Nexus 7 (2013) replacement

strells

Oct 7, 2014
After yet another screwed up multiball because of touch issues on my Nexus 7, I'm starting to seriously think about a replacement. I think the 7 inch touch screen is perfect for TPA, so I would want another similar tablet. All my table purchases are Android, so I don't want to go to an iPad mini. I got one of the cheapo Fire tablets on cyber Monday, but I want a nicer screen where I can't actually see the pixels! Any recommendations for me?

Thanks,
Steve

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
After yet another screwed up multiball because of touch issues on my Nexus 7, I'm starting to seriously think about a replacement. I think the 7 inch touch screen is perfect for TPA, so I would want another similar tablet. All my table purchases are Android, so I don't want to go to an iPad mini. I got one of the cheapo Fire tablets on cyber Monday, but I want a nicer screen where I can't actually see the pixels! Any recommendations for me?

Thanks,
Steve
No brainer - you want an Nvidia Shield K1 with the Nvidia controller.

It's a nice 8" screen. Runs Android MM 6.0.1 at the moment. The tablet despite being a re released several year old model is incredibly powerful, so fairly future proof. It's cheap, I bought mine at re-launch for £150 & £50 for the controller. The controller is awesome for gaming. The other good thing is although it only comes in one memory variant 16gb, the micro sd card can be mounted as internal storage so add a cheap 32gb sd card and you have 48gb internal memory.
It even has a hdmi out port so you can use it like a console on your tv.
I'm really pleased with my K1. An awesome tablet for next to nothing purchase cost.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Is an update expected soon? It's currently out of stock (the standalone version) at a number of the US resellers.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
No hardware update planned for the Shield Tablet range.

Nvidia withdrew their FCC filing for the proposed updated tablet.

A new Shield console is in the works though.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Don't write off the Xperia range of tablets.

Native PlayStation controller support baked into the ROM makes it very easy to game on it.

Definitely more expensive than Nvidia. I love my original Shield Tablet. It's a battery gobbler though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Don't write off the Xperia range of tablets.

Native PlayStation controller support baked into the ROM makes it very easy to game on it.

Definitely more expensive than Nvidia. I love my original Shield Tablet. It's a battery gobbler though.

Any playstation controller (logically DS3 or later) or just PS3? PS4?
Sounds awesome and I miss playing on my old Nexus 7 as well.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Any playstation controller (logically DS3 or later) or just PS3? PS4?
Sounds awesome and I miss playing on my old Nexus 7 as well.
Look up the spec sheet for the Sony Xperia tablet range to find out the full facts.

Definitely PS3 at a minimum.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yep, some definite asset compression for 4:3 displays which is noted as a known issue with [MENTION=3799]FlippyFloppy[/MENTION] for Android.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I really loved playing tpa on my 2012 nexus 7. It did age poorly and stopped charging unfortunately but man was it great when I got it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
My old N7 2012 is still going strong.
New usb charge port, speaker, and battery last year. My son has it now.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
My old N7 2012 is still going strong.
New usb charge port, speaker, and battery last year. My son has it now.

You don't have the dreaded performance slow down due to the bad flash used in the 2012 model? That's why I moved to the 2013 model.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Looks like the new Nexus 7 tablet could be the one that will send my Galaxy Note 10.1 to retirement. It's getting quite slow lately and with Android 4.4.2 it's not really up to date any more.

But lets wait for the announcement.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
Now I'm in the need of a new tablet and face the same dilemma.

From what I can tell, the new Nexus/Pixel 7" is doubtful.

With that out, the Nvidia Shield K1 looks promising.

The Samsung S2 8" just had a price drop, now only $50 more than the nvidia. Anyone have any experience with this one or if the higher specs vs. The K1 is worth $50?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.