PC - Request Missing features - PC port

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Having played many tables with full strength flippers, I can tell you it is a glorious thing. Reaching ramps at the back of a play field should not be a dicey proposition. Full strength flippers can actually make certain shots more difficult, as you can't just lob a ball where you want. I've also played many a machine with weak flippers, and that to me is more frustrating than anything, as I feel you are now fighting with the machine instead of having it be an extension of you.

If FarSight could implement true ball spin, I think the challenge would instantly increase. Spin would add more randomness to shots, the ball now capable of bizarre sudden turns (a well waxed Metallica has shocked me in how the ball can react).

Eek!

Nov 5, 2013
i just watched the IGN review im not interested in a PS 4 however i would like to see the lighting menus ported over with options for weaker machines in case your graphics card can't handle it . As it stands right now on a few tables the ball is flying faster then RL (fire power , flight 2000) i would like to be be able to lower the pitch a tad.
Yes, although I want the new lighting I also want to see that it can be disabled for less impressive computers; I've having to replace my dying gaming laptop with a new low-graphics desktop (really, really entry level) as I can't afford anything powerful, so don't want to find I'm unable to play the game come future updates.

Deathtank

Nov 13, 2013
I miss the arcade from Williams Hall of Fame, where you entered it and all machines were there. :(
You could make a floor per season pack, like Season 1 are all in 1° floor, season 2 in second and so on.

And I miss all the music from WHOF!!! bring back Vertex guy's awesome music!!! I see you used just one from the same game, why not add all of them?

Bend to this guy!!

Pure awesomeness!!!

Last edited:

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Yes, although I want the new lighting I also want to see that it can be disabled for less impressive computers; I've having to replace my dying gaming laptop with a new low-graphics desktop (really, really entry level) as I can't afford anything powerful, so don't want to find I'm unable to play the game come future updates.
i can't stress enough how important that is. at least a low end machine will get what we get right now which at least allows play. i don't want to see anyone cut off or forced to purchase hardware to save an investment in the game software .

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
i can't stress enough how important that is. at least a low end machine will get what we get right now which at least allows play. i don't want to see anyone cut off or forced to purchase hardware to save an investment in the game software .

I can practically guarantee to you that the DX9 version we have now will be an option even after the new stuff rolls in. No company is going to alienate a large percentage of their playerbase by cutting off hardware that's still relatively commonly in use. I'm pretty sure someone from Farsight pretty much stated as much, but I can't source that right now since there are so many threads here on the forums and podcasts and stuff it's all kind of hazy.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Assuming everyone buys new PCs and throws away the year old ones and never buys low end systems.

:)

Technically speaking PS4 specs are about on par with top of the line PC models two years ago, so he's not too far off on the average statement I think. Although if you include laptops it's probably not accurate.

Last edited:

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Technically speaking PS4 specs are about on par with top of the line PC models two years ago, so he's not too far off on the average statement I think. Although if you include laptops it's probably not accurate.

There are a lot of people that keep their computers two or more years. Among those folks are plenty that didn't start off with top of the line systems.

Not everyone is such a high end gamer that they keep on the bleeding edge of technology.

Heck, look at what's for sale at just about any store that sells computers. What percentage of them have anywhere near top of the line specs? It's not a very high number.

High end PC gamers are a special group of folks that use hardware that doesn't remotely resemble the vast majority of computer owners who are more casual gamers.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
No problem Retrodude, they can give the people with low specs options like the old lighting, lower textures, etc. so they can run the game just fine.

Just because the average casual gamer has a low-end pc/laptop shouldn't mean the game can't have high-end graphics for people with such hardware.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
There are a lot of people that keep their computers two or more years. Among those folks are plenty that didn't start off with top of the line systems.

Not everyone is such a high end gamer that they keep on the bleeding edge of technology.

Heck, look at what's for sale at just about any store that sells computers. What percentage of them have anywhere near top of the line specs? It's not a very high number.

High end PC gamers are a special group of folks that use hardware that doesn't remotely resemble the vast majority of computer owners who are more casual gamers.

What it boils down to is I think Miguel Paulo was right in his assessment that in a year's time the average PC in use will be more powerful than a PS4. This isn't really surprising or revolutionary, the new console generations never ride the front of computing power. It's not even about high end PC gamers. You'd be really hard pressed to find a desktop PC with less processing power than a PS4 today if you went to the low-end bargain bin section of the store.

Last edited:

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Assuming everyone buys new PCs and throws away the year old ones and never buys low end systems.

:)
thats what i was thinking. This is on store shelves . In my case i purchased something in the low / mid range area around feb 2011 . It was purchased for email and web surfing and iTunes music storage and other storage like pictures. Gaming of any kind at the time of purchase was not even considered. I started with TPA on the iOS platform until the recent steam release. A quick trial / test download i found i could run it just fine in its current state and am in two season packs already with a third planned. Hardware wise i can still get a few more years out of this machine when it wears out then i will replace it as needed. Because i can not say 100% for sure this will handle DX 11 i too will need DX 9 backwards compatibility which as someone posted should be supported . One more afterthought we need to remember pinball ran on machines older then windows '95 and those programs are still around for those that have the skills required to install them.

Miguel Paulo

Nov 18, 2013
I hope hi res textures and DX11 features will be available soon after PS4. I bought TPA for that. PC must have the option to stay on top of every devices and propose the highet amuont of options and customisations. This is the only platform that won't disappear in a few years...

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I hope hi res textures and DX11 features will be available soon after PS4. I bought TPA for that. PC must have the option to stay on top of every devices and propose the highet amuont of options and customisations. This is the only platform that won't disappear in a few years...

Mobile devices probably have about similar longevity honestly, and they are the honeypot for Farsight as far as customer base goes so I'm not surprised if they do some slight prioritizing there. I think the podcast said that we should be getting the DX11 goodies early next year though. I'm hoping that holds.

Termbro

Nov 11, 2013
I edited the first post. Some stuff got added but there's very little progress on PC port.

And I'll ask again - what is the progress on Steam leaderboards? When do we get a proper answer on that? Do the devs seriously expect PC players to compete in tournaments with iOS/Android users?

Retron

Oct 31, 2013
Update: to find out if your graphics will support DX 11 do this:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-version-directx#which-version-directx=windows-7
Mine does so bring on the lighting menus.

That just shows you whether DirectX 11 is installed - which it will be by default on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. Vista users have to install DX11 separately.

As for whether your graphics card supports it, the minimums are:

Geforce 400 series (except 405)
Radeon HD 5000 series
Intel HD graphics 2500/4000 (Ivy Bridge)

Also bear in mind that just because it's supported doesn't mean it'll be fast enough to be playable! :p

Last edited:

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
I think you'll have to be a little more patient. We know DX11 lighting is coming early next year. You can cross off volume controls -- that was added already.

As for viewing the instructions while in a game, I'm guessing that can't be done because the instructions uses the real 3D table with flashing lights and stuff and when you're in a game it needs to keep the state of the current game paused. You would probably need two instances of the table running/rendered to do it. Seems like that would be a problem. If you have a phone or tablet, it actually works really well as a portable table guide that you can bring up while the game is paused on PC. You can view the instructions even with just the demo tables.

Termbro

Nov 11, 2013
As for viewing the instructions while in a game, I'm guessing that can't be done because the instructions uses the real 3D table with flashing lights and stuff and when you're in a game it needs to keep the state of the current game paused. You would probably need two instances of the table running/rendered to do it. Seems like that would be a problem. If you have a phone or tablet, it actually works really well as a portable table guide that you can bring up while the game is paused on PC. You can view the instructions even with just the demo tables.

This would only be a problem if the game's code was a complete mess. PBFX2 offers that, can't see why TPA wouldn't.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
This would only be a problem if the game's code was a complete mess. PBFX2 offers that, can't see why TPA wouldn't.

That's a pretty big claim. The difference is something that was designed to work that way from the outset and something that wasn't. There's no mess involved either way.

Members online

Members online