New Game! The 5 Minute Live Pinball Challenge

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If you are a subscriber to the chatroom thread, no doubt you've read about this.

But since most of you aren't....

We've got a fun game going on that we run through the IRC chat room that you can join in by hitting that there 'chat room' tab right below the TPA Fans logo.

It's the 5 Minute Challenge!

Rules are simple. Everyone plays the same table for 5 minutes or when your game ends, whichever comes first. Post your score, winner picks next table.

As an example of what the chat room thread looks like, it goes something like this...

(14:32)<shutyertrap> Okay, next game is Funhouse
(14:32)<hairytick> you gduys whowod have fun olaying thtat one
(14:33)<shutyertrap> game starts at :35, post scores no later than :41
(14:33)<Skill_Shot> k
(14:33)<PTLB> ready
(14:34)<shutyertrap> on mark, get set...
(14:35)<shutyertrap> Go!

At this point, everyone starts playing. Posting by :41 allows everyone a full 5 minutes to play, and then 1 minute to post. This is cuz some people's TVs are in a separate room!

We've been having a blast playing, it is totally an adrenaline rush. Quickly you realize that you can't play the table the same way you might usually play, since points are king, not modes. You'll never curse lengthy DMD animations more, those outlanes will seem more vicious than ever, and a healthy amount of trash talk usually ensues.

Hey FarSight, come watch some time! (then create an online mode for the game. Please?)

So check out the chat room. The channel name is pinballarcadefans. Heretic is in there, a lot, so he can always guide you to when most of us check in, or we post in the chat room thread here to announce our logging in.

We need players! So far the most we've had playing is 4, but if we had 6-8 that would be uber fun. Then we could even do teams! And don't worry about your skill level...it's proven to be brutal to even good players.

Alrighty, hope to see more people in the chat room to play!

FYI...a good time to check in is 6:30pm PST. Do the math yourself to figure out when that is in your neck of the woods.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
This is seriously a lot of fun. A LOT of fun.

The competion is friendly, with a mixture of drunk and sober players, depending on the time of day.

Table selection is fun, and usually results in you playing a table you haven't touched for a while. That is a great thing.

Having this mode formally implemented as a play or tournament option would be great. It would require real-time polling of on-line players, and with the current tech I don't think this is possible.

Like tournament mode, I think this would need to be a different module in TPA for the polling and table co-ordination would work.

I would really love to see it implemented though. Game modes like this make playing TPA new and exciting again.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Monsieur I challenge you to a duel! :) STEP YOUR GAME UP! This gets your blood pumping. I would like an FS employee to join some time. Any way to keep track of my W's? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts