360 - Bug New 21 mb title update corrupting save file on Xbox360

slicer1000

Jul 25, 2012
I downloaded the new title update on xbox 360. Once downloaded, I was prompted to update via a ingame screen which was strange as I had already done the update via the xbox live message.(you have must has ported code from another version which used this message). After that screen another message came up saying that the game could not load my save game then overwrote it losing all my unlocks:(. To say I am not pleased is an under statement.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
After you installed the Title Update, did you accept or refuse the in-game Optional Update?

Last edited:

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
hmmmm, that's strange... I updated fine, and chose to accept the in game optional (alas there was nothing there...)... and now I get an extraordinarily bright orange-y DMD.

Ozzpot

May 5, 2012
I downloaded the new title update on xbox 360. Once downloaded, I was prompted to update via a ingame screen which was strange as I had already done the update via the xbox live message.(you have must has ported code from another version which used this message). After that screen another message came up saying that the game could not load my save game then overwrote it losing all my unlocks:(. To say I am not pleased is an under statement.
The update message that came up via the Xbox guide was an automatic (and mandatory) update, the same kind you get with almost every game. The in-game prompt to download an update refers to a different update, a far larger, optional update which improves lighting etc.

Unfortunately, Microsoft have seen fit to release the automatic update before the optional one has passed certification, making for a confusing situation. And if you ask me, making this whole certification issue into a complete farce, making this software look like an extremely amateur affair, and making FarSight look like a bunch of idiots. I would like to believe only the former is true. Anyway I hope that explains that.

As for you save corruption issue, I really wish I could offer an explanation but I can't. Hopefully a dev will chime in.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Sorry to hear your save got corrupted. I'll forward this to our QA so they can test and see if they can reproduce why or how it happened.

slicer1000

Jul 25, 2012
PiN WiZ
After you installed the Title Update, did you accept or refuse the in-game Optional Update?

I accepted the second update but it just gave me a error message when it tried to download it. Each time I load the game now I get the prompt for the second game update given. What annoys me is that I had completed the wizards goal on three of the four tables but I am now only getting the standard goals appear again. Having got all the achievements on the williams collection. I don't really want to play through TOTAN the second time let only do it for a third time.

Having worked in QA myself for a number of years save bugs of any kind should not make it into a released game. I know they can be hard to find and microsoft cert teams can be pretty poor but this should have been caught. My xbox is an elite model if that's any help.

Sorry to hear your save got corrupted. I'll forward this to our QA so they can test and see if they can reproduce why or how it happened.

Thanks for the response Mike it's nice to see a dev say this.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Considering the huge amount of people updating, and this being the first we hear of it, I'm not sure QA could've caught that.

For the record: the game asking for a second update, which isn't available, is normal behaviour as EVERYONe gets that each time they load the game, as has been stated before. Thats due to the optional update not being on XBLA servers yet. There are in fact 2 updates, but only one is available. No code ported from other versions.

When booting the game the following WILL happen to everyone
-user boots game
-user gets disconnected from Xbox live
-user gets prompted with required update message
-user accepts update
(afte the title update the following will happen to everyone each time the game is loaded)
-game boots
-game prompts for a second optional update
-user accepts the second update
-user gets (error)message no items are available for download/purchase
-user dismisses (error)message
-game goes to table-select menu

At no point does the game overwrite a savefile and noone's save has gotten corrupted but yours (or so the lack of reports suggest). You sure you didn't try to remove anything from storage (like the title update) to fix this "second update issue" and removed the save file in the process?

Is there a backup available to you in the Cloud?

Last edited:

slicer1000

Jul 25, 2012
This is what happen to me
-user boots game
-user accepts update
(afte the title update the following will happen to everyone each time the game is loaded)
-game boots
-game gives error message about being unable to load save data.
-game creates a new save file as it cannot read the old one over writing it.

As I said bavelb I worked in QA for a publisher. I did not delete or remove anything. I have no doubt that given time I could reproduce this issue myself. If it's any help to the dev I loaded the game via the shop page on xbla clicking the play now option not from my dashboard.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
If you work in QA you also should know how a publisher wants his bugreports but also that a single report out of thousands of users without problems will also be taken with a grain of salt unless said user gives full disclosure on how the error happens.

I think the way you last presented your reportis is a lot more helpful then your previous message that left a lot of room for interpretation.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Out of curiosity, do you have Xboxlive Gold and therefor Cloud storage?

I just tried to replicate this (by deleting the TU and booting the game from the marketplace) and the first time I did this it synced to the Cloud storage. I imagine if you have an empty save there this might be a cause of the issue, however I think this was just due to me backing my save up to the cloud prior to doing this.

I couldnt replicate the corrupting save file btw.

demoburger

Jul 26, 2012
This is what happen to me
-user boots game
-user accepts update
-game boots
-game gives error message about being unable to load save data.
-game creates a new save file as it cannot read the old one over writing it.

As I said bavelb I worked in QA for a publisher. I did not delete or remove anything. I have no doubt that given time I could reproduce this issue myself. If it's any help to the dev I loaded the game via the shop page on xbla clicking the play now option not from my dashboard.

Same thing here.
Started my game from quick launch.
Followed the same steps as above & the rest is history.
Lost my highscores, table goals.
Not happy with this.
As a software developer i know bugs come and go but still.
I hope this will be fixed in time for others.

slicer1000

Jul 25, 2012
Same thing here.
Started my game from quick launch.
Followed the same steps as above & the rest is history.
Lost my highscores, table goals.
Not happy with this.
As a software developer i know bugs come and go but still.
I hope this will be fixed in time for others.

Sorry to hear it happen to you too. I created this topic cause I wanted people to be aware that it might happen.

bavelb I may be the first but I won't be the last. I am saving the game to my hard drive I have Gold membership but have never setup my cloud. There is no such thing as a one off bug they all can be reproduce it just how some take a lot more to reproduce then others.

Last edited:

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Sorry to here it happen to you too. I created this topic cause I wanted people to be aware that it might happen.

bavelb I may be the first but I won't be the last. I am saving the game to my hard drive I have Gold membership but have never setup my cloud. There is no such thing as a one off bug they all can be reproduce it just how some take a lot more to reproduce then others.

I lost all my local high scores too, I've not checked the table goals, but I'm gonna be pissed if they've gone too.

slicer1000

Jul 25, 2012
It's the table goals that annoy me the most I had completed 3/4 tables only 3 wizards goals on ripleys where left.

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
I backed up my save file to the memory card because I was worried about this. I was one of the lucky ones. Actually I backup all the game save data on my hard rive that isn't restricted. I just need to remember to do it more often.

demoburger

Jul 26, 2012
As a test, I removed the update & installed it again.
Again, I lost everything.

Can't wait for the dlc 1 & 2 update though.
Maybe I'll lose all my tables after the update. ;)
I love pinball & forgive Farsight for these problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts