I certainly would not count Microsoft out this early in the game. As for publishers, they will totally release their games on the Xbox One so long as there is a viable and profitable way to do so.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
From the Pinball Arcade newsletter that FarSight mailed out today:

As many of our fans have noticed, the Xbox 360 version of the Pinball Arcade is no longer available in the Live Arcade store. Our publisher for the 360 version recently emerged from bankruptcy and we'd been told that we would be allowed to immediately submit all of the unreleased Table Packs to our long-suffering 360 users. Unfortunately, Microsoft has elected to revoke the publisher's license agreement (which is why the Pinball Arcade is temporarily not available in the store). However, we have some very good news to share- Microsoft has just announced that indie developers (like FarSight) can now self-publish on Xbox Live Arcade instead of being required to find publishers for their games. This means we can bring the Pinball Arcade back to the 360 ourselves, and also opens the door to an Xbox One version of the Pinball Arcade in the future! Microsoft has stated that the new program will open in August- we will do everything we can to get the Pinball Arcade (and all of the new Table Packs) back on the Xbox 360 as quickly as possible.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Wow that is outstanding news! I hadn't read anything about self-publishing being available on the 360 either so Farsight may have just put out a big news scoop as well!

Redrazorback64

Jun 3, 2013
Excellent! Very excited to hear this! First time I've seen confirmation that self publishing will be available for 360. Great news for Farsight and good move by Microsoft.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts